Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multiple module failure  (Read 2776 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Multiple module failure
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2022, 11:59:31 AM »

Module turned on but would not turn off (either local or remote).  I had this happen with an installation but don't recall the details clearly.  IIRC, I installed a 3-way switch (WS4777) in my garage that was using fluorescent tube fixtures.  When I turned the lights on, they would not turn off remotely and I don't believe from the switch.  I believe this was noise that was caused by the light keeping any signal from controlling the switch.  As I recall, the power off by button was not working because something in the switch saw flashing of the lights when turning off and turned back on.

I know this isn't what you described, but the controlled fixture/device can cause the module to act different than expected especially if not designed for it (WS4777 is not designed for fluorescent/LED/etc only incandescent).

HA Man

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2022, 10:39:05 AM »

On but not Off.
Can be a weak signal that when on the load drops the X10 signal too low to operate or the load is making power line noise.
The XPS3 and WS13A are both modules with on off relays.
You can disconnect the Load wire and have Line and Neutral still connected. To see if it makes a difference.
True... but keep in mind that the failed modules don't turn off via their manual pushbuttons, either - so there's more going on than just X10 PLC issues.

As far as disconnecting the loads, I don't believe that I tried that - not even when testing them on the bench.  I did use just a 60W incandescent bulb as load during bench testing - which ought to be (relatively) benign in terms of generating interference.  But, "no load" would be an interesting additional test.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 09:16:45 PM »

Possibly, but the load you are controlling could also be causing the "can't turn off" issue.  If you have a noisy load (fluorescent lights as I experienced) then the turn off and turn on can be different causes but related.

HA Man

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2022, 01:08:33 PM »

Possibly, but the load you are controlling could also be causing the "can't turn off" issue.  If you have a noisy load (fluorescent lights as I experienced) then the turn off and turn on can be different causes but related.

I suppose it's possible that the load could interfere with the module's operation. (In the case of one of these failed XPS3 modules, it was necessary to add an incandescent bulb to the load side (along with its "normal" florescent shop lights load) in order to get the XPS3 to work properly via PLC when initially installed).  But, in general, load issues don't seem to "track with" all the circumstances of these failures.  For instance, in all cases, the modules worked with their respective loads for some time (maybe for years in most cases) before the common malfunction occurred... and the failed modules controlled assorted types of loads yet all suffered a common failure mode.   Also, all replacement modules worked (so far) with the original load circuits.

I didn't think to disconnect only the loads before replacing the failed modules - but I did "bench-test" each of the failed modules while loaded only by either a single incandescent bulb or by a single LED bulb, and got the same results as existed when the failed modules were installed (where they controlled assorted types of load circuits).

So, it appears that something other than the respective load circuits was responsible for the flurry of common failures.

gadgetboy

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2022, 08:41:23 AM »

I have had an XPS3 fail in a similar manner. During bench testing I Jumped the power in to the remote (traveller) connection and in a shower of sparks, the light turned off. Repeated Jumping of these terminals cycled the switch normally with only light sparking and HomeGenie would cycle the switch. I do not know what happened in the switch to allow this to happen, but I replaced the switch anyway as I no longer trusted it. Failure free since then and the cause of failure doesn't matter to me. Its working. iI am now keeping a few of these switches in case of this type of failure again.

Dave

HA Man

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2023, 08:54:12 PM »

I have had an XPS3 fail in a similar manner. During bench testing I Jumped the power in to the remote (traveller) connection and in a shower of sparks, the light turned off. Repeated Jumping of these terminals cycled the switch normally with only light sparking and HomeGenie would cycle the switch. I do not know what happened in the switch to allow this to happen, but I replaced the switch anyway as I no longer trusted it. Failure free since then and the cause of failure doesn't matter to me. Its working. iI am now keeping a few of these switches in case of this type of failure again.

Dave

That's bizarre - and kind of worrisome.  A failure that is "cured" by incorrect connections that cause a shower of sparks?  Wild!  Makes one wonder just what the sparks did to the module.  Sort of the opposite of the normal situation where a shower of sparks usually signals that the module is zapped - and will no longer function. :o  I'd be interested to know what the X10 techs make of this.

guyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2023, 10:58:36 AM »

It got defibrillated!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.