Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Useful Tools and Meters?  (Read 3118 times)

HA Man

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Useful Tools and Meters?
« on: December 02, 2022, 12:08:40 PM »

Having gotten to the point of needing to do "serious" diagnosis of electrical system status and issues, I realize that I need more "fire power" in my toolkit than I currently have (or at least, I need to make better/more clever use of the tools I have already).  Being a bit "search challenged", I didn't run across any existing topics that address this need, so please pardon any redundancy and re-direct me if an appropriate Topic already exists.

What I'm seeking are recommendations for highly-useful and "can't do without" tools, instruments, etc. that apply to dealing with powerline "condition assessment", and with X10 PLC and wireless troubleshooting.   Things that currently come to mind include:
  • Power line status monitor/logger device(s) - to assess and track/log electrical issues on the power "network"
  • Instrument(s) to monitor and assess the status of the X10 PLC "environment" - to quickly track-down PLC trouble
  • Instrument(s) to monitor and assess the status of the X10 wireless "environment" - to quickly track-down wireless signal issues
  • Any especially helpful general trouble-shooting instruments, devices, etc.

My own "X10 network" involves a fair number of a broad range of X10 modules, on an electrical system that spans several physically separated buildings and branch circuits, in an area of approximately two acres.  So, I'm particularly interested in devices that are useful across such a "large" system, and/or that help deal with issues that arise in "expansive" systems.  On the other hand, I don't do this professionally, so I can't justify high-end "professional" tools in most cases. 

What instruments and devices have you found to be especially helpful and well worth the investment?  And why?

Thanks!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Useful Tools and Meters?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 10:52:42 PM »

The products you're looking for were offered by jvde.us but are no longer available. There are several companies that made X10 test devices but you'll only find them occasionally on ebay now.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 09:30:13 AM »

I agree.
Their devices where excellent for X10.
My XTB-IIR  coupler/repeater works extremely well and the XTBM X10 meter comes in handy.
I did see the XTBR still made.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 01:03:17 PM »

I've found the XTBM & XTBM PRO meters( own both) to be extremely helpful in tracking down PLC  issues.
Neither is still being produced but if you find one I'd grab it.
These will save you hours if not days in trouble shooting.

As for RF issues I found a simple repeater strategically placed can help as well as extend RF range.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 01:11:52 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 01:40:23 PM »

What instruments and devices have you found to be especially helpful and well worth the investment?  And why?

Thanks!

I PM'd you a link to a Monterey X10 tester on ebay. It's a well designed tester that'll get the job done for you.

HA Man

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 07:10:12 PM »

Thanks for your recommendations.  I wasn't aware of any of those X10 PLC testing devices, so I'll need to look into each of those.  Any comments on what sorts of troubles those testers are particularly useful for dealing with - and what they are not so good at testing for?

Meanwhile, what about electrical system monitoring/testing devices - to detect non-PLC electrical problems that can disrupt or damage X10 modules.  For instance, sporadic abnormal voltages, spikes, sags, "noise", etc.?  I'm particularly interested in detecting wiring faults such as arcing due to loose connections, and such.  But so far, I'm not finding much that's very useful without being "over-kill" (and super expensive).

Thanks for your responses!

brobin

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 07:47:46 PM »

The X10 testers are useful in determining signal strength received and noise levels at a given point. This will give you a more detailed explanation: https://jvde.us/xtbm/

guyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 08:18:57 PM »

I have the Elk ESM1 signal strength indicator. Very handy.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 09:09:27 PM »

I picked up a Kill A Watt meter several years ago when I was building my log home and wishing to check voltages, wats and amps of things. Since I was planing to be totaly off grid I wanted something that could supply me some extra info for things I planed on automating as well as things I wasn't. https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3GPIFX90G58L8&keywords=kill+a+watt+power+meter&qid=1670206094&sprefix=kill+a+%2Caps%2C545&sr=8-3
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 09:30:19 AM »

While the XTB-ANR was originally designed just to attenuate powerline noise, the more recent firmware also indicates the background noise level.  And if the LED flashes in response to a X10 command, the signal level should be adequate for a X10 device to respond.
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Man

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »

This is a bit of a paradox:  It sounds like several X10 "diagnostic" meters were available, but no longer are.  (Due to lack of demand?)   So, unless those can be found "second hand", it leaves one in the position of having to fall back to clever diagnostic uses for other "tools", or even to tedious "trial and error" (such as systematically flipping breakers and switches, and pulling plugs, etc.)  So, in the absence of good meters, I'd be interested in learning of any such helpful "clever diagnostic uses" that people have developed.

Meanwhile, one area that seems like it hasn't really been addressed here is the area of tools for assessing the "health" of the electrical system itself, and for tracking-down the causes of electrical faults - such as surges, sags, spikes, and so forth.   Some interesting electrical meters have been mentioned here, but it didn't look like any of those were actually fault-trackers in the sense that I'm thinking of.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong about that).  So, I'm curious whether anyone has found/used any good fault-trackers, that "diagnose" electrical system faults apart from X10 issues?

At the risk of "jinxing myself" by mentioning it, I'd say that - perhaps surprisingly, given the extent of my electrical system - I haven't experienced a lot of X10 "comm" problems.  On the other hand, I have encountered more than what seems to be a "reasonable" number of X10 module malfunctions and failures.  There is some reason to suspect that the root cause of these problems are issues arising from the electrical system itself, from either "local" or external causes - particularly some sort of spikes or surges.  Consequently, I'm especially interested in tools to confirm and to efficiently track down such electrical problems.  Anyone found any such good tools?

Thanks again!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 03:07:21 PM »

I suspect you have seen Jeff's troubleshooting tutorials but will post the link.
https://jvde.us/x10-troubleshooting/

X10 Wiki.
https://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 03:09:21 PM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 06:11:45 PM »

You may find this thread helpful as  well.
https://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=11117.msg63562#msg63562
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Man

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 09:47:07 PM »

I suspect you have seen Jeff's troubleshooting tutorials but will post the link.
https://jvde.us/x10-troubleshooting/

X10 Wiki.
https://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page

rofl  Yup, I've visited the jvde site recently... but I think that I've worn out the X10 Wiki from all my poking around in there!  But, I suspect those will be helpful links for others.  Thanks!

HA Man

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 10:31:53 PM »

You may find this thread helpful as  well.
https://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=11117.msg63562#msg63562

I was fortunate enough that I didn't have to go through that "exercise" - because I mapped my circuits as they were being newly installed.

It does bring up a question though:  How to correctly identify the phases in the several sub-panels in out-buildings?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.