Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: High wattage filters for PC  (Read 6925 times)

jagMan653

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
High wattage filters for PC
« on: December 10, 2022, 05:06:28 PM »

The common advice for solving problems is to track down noisy devices and insert filters where they connect to wall outlets. In my case the only really noisy device is a PC with a 550W power supply.  I've been looking at the filtered power strips made by Furman, often used by musicians.

Any suggestions?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: High wattage filters for PC
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 06:39:40 PM »

Check the specification of the modes you are looking at.
Making sure they don't absorb the X10 power line signals as noise on the input connected to your supply outlet.
I looked at one of their models and I got the impression it filtered the AC coming into the strip. You want to absorb the noise trying to go back onto the line.
I have a Smarthome FilterLinc on my computer. 10 Amps so it should not blow its internal fuse on your computer.
Not sure if they are available anymore as they closed and I am not sure the new management. Has started making them yet.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 08:03:05 PM »

The common advice for solving problems is to track down noisy devices and insert filters where they connect to wall outlets. In my case the only really noisy device is a PC with a 550W power supply.  I've been looking at the filtered power strips made by Furman, often used by musicians.

Any suggestions?
Buy this one on ebay. 10 amp noise filter for X10. Plug it into the wall and plug the PC into it.
http://ebay.to/3W9pZFC

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 06:56:10 PM »

I highly recommend that unit.  If you happen to go over 10A for long enough, it has an internal fuse that will pop.  If that happens, you need to open the module and replace.  The fuse is soldered rather than socketted, but it's still a simple through-hole type so not difficult.  I purchased a number of these years ago including some that were "broken" for cheap.  Simple solder/desolder job saved me around $25 each!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 06:10:51 AM »

In the early days.
They made two versions.
1626-5 5 Amp and 1626-10 10 Amp.
Only difference in my comparisons was a 5 or 10 amp fuse. With a higher price for the 10 Amp version.
Same board and components just the fuse.  ::)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 09:42:57 AM »

I can confirm. The broken units i fixed were 5A models. The board was the same model with a 5A fuse. I simply installed the same 10A fuse from the other unit and put in service. All other parts were the same (at that time on my units).

jagMan653

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 01:00:20 PM »

I think I should clarify how I provide power to my PCs & nearby devices.

I have 2 PCs, my primary running Windows 10 Pro & a backup running Windows 10. The latter is used only to test software I've developed. My keyboard & display are switched to the wanted PC by means a 2-port IOGear DVI/KVM device.

Both PCs are plugged into an APC Pro 700 UPS. The latter is plugged into a wall outlet on the circuit that shows high noise when the Windows 10 machine is on. I haven't checked the noise when the Windows 7 machine is in use.

The APC Pro 700 UPS also supplies a power strip with wall warts for NetGear 608 Ethernet switch, LinkSys router, Wuloo wireless intercom charger, OttLite desk lamp.

A 6-port power strip plugged into another wall outlet on the same circuit has 3 wall-warts for: cordless phone charger, a WD MyCloud external drive, and a PixStar Photo Frame.

I realize wall warts & power strips are natural noise suspects, but are not likely to be what's causing noise error reports since the latter goes away when the Windows PC is turned off.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 01:17:47 PM »

All of those devices can cause issues for X10.  The UPS and power strip can have a device that helps with noise for devices plugged in.  Others that know more have stated that's some kind of a capacitor that smooths out noisy power going into the strip and could cause problems for sensitive electronics.  But that also apparently absorbs X10 signal (which would look like noise to the strip) and can reduce the signal strength elsewhere in the home (signal suckers).  I don't know the details, but PC power supplies and other charging type devices can be noise generators.  So, all of that concentrated at one location can cause a lot of problems locally and throughout the home.

I noticed this in my office which at the time had 2 PC's, 1 laptop, a 1500 UPS, power strip, all-in-one printer, network equipment, etc.  As a result, I had no signal on that breaker and it was affecting other things in the house.  I wanted to use a filter, but was concerned I might be getting close to 15A peak.  The plugin 5A X10 filter was not recommended because exceeding it's rating causes smoke.  I considered the 10A SmartLab filter but opted to roll my own solution.  I took the guts out of a 20A X10 inline filter and installed it into a 2-gang box and created my own filtered power strip.  I have 2 filtered and 2 unfiltered plugs that all of my electronics can connect to.  If I redid anything, I'd use a heavier duty box, but otherwise all has worked great for a very long time!  That said, if you are clearly under 10A, I'd just use the SmartLab 10A FilterLinc which is a great product and ready to plug in and use.

brobin

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 02:40:47 PM »

@jagman653 - Unplug the UPS from the wall socket and plug it into the filter. Plug the filter into the wall outlet. Done. No more noise on the line!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 04:13:08 PM »

I would also say the UPS into the FilterLinc.
The AC conditioning on the input can also absorb X10 and Insteon power line signals.

Side note.
Have you tried the electronics when on battery?
Most new computers have a power factor correction circuit in them.
If your UPS is not a pure sine wave. Some computers shut down thinking their is a overload.

jagMan653

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 02:17:04 PM »

@jagman653 - Unplug the UPS from the wall socket and plug it into the filter. Plug the filter into the wall outlet. Done. No more noise on the line!

Right on, @brobin!

It's now showing no noise on that circuit. Many thanks. Now, I'll see if everything is working. As you may recall, the PalmPad was able to control our lamps with LED bulbs (through appliance modules), but schedules weren't working. Might have to reprogram using Active Home Pro.

brobin

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2022, 02:21:19 PM »

Glad to hear the noise issue is solved.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2022, 06:04:26 PM »

Nice to see the FilterLinc was a suggest.

jagMan653

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2022, 06:31:34 PM »

Nice to see the FilterLinc was a suggest.

Indeed it was, @brian H. I hope the outfit springs back to life!
Many thanks.

jagMan653

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2022, 02:04:17 PM »

As I said the FilterLinc is filtering the noise from my desktop and the PalmPad HR12A controls the lamps on/off, but lamps don't respond go on/off according to the schedules programmed into the CM15A.

To determine why, I moved the CM15A from it's usual laundry room location to my computer room, plugging it into the pass-through outlet of the FilterLinc. I was disappointed to find the PalmPad doesn't work with the CM15A so relocated. I assume that's because the RF transmitted by the CM15A doesn't make it through the several plaster/lath walls.

Since I can't move my desktop into the laundry room and don't have the AHP app installed on my laptop, I'll try checking the schedule programming with the CM15A in my computer room (with batteries installed) and then move it to the laundry room to test it.

Am I on the right track?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.