Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HomeGenie 1.4.0-beta***  (Read 896 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
HomeGenie 1.4.0-beta***
« on: January 14, 2023, 07:12:34 AM »

The first thing users are going to notice is the new UI. The alpha build use to include both the old and new UI so users could get use to the changes. That option seems to be gone with the beta builds or at least I haven't been able to do it yet. I'm still not sure I like the new UI but I'm sure it will grow on me. You can still create your own programs but you can no longer make custom widgets. 
 Many of my HG programs are going to require some modifications to work with the newer builds but that is due them having custom widgets
 The new HomeGenie builds are mostly 64 bit so you need to be sure to install the correct build.
 If using a pi older then a 3b+ that means you can't use the net core builds. I've not loaded up a core beta (64 bit) build yet but hope to do so soon.
 Older HG backups do work with the new build so that does save alot of time.  >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: HomeGenie 1.4.0-beta***
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 11:25:31 PM »

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if you plan to rewrite your scripts to C# or JS, or reimagine your setup again?  I recall you made extensive use of Python in HG but now that it's been deprecated in the new series of betas, I'm wondering how you'll update.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 07:14:43 AM »

I did most of my code with visual studio but did some python code for stuff which ran outside of HG and HG pulled on the results. I don't believe I did any iron python programing. Currently it looks like HG is moving backwards  to me as many of the things that got me into HG are now gone, even from early alfa builds. I just started to play with the beta netcore (64bit) builds but I don't  currently see any noticable benifit to running netcore. For me they seem slower but I've not done much yet.
I believe any recoding I'll have to do will be to utilize the built in widgets which would also be a step backwards :-\
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 02:09:32 PM »

My best advice to anyone using HG is stick with the last stable release (v1.3 19 as far as I remember). The HG author has gone off on a tangent and you’re likely to end up in a mess. The HG forum has finally disappeared and you’re unlikely to get any meaningful support elsewhere. The HG GitHub is not the place to get support and the author appears to have neither the time nor the inclination to provide it. If he was being serious about this he’d have his own forum in place like any other developer.  Basically you’re on your own now so if you have something that works don’t break it for the sake of testing something that frankly has no idea what direction it’s going in.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 06:08:40 PM »

I downloaded the latest net.core version for my 3B+ (1.4.0-beta.17) today. Finaly Gene has added back the means to view cameras as well as a way to supposedly add custom widgets. :)%. The video widgets works for my Ip cameras but doesn't  allow for presets or any extras. It does allow for streaming from other sorces but didn't  attempt to setup anything else.
The custom widget add isn't  a easy thing to get my head wrapped around yet. And a bit clunky IMO.  With this version  it is starting to come close to 3.1.9 functionality, still users only have the option of the new UI  B:( :( this means a huge learning curve as documentation is none existent so far.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 08:18:23 AM »

I downloaded the latest 1.4.0 beta now at 24, installed both the netcore(64 bit) and net472(32 bit) versions on different raspi boards. Saddly the performace is still not close to that of the 1.3.19 build.
The 64 bit suffers from segmentation faults among other issues which unless a service is stetup with the auto restart will not stay running long enough to setup.
The 32 bit version is a little more stable but in that you can set it up before creating a service.

Both still lack many options of the 1.3-stable.19 build however iron python programming has been added back.
I played with the new modular VLP (wizard type) programingwhich is a nice add but it is lacking the RF capture which the old wizard script had.  For anyone planning on sticking with HG I'd recommend installing on a old pc or pi to learn it, but keep the 13-stable.19 running as your work horse for now. The old UI is gone so it will take some getting use to the new one.

I had contiplated moving to a new HA program and even started to install some but most recommended a pi 4  stating that a pi 3b would work, meaning my old zeroW wouldn't handle them as they were built for 64 bit processors.  :-[
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.