Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: using automatic sunup/sundown triggers with motion sensors  (Read 3365 times)

gadgetboy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
using automatic sunup/sundown triggers with motion sensors
« on: April 17, 2023, 09:22:47 AM »

Hi again.

Me again with another dumb question.

I have a detatched garage/workshop with lights triggered by motion sensors. The same trigger activates the putside light on our walkway. So far so good.  Because of our location in Canada dawn and dusk times vary widely through the year and would prefer to use sunuo/sundown as triggers to enable input from my MS16s to have control of the lights at night.

I have tried many different ways to enable sunup/sundown control and have not yet had any success. What have I missed? Is there something I have missed enabling or is it just somthing I haved not entered correctly while attempting to set this up? I have no problems setting timers up with on/off times and have run this for years by setting timers month-by-month but believe thie sup/sundown would be a more effective use of HomeGenie and the RPi.

I am setup on 3B+ with Bullseye and fully updated HG 1.3. Any tips would be appreciated.

guyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: using automatic sunup/sundown triggers with motion sensors
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 12:48:19 PM »

I'm not a HomeGenie user so I don't know how it handles this, but some control systems have you enter your longitude, latitude and timezone in order to automatically calculate sunrise/sunset times. That's how the Ocelot controller does it. Does HomeGenie have something similar?

gadgetboy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 09:07:15 AM »

Yes. I have set my global position properly. I am certain I have messed up some little thing (colon in the wrong spot, space misplaced, or something similar) as this has happened before.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 05:39:26 PM »

Is your pi OS location set correctly?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

gadgetboy

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 10:31:21 AM »

Yes. Both os and Open Weather map have been set

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 06:52:36 AM »

Double check your pi location using raspi-config then in HG  maintanece double check your lat and longitude, make sure you haven't mixed the two up. The openweather map settings  shouldn't affect your timers. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

gadgetboy

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 09:32:40 AM »

Latitude and longitude are correct in HG (within 1/4 km) and the setting in RPi looks right as well.  I believe my difficulty is in not knowing the needed command structure when setting it up. The last time I did anything like this was in 1989 while setting up inventory control for a local agricultural distributor. Plus that was on K-man, Windows 5 and in the days of CRTs and dot-matrix printers. As you can tell, my skills are very rusty and out-of-date. Thank you for your help.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 04:05:22 AM »

It’s nothing to do with your settings on the RPI. You need to use the Solar Times function in Homegenie. Have a look at the Advanced Smart Lights program created by @bkenobi . That should solve your problem. http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/index43a5.html?topic=1682.0;prev_next=next

gadgetboy

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 09:23:00 AM »

Thaank you. I'll give that a try.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.