Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Outlet not working - tester indicates an open neutral  (Read 2309 times)

Kevinicus

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Outlet not working - tester indicates an open neutral
« on: May 30, 2023, 11:29:50 AM »

I'm building a home theater, and trying to implement a solution I had used previously. My subs use physical power buttons, so they are not able to be operated by remote. To remedy that, I got a X10 20A outlet to use for them. It worked great.

I'm wiring my electrical for my new space, and the outlet is not operating correctly. It's not supplying power to anything plugged in, not responding to remote commands, and using a tester, I get a reading of "Open Neutral."

I checked all the connections, and they are all secure. I even swapped out the X10 outlet for a standard outlet, and the standard outlet tested fine and supplied power.

I'm wondering if this could be due to the X10 outlet being downline from a GFCI outlet? The outlets are in an unfinished space in my basement, and code requires that there be GFCI protection. If it is causing an issue, what would the possible solutions be? I figure I could replace the GFCI with a standard outlet after inspection, but would rather not have to go that route.

Are there other possible causes?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: X10 Outlet not working - tester indicates an open neutral
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 08:46:25 PM »

Have you tested the X10 outlet on a non-GFCI circuit?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 06:06:08 AM »

Have you tested the X10 outlet on a non-GFCI circuit?
That sounds like a good test.
I have an extension cord with a set of WAGO Lever Nuts on them. To do such tests. With modules with screw terminals. I just remove the Wine Nuts and connect to the subject module.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 10:32:43 AM »

I have seen where some GFCI receptacles cause issues while others do not.  I don't know how these are constructed to say which component would be the culprit so all I can say is test in another location.  Why would you have your home theater GFCI protected (unless it's below grade in a basement or in a converted garage)?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.