Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Open Source Hardware?  (Read 2217 times)

Tashtari

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Open Source Hardware?
« on: June 16, 2023, 10:16:24 AM »

Any chance anyone out there is interested in collaborating on some open-source X10 hardware?

It seems to me that there are a handful of opportunities for useful stuff for the X10 community, things like debugging/diagnostic tools, repeaters, interfaces, things that the forum's own Jeff Volp has sadly but well-deservedly retired from providing.

My electrical engineering knowledge is solidly "enough to be dangerous", but my PIC firmware chops are pretty good, I've made a number of well-received retrocomputing firmware projects (my github username is 'lampmerchant' if you're curious) and would love to partner with someone whose skillset complements mine on the electrical side to work on some cool projects.

Tashtari

Re: X10 Open Source Hardware?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 11:01:53 AM »

Guess not! <:)

I've had a look at Microchip's AN236 appnote, and... I dunno, maybe I'll screw together the courage, but at the moment, 120VAC is a little too spicy for me.

If anyone sees this thread later, feel free to resurrect it!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 05:52:30 PM »

The X10 and PRO line modules.
Are power line run as you have seen.
Many have a common or hot power supply connection directly to the AC power line.

AMXoldhack

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 01:56:51 AM »

Your post got me curious. Ive been hacking x1o modules since the BSR days. I'm a retired industrial electronic technician.
(had my own LLC company) I'm very familiar with the AC side of things. what exactly are you looking for?  >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 06:58:05 AM »

Your post got me curious. Ive been hacking x1o modules since the BSR days. I'm a retired industrial electronic technician.
(had my own LLC company) I'm very familiar with the AC side of things. what exactly are you looking for?  >!
Do you have experience with the later X10 modules?
The Soft Start Lamp and CFL Friendly Appliance modules.
The surface mounted controller is a new one.
The power supplies are not the ~20VDC but a ~3.3VDC.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 12:38:00 AM »

Any chance anyone out there is interested in collaborating on some open-source X10 hardware?

It seems to me that there are a handful of opportunities for useful stuff for the X10 community, things like debugging/diagnostic tools, repeaters, interfaces, things that the forum's own Jeff Volp has sadly but well-deservedly retired from providing.

I missed this discussion when it was first posted. While I'm winding down, several products are still available until the existing inventory is depleted. Most stock is the XTB-523, but there are also still some XTBR, ANR, 232, and F15+.

Regarding open source, all schematics are on line along with assembly notes.  When the inventory is finally gone I plan to release the final PIC source code for all products.  If anyone wants to offer the XTB-IIR again, I can provide the Gerber files and info on how to order the custom machined case.

Jeff

X-10 automation since the BSR days

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 10:48:41 AM »

The XTBM-Pro will be available again.  Another engineer will be building a small batch of the Pro in the near future. PCBs and components are on order.

Anybody want to take over XTB-IIR production?

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 04:37:23 PM »

The XTBM-Pro will be available again.
That is great news!  I have a spare that I refuse to give up, but I've seen others asking where to get an X10 meter for a while now.  The XTBM-Pro and XTB-IIR are the two must-haves for any modern X10 installation.

gadgetboy

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 09:27:34 PM »

I have been hoping someone will pick up production of the XTBIIR as there doesn't seem to be many out there. Being in Canada, the shipping, customs, and general foofaraw seem to be excessive especially for a used item.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.