Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Difference between X10 and X10Pro devices  (Read 1402 times)

Tashtari

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Difference between X10 and X10Pro devices
« on: June 28, 2023, 11:06:11 AM »

I was wondering, so I emailed support, and I figured I'd post their answer here for all to see.

While the PRO and non-PRO items look and function exactly the same, PRO items are "burned-in" for extra reliability and subject to higher manufacturing standards. They also come with a 2 year manufacturer’s repair/replace warranty – where the non-PRO items come with a 120 day repair/replace warranty.

It seems very strange that a company would have two different levels of quality control, let alone use two separate model numbers to denote it, but there it is...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Difference between X10 and X10Pro devices
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 05:49:41 PM »

The PRO models also had a longer warranty. Two years. On the ones I looked at tonight.
The X10 models where less time. 120 Days on the ones I looked at tonight.

There may also now be a few PRO models with added features not in the X10 line.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 06:21:47 PM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 02:01:01 AM »

IMO, they are likely the same exact parts.  I seriously doubt they are "burning in" the modules.  My guess would be that they simply put a longer warranty on it which is funded by the larger price tag.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 02:43:16 PM »

Unless there were some feature difference the warranty itself makes little difference.  I've had very few module failures in the 40 years I've been using X10 and none were within the first few years.  I still use 40+ year old brown BSR modules!

gadgetboy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 09:26:47 AM »

I am still using some of the modules I purchased in 1986, other than the controllers. Most of the controllers had moving parts that were not up for constant use and abuse by pets and friends "trying stuff out". RPi and android cured that.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 05:42:30 PM »

Still have some BSR original ultrasonic controllers and remotes in the X10 bin. They just won't die!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 06:22:41 AM »

Anyone have any experience with the redesigned modules?
The ones with surface mounted parts and different power supply design.
Made while X10WTI was still in business.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2023, 10:50:09 AM »

FWIW A long time ago the then "Technology VP" at the original X10 told me the Pro line was 100% tested, while the standard line was only sampled. He did not say whether there were component quality differences, but I think the components are the same between both lines. At the volumes they were making back then, I don't see X10 having different quality components just for the Pro line. $0.02.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2023, 11:45:12 PM »

That's exactly what I would have expected.  There are other manufacturers (tools for example but can't remember the brand I saw recently) that have the same model.  There's nothing wrong with the consumer line, they simply test 1 out of 1000 whereas the pro line every unit gets a thorough test.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2023, 03:32:04 PM »

Testing is important to deliver a quality product.  I just finished another batch of XTB-523's.  I check the transmitter waveform and peak-to-peak output voltage.  Then I check the input sensitivity and verify the bandpass amplifier is centered at 120KHz.  Then injecting 120KHz noise just below saturating the amplifier, I verify it will still decode stronger X10 commands.  After that I install the cover and plug it in one last time to make sure the LED had slipped into the lens.

The LED didn't light on one of them, so I assumed it had not gone into the lens.  I took it apart and made sure it went into the lens when I reinstalled the cover.  Still dead.  Hmmm...

I took the cover off and it worked fine.  Back on, dead again.  After verifying all solder joints were fine, I discovered the LED dimmed and went out when there was any pressure on the transformer bobbin.  The cover just touches the bobbin, which was causing it to open circuit. It works fine after the transformer was replaced.

With thousands shipped, that's the first one to behave like that.  If I didn't bother to re-check the LED after the cover is installed, it would have been dead when the customer who received it plugged it in.

Testing is important...

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.