🔌General Home Automation > Automating Your House

X-10 Forever! - BVC Still Applicable?

(1/3) > >>

Esgelrothion:
Hello, everyone! Let me start by saying how grateful I am that this forum exists! I’ve found the answers to so many questions here! I started in HA last year when I bought my first house! I found an old Homeminder at goodwill for only $15 and have been hooked on X-10 ever since. It’s dead simple to use, and the thrill of my lights turning on automatically and motion sensors detecting my presence never gets old. Plus I am a big fan of not incorporating any more Wi-Fi devices into my home than is strictly necessary. I’m soon to incorporate two automatic roller-shades into the system, and I am very excited for that!

While digging through the forums I came across the thread about Bill’s BVC program, and I’m absolutely gobsmacked! I never knew such things were possible with X-10! It seems like something I’ve just got to try for myself! The “Star Trek factor” alone is incentive enough! It seems like the program is no longer in development, however, and Bill seems to have been absent lo these 15 or so years since that thread was last active. Bill’s forums also seem to be defunct as well. So, before I go out and purchase a PC (I’m a Mac user) and try and download Windows XP, go out and buy microphones and speakers for each room, etc., I figured it was best to check in here. I’m leery of sending Bill a donation on PayPal through his website for the full version, not because it’s not worth it of course, but because I’m not sure if it’s still available. Would anyone have any insights? I’d love to embark on this next stage of my HA journey, but I’m worried I’ve missed the boat by a decade or more. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance!

Brian H:
Welcome to the X10 Forums.
Can't say about Bill but if he or anone that knows more will probably chime in.
If you have not found it yet. JV Digital made some very good accessories. A few may still be available.
I have a few of their devices myself. Like the XTB-IIR coupler repeater. Hits my system with >10V X10 signals and my lowest area is still about 1V, Too bad it is one of the modules no longer made.
His troubleshooting tutorials have given me lots of help over the years. https://jvde.us/x10-troubleshooting/

Tuicemen:
Welcome aboard Esgelrothion,
You could always reach out to Bill via email.through his site. Most users have moved to Alexa or Google for voice control. Some like myself have moved away from using a PC altogether for x10.

Esgelrothion:
Thank you both very much for your responses!

@Brian H - I’ve looked at those tangentially but need to look deeper. I do have a SignaLinc coupler/repeater that I’ve had good results with. Really the only trouble I’ve had is with the SS13A wireless wall switches - with some lights it takes a few tries, despite the TM751 being very close to the switches. But that’s not a major issues in the long run. I’ve ordered some RSS18 switches and will be interested to see if there’s any difference (I expect not). I’ll definitely take a look at those troubleshooting tutorials!

@Tuicemen - Yours is a name I recognize well from the BVC thread! I sent an email to Bill through his website but shortly afterwards discovered his forums are defunct and parts of his website no-longer in operation. That led me to wonder if he checked that email, so I figured I’d post here. Would be great to hear from him if he is still around! I know I’m in the minority, but I’m not a fan of Alexa and Google and would not choose to have one of those devices in my home. I know my cellphone is already listening to me all the time but I don’t need anything else like that, haha. I know that makes me sound a bit crazy, but one of the things I love about the Homeminder is that it doesn’t require an internet connection or an app or anything like that. It would be fun to incorporate BVC into the mix without relying on a constant internet connection. I guess I just like things old school! Thanks so much for the response!

Brian H:
So you have a Smarthome 4826A 4 pin or 4826B 3 pin coupler repeater.
They did work in my signal tests. Memory here maybe ~ 3 volts X10 signals on both phases. On an XTBM X10 signal meter. Though one of mine (I had 2) lost output on one phase but the Transmit LED indicated it did send a signal back to its phase. The LED patterns can sometimes give you added information. Like did the TM751 get to the 4826 and was it resent.

Look for signal suckers on the TM751 and controlled receive circuits. The SS13A maybe received by the TM751 but not reliably getting to the modules you want to control. I have some LED TVs. That have a capacitor across the power lines to stop its internal electrical noise from getting back on to the power lines. That capacitor absorbs X10 signals as noise. I have one outlet with a .2V X10 signal when the TV is connected and about 7.5V X10 with it disconnected. An XPPF fixed that. Though .2V X10 is way better than the minimum signal to reliably control a module.

I do have a few X10 devices in use with an Insteon system. As the earlier modules also accepted an X10 address added to them. I can still control them with an HR12A. One house code sixteen unit code remotes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version