Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newer x10 Appliance Modules Lower Range?  (Read 984 times)

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Newer x10 Appliance Modules Lower Range?
« on: October 21, 2023, 04:48:50 PM »

So we remodeled the guest bedroom and added an led strip behind the dresser.  The lights have a switch on them which defaults to "Off" with a power loss.  I put an old Radio Shack branded appliance module on it and it has that local control feature where it kicks back on with a little power interruption.  The new appliance modules  that I have on the LED aquarium lighting do not have that feature, so the lights do not kick back on or flash when it is off which is great.

This not a big deal since the lights have to be turned back on at the local switch anyway since there is enough power loss before the Radio Shack model clicks back on, but if I ever move or run out of old modules, it would be nice to know what is going on. 

Most of the modules I have are grounded and the regular kind with just the x10 on and I have a few Pro series which behave the same way.  The one ungrounded one would not respond to any signals on the patio. I am using the WM 100, but same results on the plug in controller.  I do think the patio and guest bedroom may be on a different phase than where the WM Pro and other controllers are plugged into.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Newer x10 Appliance Modules Lower Range?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 06:08:56 PM »

The newer appliance modules (called CFL Friendly LEDs where coming into the picture) do not have local control as you have found out.
X10WTI did not change the part numbers on the later ones.
Testing with a lamp as you have done should find the later ones with no local control.
Date Code may also give you a clue. Mid 2007 was when the lamp modules and appliance modules was done.
Completely different electronics with surface mounted chips and a 100% different power supply.
I have not seen any comparisons on the newer ones and the older ones, but a different power line sensitivity is very possible.
Do you have any phase coupler or repeater between the phases?
As you suspect the questionable area maybe on the other phase.
Could also be a signal sucker or noise maker on that circuit.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 06:17:27 PM by Brian H »

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Newer x10 Appliance Modules Lower Range?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 09:29:43 PM »

Thanks!  I didn't think about noise since the older ones worked, I unplugged the power strip that only had the Arlo camera on it and it works fine.  But then I plugged the power strip back in and it still worked, so go figure!  I used to use a noise filter, but the module for the lights now occupies that precious space in the lower outlet.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 09:38:15 PM by arizona480 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.