Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problems caused by Generators  (Read 849 times)

JoKer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Problems caused by Generators
« on: January 22, 2024, 12:50:12 PM »

Hello,

I recently had a Generac standby generator and automatic transfer switch installed (professionally).   Since approximately the time of installation, several symptoms have shown up in my X10 system (while the generator is NOT running):  Several X10 devices no longer respond to any commands... there have been spontaneous (un-commanded) activations and deactivations of apparently random devices,.. and in some cases, improper response to commands.  Also, although I'm not positive, I think there were a few instances where the wrong devices responded to commands.

X10 support reports known problems with interference from generators, that cannot be filtered-out by available filters - but had no information about the actual cause of the interference, nor about troubleshooting it.  Although the symptoms suggest PLC corruption (or suppression) by interference, there are other possible problems - such as phase-coupling issues (the coupler-repeater is still in the main panel, while most circuits are now in the ATS sub-panel) - and wiring faults.  It's also possible that the problems are not due to the generator/ATS and simply coincident in timing with the installation - but that seems unlikely.

In any case, when the ATS is in normal mode (utility power), the generator isn't running, and its AC output is physically disconnected from the house wiring - so its only remaining sources of interference would be its battery-charging system and its controller.  If I can determine where the feeds for these components tie into the house wiring, then perhaps those feeders could be filtered.  Beyond that, I have no ideas.

If the installation re-wiring has somehow re-routed the previous phasing and/or somehow suppresses the coupler-repeater, then part of the problem may be due to phase-coupling issues - but I can't quite figure how.  Perhaps the coupler-repeater died?

Anyway, I'm hoping for some ideas of what's going on, how to trouble-shoot (especially testing the phase coupler-repeater), and good suggestions for resolving the problem(s) - that apparently resulted from the generator installation.  Can you help?  TIA...

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Problems caused by Generators
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 03:43:01 PM »

I have a Kohler whole house genny and transfer panel and my X10 stuff is unaffected both when it's running and on standby but Generac may be different. I'd check to see if your coupler/repeater is defective.  To do that without a signal strength meter is tough so you might want to buy a new one and try it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 04:08:48 PM »

If the charger is internal to the generator itself.
It maybe hard to get a filter to wire it into with out a possible generator warranty being voided.
The X10 XPF is a 20 Amp wired in filter and could be a possible cure.
If the charger is 220VAC. They do show using two. One for each phase and neutral.
If it is a 120VAC plugged into an outlet. The XPPF is only 5 amps.
Jeff still has some XTB-F15+ filters. They are 15 amps and the Insteon Filterlinc is 10 amps.
The repeater may depending on the brand and model.
May have an LED that flashes on receiving an X10 power line command or some noise around the X10 power line frequency.
Your modules turning on by themselves.
Could be noise as we have occasionally seen other with similar issues.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 04:30:10 PM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 07:41:56 AM »

I have a Generac standby generator at my off grid place the  generator. I have no issues with x10 while running or not except for things that would normally cause issues like my laptop power supply or Keurig. Since I'm off grid I have no transfer switch so wiring of the generator would be a bit different. I'd turn off the breaker at the generator and the breaker going to the generator. To see if you still had issues. That should eliminate the possibility of the generator  being the culprit.
Since the generator has a computer on board (control board) it is possible that's the issue if turning off breakers solves the issues.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 01:23:32 PM »

Not sure if any of this helps your issue, which others seem to be addressing. But as for generator "noise", the issue is harmonics. Some generators create few, others, quite a bit.

Your biggest concern here is sensitive electronic circuits. The best way to filter out harmonics is via a UPS on the line the sensitive device is plugged into.

Now that said some UPS devices are bad x10 noise makers.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 01:50:38 PM »

Some of the UPS units.
AC input filters can be signal sucker.
As they treat the X10 power line signals a noise.

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 04:01:24 PM »

I should have noted do not put any x10 device on a UPS, for just that reason.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.