Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Video doorbells anyone?  (Read 2264 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Video doorbells anyone?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2024, 08:03:20 PM »

Doing what you want using Alexa to operate a relay would be very easy. I know you'd like to avoid a cloud solution but any connection better than dial up would be adequate. When motion is detected or the doorbell button is actually pressed, the doorbell tells Alexa and an Alexa Routine can operate a $10 WiFi relay. Might be worth a try and you can return the relay for free if it doesn't work.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2024, 08:09:24 PM »

Connecting to an outside server requires that the connection be reliable and the service active.  I am not looking for solutions that go that direction after having several devices become paper weights by the vendors closing down their servers.  The connectivity is also a concern due to throttling my provider has gifted us recently.  I understand that Alexa is a solution, it's just not a path I am interested in pursuing at this time.  I did consider a way to make a wireless relay that was triggered by my local system work but from my experience, triggering from the device itself is the most reliable way to have a permanent solution.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2024, 10:23:43 PM »

I did a little more research and the Blink units available from Amazon are sold at my local Lowes.  These are advertised as wired/wireless and work with existing chimes.  Since I was at the store anyway, I picked one up to try and although it has terrible app support and no real local video (sorta, but not really).  After installation, it does trigger the chime correctly from the app and it can trigger from the camera (though it doesn't work every time I push the button for some reason).  Either way, it looks like the Ring I replaced was wired/wireless (meaning a battery inside) and the Blink is the same.  Maybe I just need to add that to my requirements and I'll be good?

brobin

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2024, 10:56:59 PM »

Apparantly having the battery keeps the camera alive when the current drops from the chime operating. Does it have a slot for an SD card to extend recording time?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2024, 10:54:02 AM »

That's my best guess.  If the camera has a battery (or a large enough capacitor), if the power goes out or during the ring event when the voltage/current drops, the camera can continue to operate as normal through the backup power source.  If the batteries are rechargeable, then the camera would never need to be removed from the wall.  I personally prefer either lithium rechargeable batteries or better yet a large capacitor.

The Blink camera has no local storage inside the device.  It does have 2 versions on the shelf: 1) camera, 2) camera + local sync adapter.  The sync adapter is basically a plugin device that appears to have a plug for a USB device so you can set up storage from the camera(s).  I have read that it does work but is very clunky in it's implementation.  Also (and more importantly) it does not have RTSP so there is no way to connect the camera to other systems.  I plan to use my Synology NAS to provide local storage.  It is compatible with many camera types and allows for a generic RTSP if it is not listed (Blink is not listed but does not have RTSP either apparently).

For something that I thought would be simple, the list of requirements seems to be getting longer:
  • Wired/wireless power
  • Works with existing chimes
  • Local storage
  • RTSP support
  • No subscription requirement
  • Supports up to 3 cameras
  • Can't cost a fortune (I want 3 so that would add up quickly)

I looked at some other options last night though it is difficult to narrow down with my ridiculous requirement list.  It looks like one camera that might work is the Eufy S220.  I'll have to do more looking but it appears that it is wired/wireless, local storage, RTSP, no subscription, and on sale for $90USD.  They seem to have a large user community so that is a nice bonus.  I'll check if they have a discord to ask detailed questions.

https://us.eufy.com/products/e82101w3

brobin

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2024, 04:10:10 PM »

I have the S330 and it's been flawless. It looks like the S220 requires the Homebase which would serve as central storage for all three doors.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2024, 12:12:28 AM »

How is the delay with the Eufy?  The Wyze was kinda slow compared to the Ring.  The Blink was really fast but I didn't like much else about it.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2024, 10:50:01 AM »

Another question is, have you been able to use RTSP or is that feature lacking still?  I need it in order to link the cameras to my NAS.  If it's not available, I'll have to search other ways to get video fed from the HomeBase which would require someone else doing it because I'm not an Android hacker by any means.

brobin

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2024, 04:16:22 PM »

The delay with Eufy is imperceptible - nearly instant.  I haven't tried saving video to my NVR as I already had a camera in place that gives me a better field of view of the area.  The Eufy also snaps a pic of the person's face and includes it in a separate pic.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2024, 02:24:27 AM »

It does all of that locally?  It says "local AI" so I'm assuming that's the case.  If so, that's pretty impressive.  I liked some things about the Wyze camera but in the end it's just not good enough.  I already returned a couple cameras so the rest will have to go back later this week.  I don't know that the dual camera would be all the useful for me but I'll see if I can find the Eufy S220 locally and pick it up from Amazon (easy and free returns).  I think it will work based on what I've found in testing but the proof will be when I get it installed.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2024, 02:37:13 AM »

Can you check the menus to see if there is a way to enable RTSP on that camera?  If so, it should work great.

brobin

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2024, 01:07:01 PM »

No RTSP but everything is done locally otherwise. If course, it is connected to the web so it appears in the app.  The purpose of the lower camera is to show the packages left on the doorstep. You can see in the pic that I have a package box that most drivers use but the ones that are blind or can't read just leave it at the door. I have the 330... not the 220.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2024, 02:14:21 PM »

Yup, and that would be great for people who don't have a box.  There is a planter right below my doorbell so drivers usually leave packages randomly on either side of the door.  I doubt that the lower camera would be very useful so I was thinking S220 instead and save a little.  The other locations would never need the lower camera so those would be S220 anyway.  I'm just not sure how to link the camera to the Synology without RTSP.  They have them in stock at my local BestBuy (S220, S330, and E340) so I'm going to pick up an S220 to see if I can get it to work.  I don't know if the Homebase is required to do anything without a subscription and I'd rather not get one for this test if not needed.  Perhaps there is a trial subscription that will let me see what I can do without so much to purchase.

If the Eufy doesn't work, I'm not sure where else to go because I haven't found any that fit all the check boxes.  The Eufy has claimed RTSP in the past but appears they pulled it from the firmware at some point and it may/may not be available on different models.  It is available on the security cameras, just not on the doorbells for some reason.

brobin

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2024, 02:54:36 PM »

The 330 is currently on sale on Amazon for $129.95.  I just looked at mine and it has recordings all the way back to early October.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q2NGQL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BestBuy has one on clearance for $51.99 but I don't know much about it.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/eufy-security-smart-wi-fi-video-doorbell-2k-pro-wired-black-white/6425487.p?skuId=6425487

Maybe get a doorbell cam PLUS a webcam with RTSP to mount higher for a more panoramic view. I have one that was less than $100 mounted about 4 ft off to the side of the door that's recorded on my NVR 24/7. Here's a screenshot.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 02:58:49 PM by brobin »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2024, 03:22:01 PM »

I considered putting a few cameras around years ago but there's no power run anywhere easy so would be a pain.  The one that's on clearance is the S220 I think but it looks out of stock otherwise I'd jump on it.  The local Walmart has the same one BB is clearancing for $120.  Maybe a manager will allow a price match  :'

It's snowing heavy now with ice left from last night so probably wait until weekend to do anything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.