🔌General Home Automation > Automating Your House

X10 intermittent behavior

(1/2) > >>

entirelynutz:
I have several X10 modules and switches that turn on at regularly scheduled times but won't turn off as scheduled.

I have some that won't turn on at their regularly scheduled time but will turn off at scheduled time if they were manually turned on.

I have others that aren't responding at all.

I even have one light that keeps turning on even though it doesn't have a scheduled time.

I have tried two different CM15A's with the same behavior.

The host computer is rebooted every night at 4AM.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Could it be an intermittent problem with the X10 bridge in my panel box?

brobin:
Which bridge are you using?  Have a look at the troubleshooting FAQs at https://jvde.us/x10-troubleshooting/  and then we'll discuss next steps.  Sounds like interference being generated by a power supply. Anything new in the house?

Brian H:
On OK but not off.
Can be the signal is strong enough to turn on but the noise generated by the load masks the signals.
Or the load is a signal sucker and again stops the signal from getting there.
Jeff's tutorials are a great place to start.

entirelynutz:
Thank you for your replies brobin and BrianH.

My bridge is an X10 PRO XPCR. It has been in use since 2010. Everything was working flawlessly until about 2 weeks ago. The only new thing is a smart TV installed at Christmas. Every thing was still working fine at that time. Now a number of switches and module are turning on and off at their regular times while other modules and switches fail to react to commands from the CM15A. I even have two appliance modules plugged into the same duplex where one turns on and off on command and the other does nothing. Even when modules are not responding to CM15A commands I am able to turn them on and off with an old Stanley Lightmaker Home Control Model No. 360-3090 plugged into a wall outlet.

I'm thinking that the bridge is failing. I have two rooms using the same X10 code. If I plug in the Stanley control in one room and push all on only one of the rooms comes on. If I move Stanley to the other room and push all on only that room comes on. If I plug Stanley into the same outlet as my CM15A and push all off only one of the two rooms goes off. I am going to switch wires for the bridge in my panel box later and see if the other room responds from the CM15A outlet.

This does not explain though why only one of two modules in the same duplex outlet works.

brobin:
Does unplugging the new TV make a difference?
Are any of the controlled lights LED's?
Does unplugging any wall warts make a difference?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version