🔌General Home Automation > Automating Your House

CM15A and UPS

(1/2) > >>

entirelynutz:
Is it possible to plug a CM15A into a UPS and have it function correctly? Every once in a while we have power outages and the CM15A becomes unavailable until the generator kicks in. When this happens it seems the host computer fails to recognize the CM15A until I do a reboot. I was hoping if the CM15A would work through a UPS I could avoid the brief period of power outage when it loses connectivity.

brobin:
Depends on the UPS. Most of them filter out the X10 signals or throw off noise so you'd have to test some to see if it'll work.

Brian H:
Besides the X10 signals probably not getting through the UPS.
If the UPS is not a pure sine wave type but a stepped wave output.
The power supply in the CM15A may not like it. Even though it is a small power transformer supply.
The TM751 and probably the RR501 have power line derived supplies and I know they don't like it.
Doing a test for someone here. I caused the secret smoke to come out of a TM751, with a stepped output UPS on battery backup.
Also the AC input conditioner on many UPS units. Absorb X10 signals as noise. On the circuit the UPS is plugged into.
I have my UPS on a 10 Amp FilterLinc and controller on the unfiltered pass through outlet on the front.

bkenobi:
I'm a little confused what the benefit of doing that would be.  When the power is out, you will not be able to control any devices because they will be offline.  If you have a generator, the CM15A would work (at least as well as it can based on the quality of the sine wave from your generator).  But If you have quality power provided by the generator, your CM15A wouldn't need a UPS.  It seems like unless you are also putting X10 modules behind the same or other wirelessly linked UPS it wouldn't make any difference.  I don't run my CM15A with a battery because it's connected to a RPi all the time but I guess I don't see the use case.  Otherwise, as others have said, the controller should work.

brobin:

--- Quote from: entirelynutz on February 15, 2024, 07:23:54 PM ---Is it possible to plug a CM15A into a UPS and have it function correctly? Every once in a while we have power outages and the CM15A becomes unavailable until the generator kicks in. When this happens it seems the host computer fails to recognize the CM15A until I do a reboot. I was hoping if the CM15A would work through a UPS I could avoid the brief period of power outage when it loses connectivity.

--- End quote ---
Do you have batteries in your CM15A? That would keep it powered till the genny kicks in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version