Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Motion sensor reprograms its self ?  (Read 54925 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Motion sensor reprograms its self ?
« on: February 18, 2006, 11:40:46 PM »

Here is a  weird one.
I have a motion sensor which I had set to C1 lately it hasn't been triggering my macros. I assumed it was the latest update of AHP causing the problem but after some digging I see it is transmiting now on C4. I've heard of the sensors resetting to their default when the batteries are going dead but I guess by the look of things they can go anywhere! go figure!
I'll replace the batteries tomorrow to see for sure if that was the problem they're over a year old but I wanted to see for sure if it would default to A1 as reported by others.
Now I have another sensor in a box that I wasn't using with batteries in it (not that old) seems it is transmiting on c4 as well but I can't remember what I had set it for as I was just using it for testing. Chaulk up another x10 sensor mystery! :)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
Re: Motion sensor reprograms its self ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 09:30:11 AM »

Well looks as if it was the batteries. Added a fresh set on sunday and it has been working right every time since.
Just before I changed the batteries I did notice that it started to send c1 commands again truely strange!
I suspect it depends which code they'er set to as what they flip to on a failing battery.  It seems to be A goes to 1-16, B to 2-3, C to 4-5 and so on.   Just a thought but this does explain some wierd things useres have posted about.
Perhaps someone from X10   could confirm this.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 09:58:46 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

WinS

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »

Interesting Tuicemen,  I always thought that a low battery caused the motion sensor settings to revert to unit code 1 of the programmed house code.  I only use HC B for all the motion sensors, so I have a low battery macro built (b1) to send me an email when the batteries need replacing.   At least I know that works.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 11:25:53 AM »

WinS:  I was under the inpression that they all reverted back to A1, :-[ so much for my low battery e-mail macro which I had also made! It will be interesting to see what code yours go to when they start to fail!(thats if you let them) :) ;) ;D It is a good thing I had nothing else on this house code or I'd be another one screaming at X10 :o
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

WinS

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 05:41:29 PM »

The A1 default makes sense, and I always assumed that was correct.  But I had a C8 motion sensor which switched to C1 for no reason and the batteries tested low.  Now I'm thinking this matter isn't written in stone.  I know when the batteries are removed the settings go to default A1, but maybe weak batteries don't actually switch the sensor to default.  There could be an erratic effect on it's memory as the voltage drops.  Doesn't bode well for my receiving a low battery email anytime soon!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 06:45:53 PM »

Not to confuse matters too much but I have had several motion sensors set to house code f and I can't remember what unit code. Twice when the batteries started to fail they defaulted to A!. The only reason I know this is because a lamp I had set to A1 keep turning on. When I went around and checked the motion sensors I found one that was set to F? was sending A1. I had this happen on two occasions with two differant sensors.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 11:18:43 PM »

Humm seems to be no set pattern to what these defaut too. Guess it's best to just change the batteries every time you do your smoke detector!Or at least once a year! :) ;) ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Soul Bandit

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 01:10:34 AM »

This seems to answer a few of my major concerns with a few of the motion sensors I've been having problems with in the past.  At least I thought they were failing and now I see that it wasn't the sensor that was failing, but the battery that was giving out... I had one in my kitchen that would turn on the kitchen light when you walk in and back off when you leave and all of a sudden, instead of the kitchen light being controlled, the dining room light would come on instead which was set to A1 instead of A3.  A few of the other motion sensors would trigger incorrectly and I was thinking that they were bad units, now I know to change the batteries more than the unit.

Changing the batteries once a year (or when you change the smoke alarm battery) would be a good idea as Tuicemen said, if you use good batteries that last that long in the first place.

PrimeGuild

• Software Solutions
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 10:53:49 AM »

I am use ActiveHome pro for the last coupe of days and I too had an issue with the motion sensor. It seems as if the A1 and A2 signal get confused at times. I have a lamp module set at A1 and an appliance module at A2. My motion sensor is set to A1. Now what hapens is, whenever motion is detected, my appliance module also starts to trigger ON and OFF, which it is not supposed to, since it is set to A2. Later I swtiched my appliance module to A3 and everything worked fine.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 12:02:34 PM »

Could it be that the motion sensor is near the lamp that is being turned on by the lamp module? If it is could it be possible that the light sensing circuit in the motion sensor is being activated by the light from the lamp and therefore sending the unit code plus one?
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 08:14:48 PM »

JimC  That would be my guess as well!
tahirbutt : You would be wise to  move your motion sensors to a house code your not using for anything else or better yet leave them on A and set everything else to another code as these things do weird things as the batteries fail and you have to watch the unit code +1 factor! Everything defalts to this house code so if something fails it could throw you whole system into disaray! :'(  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 11:49:38 AM »

Maybe a test could be done by wiring some kind of in line power switch. Maybe you could try to power one with a "wall wart" interupting the power and seeing what happened. Sorry my motion sensor has gone missing so I can't do it. I'd be interested in seeing how long an interuption is needed to rest the sensor and if there was any constancy in the results. Of course even this might not be a real life test as it might not be realistically to expect a total interupt the voltage. More likely an interuption would happen at some low voltage threshold. I imagine in many outdoor units the voltage drops during cold weather extremes. So if anyone out there has the equipment and is motivated... Otherwise the...

Moral of story: If the sensor operation is critical, replace the batteries regularly before they fail like your smoke detector batteries.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

sfrazer

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 08:26:53 PM »

Hello world

I am having issues with my motion sensors.  One is in the kitchen in the pantry, B1, the other is down the hall and roughly 12ft away through several walls in a bedroom closet, B2.  Both motion sensors turn on the lights in the respective areas, however when the pantry is triggered and then turns off somehow the closet turns on.  There is no possibility that one would be seeing the light of the other and they are brand new batteries and still working the modules they are set to.  Any ideas?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 10:15:52 PM »

sfrazer

Most X10 motion sensors take up two addresses, one for "I saw motion" and one for "It got dark out" i.e. "dusk sensor".

If the detector is programmed as "B1", then "B1" will be sent for motion detection and "B2" will be sent for "light / dark" detection.

So, always remember to skip an address beween motion detectors.  ;)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 08:03:30 AM »

sfrazer
Ah the old, unit plus one sensor problem! ::) ;) :D
As Bill stated Don't use back to back addresses for motion sensors![/color] ;) :D ;D
Just a side note: You'll also experience this if one is set to unit 1 the other to 16!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.