Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: My CM15A/AHP is working flawlessly  (Read 221753 times)

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: My CM15A/AHP is working flawlessly
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2007, 08:05:50 PM »

For those poor soles that elect to hi-jack threads and bash the volunteers on this forum , x10 support, X10 products because their stuff doesn't work... I have a solution.  If you truely want it to work, let us know what you have and what you are trying to do and someone will likely provide you with a solution.  Your cost of X10 equipment: $$$$$, Your level of frustration: HIGH,  Free help from Forum Volunteers: PRICELESS!!!!!   Have a good day.

the other steve

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2007, 12:29:26 AM »

My process:

• Used CM-11 for many years.  Worked out the overheating problem with the help of the user community.
  • Bought AHP and CM-15.  Converted the files from AH.  Nothing worked.  Sent it all back and got my money back.
  • Reinstalled CM-11
  • Waited a couple of years.
  • Bought AHP again and re-created all the timers and macros from scratch.
  • Downloaded data.

It all works very well, with poor range on the rf receiver (unmodified) the biggest problem.  (I am even using the dreaded HCA02.)

Simple story, eh?  Except for the do-it-yourself flavor of using X-10 and X-10 support - expected from the old days.  Why, when I was young...

Without the forum, it would be impossible.

Next:   :D smileys ;D and fancy fonts !

Steve

[TTA Edit: Didn't want the other steve to feel left out! ;) Don't forget to do your INTROS!]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:45:47 PM by TakeTheActive »

teez67f

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2007, 03:11:17 PM »

>:( :-\ :'( ;) :o ;D ::) 8)

• Been using for two months following mods to all RF modules, stickies, eagles etc,.. and added a half-wave antenna to CM15A.

• Got a dll fix-it solution for AHP v3.206

• Some putzing with CM15A internals, antenna passive add-ins and CM15A half-wave snip and solder.
    Results are fantastic. Range is 80 ft plus in diameter around home (2 floors - about 5000 sq. ft).

• Have DS10A & MS10A all over and crap load of other X-10 including some from Europe (UK RF stuff) and am Wow-Factored by its performance.

That's 360 from DEC 2006; ready to throw it all out the window and jump to Insteon/Zwave (going to anyhow but keeping xnutcase stuff as well).

I've been trying to figure out why the macros triggered by DS10A & MS10A work even with my PC closed!!  Yeah thats right closed!! Contacted X-10 but never got an answer from them as to why. But other than that, they have always responded (had to put that in).

It is working great and almost instant (no lag) response.  Press credit card remotes or stickies and poof, it works. The only thing left for me to figure out (and when I have time, will post for help in proper section), is that once in every 10-15 macro triggers, it causes collisions, depending on amount of DS or MS triggered.

Going to ask the X-10 Pros like TTA, puck, bill ,tuiceman, not in any particular order, for their feedback.

But, other than that, it is almost 100% from zero out the door in December. May I dare say happy with my X-10? Yes much happy. Note got a whole of help (actually we helped each other from marineau) and took a whole lot of cussing and putzing. But it was worth it!

To all that are ready to give it all up, save your money and take your time cause it does work. (Need patience and this forum).

[Note use homemail@videotron.ca for emails since never almost check my Hotmail.]

teez67f

P.S. Sorry TTA, still don't log in (bad habit) unless have something to say. Its my momma's fault you know. ;D

[TTA Edit: Formatted and added WHITESPACE (and SPACES! ;) ) for readability.  Certainly nice to read POSITIVE feedback! Did you do your INTRO yet??]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:16:32 PM by TakeTheActive »

bcondemi

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2007, 10:37:46 AM »

• I had a CM11A for about a year which worked OK in a 2400 sf house.

• I installed a coupler at the panel and had a few light switches and a couple lamp modules working.

• I figured if it worked then I might as well expand the whole system, so I got (a couple months ago) the AHP system (CM15A and AHP and all the plug-ins).

• I replaced every light switch in the house, yard lighting on appliance modules, sprinkler system on universal modules, pool lighting, motion sensors etc.

• This is where I had problems where much of the system failed to operate:
     - Lights came on, but not off
     - CM15A bad antenna range
     - Signals coming from outside the home
     - Dimming not working etc

To boot, I couldn't even register the software and Tech Support... well that's another story!

I then did LOTS of reading when I discovered this forum.

• Replaced the simple phase coupler in the panel to the pzz01 (blocker/filter/coupler) and didn't get any more signals from outside my house.

• Installed an electrical outlet next to the electrical panel and installed the CM15A there. (I thought having the X10 signals coming from the CM15A close to the panel, the signals would be very strong emitting right from the panel instad of travelling from an outlet on the second floor next to my computer). The solution for the usb connector was to install a USB extender via network cable).

• Performed the antenna modification (the one with the brass rods) and extended the UHF cable from the attic to the basement where the electrical panel and CM15A are. (This took the most time; running cables through 3 floors).

• Turned off all breakers, unplugged every electrical cord (tv/computers/appliance/etc..) and mapped all electrical outlets and lighting with a tester and sketched it on a floor plan.

• Didn't buy the ELK ESM-1 Meter, but used a lamp module (with a bulb attached) and turned on one breaker at a time testing room lighting and every outlet on that circuit with a palm remote. Everything worked, until I found;
     - an old computer with a bad power supply generating noise on that circuit (which extended noise all over the house)
     - a laptop power adapter
     - some fluorescent low wattage bulbs that were problematic as well

It took me several hours to do but well worth it. Every light and module work flawlessly.

My next item to tackle is the 'MyHouse' online connection. I was not able to register the software (AHP and plugins) until one day 2 weeks ago when it just did (without changing any computer or hardware configuration). I still can't connect to 'Myhouse' however and Tech Support says its my router (even though I don't have one).

I guess I should be happy enough that the system works itself and all that extra stuff will eventually work.

BC

[TTA Edit: Formatted and added WHITESPACE for readabiliity and emphasis. THREE positive posts in a row!?!  What's going on? :o :D Nice write-up - I also gave you a Helpful. :) ]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:31:33 PM by bcondemi »

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2007, 06:52:27 PM »

So, here it is 2 years later & the problems are still immense. I was 'enjoying' the bickering going on, they brought me back 2 years when I first got my CM15. Within hours of replacing my CM11 I was reinstalling it. The AHP is so bad that I couldn't get it to do the simplest things...

Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

500zz

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2008, 10:59:47 PM »

I have been using x10 for 25 years. The earlier MS DOS based products and later the CM11 and now the AHP. I have 50 modules in my home.  I even had the stand alone GE unit. I also have 2 signal bridges and about 10 noise filters and a smarthome ampl.. The number of noisy power supplies is just amazing. You get a new appliance and the next thing you know you have x10 problems - track it down and fix with a noise filter. I tried the AHP when it first came out with poor results - my son has that unit(he used it in a simple fashion). I bought a new one last week from x10 and installed it on a clean Vista ultimate installation. So far very good results. I did not try to install the CM11 on Vista as it had problems with XP. Over the years line noise has caused most of my problems. Some very expensive high-end appliances have dirty noisy power supplies and many cheap are clean - I can't find a pattern. Generally I am pleased. I do wish x10 would give us a copy of the software rather than the server install.

Considering the prices on Ebay X10 is a bargain - not too long ago this stuff was very expensive. My biggest improvements came from the signal bridges(one at the main box and the other at the cooking range - I finally put the one in the elec main box - a few days later I removed the stove bridge - I put it back as it made a difference and I do not know why -  and noise filters - the amp provided a general improvement and added stability.

I have many macros and complicated commands.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:18:56 PM by 500zz »

alexo1us

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 04:07:25 PM »

Wow what a thread I must say this one has provided me several moments of smiles and chuckles both from related stuff and unrelated.
I'm gonna be long winded here I suspect as I find or get other ideas during the writing hopfully I can keep it flowing.

first on topic I never had a CM11A and not sure of how it operates but I can say I never expected this not to be run from a PC so maybe I have been better off then most I will have to agree the range as is is very dismal to say the least which I should add has been my only real problem so far except when doing an experiment due to some comments here running the CM15A with out the PC.
It failed no surprise there, simple switching controls can run from device in a pinch I.E the PC goes down but forget anything else. the hardware is not physically capable to handle the firmware and space required. to store and run the all the features available with AHP I suspect it was never intended to be run strictly from the device and that was confirmed  (sort of) in another post.

But so far it has worked as expected for me did I have to tinker for sure but most of my problems came from my inexperience with the software once you get the programing right it has not failed yes it has only been a few days but I can see how it works
but I run mine from the PC all the time So if you want it to work right first your need to understand the difference.
the old software was designed to be down loaded to the device which was actually designed for.
the CM15A although They did try to make like the original in the start. but it grew in order to give us what we asked for  it will required the use of a PC making the CM15A just a interface between the PC and X10 Hardware is works fine for me.

Now on the the the other stuff boards as this are notorious for personal attacks doesn't mean they should be allowed NO!!!!!!
but we must also keep in mind as mentioned before that when coming in in the first place chances are your frustration level is high this tends to bring out the best in people (Not) and we all need to take a breath sometimes before we spew.

Having said this the post here Generally follow the try and help rule but we must keep in mind that one users fix may or maynot work for you Your location is not the same so what make you think it will work the same everywhere it will not.
If you want to run it all from the device then your best option is to go back to the CM11A and AH and forget all about the extras you'll be missing out on but if all the bells and whistles are what you want then you need to run it from the PC.
Hopfully X10 will design a version starting out for the PC using the CM15A or a newer version as only an interface I suspect we find it a more user friendly and interact with other systems better........

X10 gave us the stuff to start with and we need to take it from there

This is a kit and as a kit sometimes it just doesn't go as expected when you try to make changes doesn't mean the stuff is defective. Although (the RANGE) guy's this  is a defect especially when like mine is just now a wire taped to the out side the antenna to make it get better reception then just in the same room the wire increased my range to the inside of the house.  It doesn't work as advertised for this.
Start making them with a screw on antenna at least. this will give options that you could even sell since money is your deciding factor.
But i want the first two free for the idea. remember guys saw it here first...... HAR HAR

I will be doing allot of playing which means screw up something that works from time to time it will not be X10 or anyone else fault.
just as I'm sure there will be Lot's of environmental issues to deal with.
as for these things being bad or flaky I'm sure by now they have sold millions and I could think the about 10 to 15 percent ether never get installed or get taken out
about 2 percent which would include us come here and bitch and complain and get info to help us make it work or about how it doesn't work how we got ripped off. the real problem is your play.
which brings me to the majority of buyers the ones who buy a Kit put it together follow the simple instructions or call the help desk for interpretation of instruction's then after it works they leave it alone. for them it works as expected and they are happy. and we'll never know because they do not come here. they have no reason to.
OK so now I'm finished.
let the flames fly I can take it 

just my 2 cents
Alex

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2009, 08:24:34 PM »

To add to this two year thread, its now April 4, 2009 and my AHP/CM15A is working fine with ZERO problems.  Timers work when they are scheduled and my single keypress macro works the way it was setup.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »

I wound 3 ft of solid wire and wrapped it around the CM15's antenna per DAVE_X10's prescription.

My CM15A/AHP is now working flawlessly.

I had to do that Due North West thing once before but not in a long long while.

>!

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2009, 11:28:55 PM »

.... It was worth it..... My CM15A/AHP is working flawlessly.

Yep... I can say the same! (but I did pick-up a spare... just in case).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2009, 11:49:40 AM »

I wold say mine works 99.9% of the time. The 1% is due to the problem I have with it asking me to download timers and macros even if I have not done anything to the CM15 or my setup. But I run a computer hooked to it all the time and can see when it pops up and just click download.

But Still 99.9% is awesome
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

ttrolinger

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »

My CM15A is also working ok. It did take trial and error to get the macro's working correctly. I never exactly pinpointed the problem, but it seem to be related to the multiple RF transceiver modules I need, duplicating the RF commands. I think that was causing the same macro in the CM15A to be launched more than once at the same time. I have corrected that issue by strategically placing the RF transceiver modules just out of range of each other and extending the CM15A antenna with a coat hanger. Not a very elegant solution to say the least but it all works in my case.
There is one ongoing issue that I wish would get fixed. When a macro runs in CM15A and turns on or off X10 devices, I do not get notifications through the SDK interface. Additionally, the SDK interface is suppose to “remember” the status of each X10 device, but that doesn’t work either. The combination of these two problems keeps my home automation software from “Knowing” the status of all my X10 devices. Considering X10 is a “one way” communication in most cases, it would seem this would be a important feature correct. Hopefully, I have missed something, someone will read this and have a solution to this issue.

I, like many of you, purchase X10 devices because they are relatively inexpensive in comparison to the new advanced technologies like ZWave, Insteon and etc. Over time those new technologies will come down in price. For now, I am willing to deal with some of the X10 technical deficiencies for the price point but that will certainly change if X10 doesn’t work some of these nagging technical issues that get reported time and time again.
TJ

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »

I, like many of you, purchase X10 devices because they are relatively inexpensive in comparison to the new advanced technologies like ZWave, Insteon and etc. Over time those new technologies will come down in price. For now, I am willing to deal with some of the X10 technical deficiencies for the price point but that will certainly change if X10 doesn’t work some of these nagging technical issues that get reported time and time again.

You should try playing golf!

Not that playing golf will help your X10 setup... it won't. But after a few years you will realize that those new advanced technologies used in clubs and training aides that come... and GO with the seasons are much like the new advanced technologies in Home Automation.

The "trick" with any communications system... phone, radio, TV... wired or wireless is dependability and reliability. Home Automation isn't any different. It isn't really any more or less troublesome or difficult to make X10 completely reliable than any other system. Same as with golf the "trick" is... practice the basics.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:47:21 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

fromnaija

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »

I got mine working flawlessly from the get-go.  I would say finding this forum before I purchased my first module really helped!
I was actually searching for a home security system, that's how I got hooked on X10.

Now, this is what I did to have a flawless system.  I modified the antenna on my CM15A using suggestions found on this forum.  I bought smarthome noise filters for all of the outlets as well as the coupler/repeater for my Dryer outlet.

My installation works flawlessly.  I have completed the security system installation as well as automate all my lights.  I have lights that are operated by motion sensors, there are some on timers and yet others are operated by macros.  More importantly my wife is so pleased with the sytem - especially as she does not have to walk into any dark room in the house.

MyHouseOnline works without any issue.  >!

Next step is to set up my cameras.  I am still reading through the forum on all the tricks with that.

The ONLY problem I have right now is getting Tuicemen's software to run on my Vista x64 computer.  B:(
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:39:40 PM by fromnaija »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2009, 09:23:27 PM »

My current AHP/CM15A has been working flawlessly, except for two brief periods when X10 put out flawed versions of AHP, version 3.203 and 3.236 (which cannot be obtained though AHP's upgrade link only though the X10 Software Repository), but X10 is it sending out to new purchasers of AHP.) That is just plain stupid as though this Forum it's well known and we know some of the "suits" do read it.

Timers execute flawlessly and my single keypress macro (which turns off  houselights on five different housecodes) works every time it's executed.

I've had X10 since the 1980's (started with a CP290 and DOS software), moved to Active Home and the CM11A in the mid 90's and AHP in 2005
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:25:45 PM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.