Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Install AHP new computer  (Read 25048 times)

anthony

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Install AHP new computer
« on: June 07, 2005, 04:30:35 PM »

I recently had a harddrive failure and lost
everything, including AHP.  My cm15a has the
program in it but my lights are turning on
and it's still light out.

I need some help on how to go about
reloading the software since it's all
electronic now.

anthony

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Re: Install AHP new computer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 04:40:08 PM »

If you know your order number and original
order e-mail address, you can request that
your registration code and a new download
link be sent to you using our online form:

http://www.x10.com/register/download.htm

If you don't know that information you can
call technical support to look it up, and
they can also send you the software.

snarksdad

Re: Install AHP new computer - CM19A - What are we doing now...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:25:01 PM »

If you know your order number and original
order e-mail address, you can request that
your registration code and a new download
link be sent to you using our online form:

http://www.x10.com/register/download.htm

If you don't know that information you can
call technical support to look it up, and
they can also send you the software.
As most of us know now this no longer works. Here is what I got back from the "new" X10 support:

Reference number: LTK1221403198309X Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
Subject: Let's Improve X10

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.

I am sorry, it appears as if the manufacturer and software servers are having issues. We have contacted them and they are aware of the issue, but we do not have any timeframe of when they will be resolved. We are doing what we can to work with them to get these servers back up and in place, but in the meantime have removed all of our listings regarding X10 software.

Unfortunately, we have no other information for you at this time. Once the servers are fixed and the software is properly working and activating we will relist our software on our website.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Mike K.

---------------Original Message---------------

Subject:
   Let's Improve X10

> Reactivation of the ActiveHome Software - Activehome servers are currently offline. X10 WTI had this software hosted on dedicated servers. During X10 WTI's Bankruptcy, these servers were shut down and alot of the data was lost. We are working with networking and database professionals to try to gather this broken data and get ActiveHome back online. We are doing all we can to re-enable this software for past and future X10 customers.
What is the status of this? I lost the computer disk that housed my ActiveHome (On July 26th BTW) and cannot even set the time on the controller. I am unwilling to purchase any new X10 devices until that has been resolved.

Regards,

So what can we do to get access to a CM19A?

Thanks,
Snarksdad

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »

When the old X10 went belly up many users scrambled to find ways to be able to reinstall.
Although a reinstall is a little easier to get AHP some of the techniques are the same
Both methods are located on my site and users should install using the directions in the corresponding threads
Directions
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:39:25 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 03:07:33 AM »

Has any one tried "active home vista". It is Freeware

This is a small out take from the website.

"Active Home Vista is the ´control center´ of your home automation system. You can control all your devices, program the X10 interface and receive updates from the X10 interface to see what´s going on X10-wise.
Dusk & dawn timers are supported. The limited EEPROM of the interface is used in an efficient way to store as many timers & macros as possible. Also DST support is present. For a number of X10 devices a program wizard is available."

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »

Has any one tried "active home vista". It is Freeware

This is a small out take from the website....... you can control all your devices, program the X10 interface and receive updates from the X10 interface to see what´s going on X10-wise.

I found the DL at:  http://www.freewarefiles.com/Active-Home-Vista_program_44203.html

In the description it also says:
•CM10A / IBM Home director 16 (beta, downloading macros / timers is not supported)
•CM11A (CM12)
•CM15A (downloading macros / timers is not supported)
•CM17A
•CM19A (select CM15A as interface)

Nothing against the software... it looks interesting. However it doesn't allow downloading of macros to the CM15A. THANKFULLY... X10 is back... and soon getting the proper AHP with download capabilities won't be an issue.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

timlight10

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »

Has any one tried "active home vista".

Tucson,

Yes I do use Active Home Vista and I quite like it. I have the Firecracker (CM17A) interface and the limitations I am running into are due to the Firecracker, not the software. I really like the software. The developers and community there have been helpful in resolving any issues I have raised.

Your experience may vary depending on your interface, as HA Dave pointed out.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »

Yes I do use Active Home Vista and I quite like it. I have the Firecracker (CM17A) interface and the limitations I am running into are due to the Firecracker, not the software........ Your experience may vary depending on your interface, as HA Dave pointed out.

I wanted to run the Melloware iPhone X10 control app... the server, java, program [loaded on the HA PC] the app uses to talk with my HA PC... seemed to slow my other processes too much. Without being able to setup a new X10/AHP PC... because X10 had closed... I was stuck.

So... I dug a CM19 [firecracker] out of my parts tub and loaded the app on what is little more than a netbook. The app triggers the firecracker that is "heard" by my HA PC with is connected to a CM15A. OK... it's a bit of a Rube Goldberg machine. But this is temporary only till the new X10 servers and interfaces are online.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:22:42 AM by HA Dave »

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »

Since APH software can only used the APH hardware. Why not give it out for free and save the trouble of getting the server working -:). It would decrease support and make the users happy and less likely to leave.

I'm starting to look at other controllers and I have been using X10 for over 20 years. I just pulled the mini controllers out and it is a pain to set up and does not track daytime.

I'm looking at the INSTEON Hub but it does not have offsets from sunrise/sunset, a deal breaker for me.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 06:16:14 PM by Tucson »

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 02:56:17 AM »

Since APH software can only used the APH hardware. Why not give it out for free and save the trouble of getting the server working -:). It would decrease support and make the users happy and less likely to leave.

The software was originally written to be "unlocked" and well as "downloaded" from a server.

I understand the reason for selling software. Everybody has to eat! Those code-writers don't show up and produce lines of code for free. And... if you own a software product and don't use protective measures.... others will just download it and re-sell it. Potentially stealing the profits.

But a LOT has changed since the introduction of Home Automation software products. I doubt any number of CM15A interfaces were sold without AHP software. And I'd guess very few paid for the smart-macro plugin ether. There was an SDK made public for anyone who wanted to develop AHP software (in addition to the suite of AHP plugin's). And several people created software based on the SDK. But without the basic AHP software product... a user cannot upload settings/timers/macros to the interfaces memory.

All-in-all.... I think X10 did it right. Except they went broke. Maybe... if they would have trusted "other vendors" to sell locked software from the vendors own servers for a percentage of the sales. Then.... it would not have all collapsed like a house of cards... when X10 closed their doors. OR.... provide the "basic" software package as a download like the European AHP.

But in the end.... it's all working out.... and progressing forward. Hind-sight is always 20/20. I am really looking forward to the new Wi-Fi enable interface. And.... that will also likely have some sort of server-forwarding service. Hopefully that will be embedded in the interface (to make it simple/easy).... as well as changeable to make it future-proof.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:02:39 AM by HA Dave »

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 10:54:13 AM »

Am glad be be able to log on to this forum again.
I have been using X10 AHP for many years now and luckily my system is still working except the email part.
This might not be the right place to ask the question but then am not sure if there is any other place. I'll be greatful if some one can direct me to the right place.
All my security and x10. Camera emails are not working.

Wish you all a happy, healthy new Year.

IPS >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »

If the emails where through the old X10WTI Servers. They are all out of service. Though the new owners are trying to get the servers back online.
I have seen nothing on the email servers being included. I have seen the software and registration servers mentioned as being addressed.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »

The AHP severs never worked well for me :(
Even with the email set to use SMTP as it would always revert to using there servers  B:(
The new owners have mentioned they wish to get all aspects of the AHP software back up. I would take that to mean the email server as well.
Hopefully that will work better.
You might wish to use another method for sending emails in the mean time.
Maybe send a windows command to a third party software like PC Companion.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

RHBernard

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »

The original "Install AHP new computer" post is mow 7 years old (June 7 2005).  So I am going to refresh it with my own experience.

For years I had an old PC running MSDOS and some software that sends out X-10 signals from a COM: port to a PowerLinc adapter, to control Appliance modules that power various systems.

In early 2013 I decided to upgrade, and reacquainted myself with my two large file boxes of X-10 modules and controllers.  I logged into X-10.com to see what was new.  I had a leftover Dell D500 laptop to apply to the problem, and settled on ActiveHomePro for the control software.  I ordered it in late Jan 2013 and waited.  After several weeks I called and was told the CM15A device was back ordered, so i waited some more. 

Finally it arrived and I installed the software, carefully retaining the software modules for installation (in case I needed to reinstall).  This was my first mistake because it was much later (November 2013 that I discovered that X-10 had this EVER SO CLEVER installer that wasn't really the installer but an anti-software-piracy scheme that only streams the actual installer code to the customer's computer and doesn't store that code locally.  I have 50 years of software development under my belt so I understand the need to discourage piracy.

It may have been EVER SO CLEVER for keeping customers from giving out the AHP to others, but not for assuring that X-10 would be around if legitimate customers had hardware or other technical problems and needed to reinstall.   From the looks of the number of customers who are asking how to do that it there are quite a few of us.

I had to weather another problem.  The AHP and the attache CM15A would not operate any X-10 modules, and I had several phone conversations with X-19 support before they agreed with me if the other manual X-10 controllers could operate the same switch modules and the CM15A couldn't, they would replace it.  The replacement worked and I installed the necessary files in AGP to allow me to render several mechanical light and appliance timers obsolete.

My particular reason for needing to reinstall is that a very nice 160GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue hard drive that I installed in that Dell D500 gave out sometime after X-10.com company when out of business.  I didn't notice that until November 2013, at which point i replaced the D500 with another computer and attempted to do the AHP reinstall which, of course, failed.  And then the holidays came around and then a scheduled Winter vacation.

Now I'm back and attempted to email X-10.com support and got Server not found,  Then I googled "What happened to x-10.com" and found the saga of the bankruptcy.  Then I got out the D500 and tried to recover files from the dead WD drive.  It turns out its FUBAR.  Not even Steve Gibson's Spinrite6 my old standby disk rejuvenator could do anything with it, reporting
"You should NOT PROCEED to use SpinRite on this drive until you have verified and corrected the disparity between this drive and the BIOS's or BIOS extension's understanding of the drive size."

A simple sector copy found numerous sequences of unreadable sectors, so I resorted to mounting the WD drive on a USB adapter and locating and copying the various AHP code and other drives over to the newer and working Windows computer. My thinking is that if the Program files for AHP and the various data files are intact I should be able to reconstruct a working version.

But it doesn't work, and before I put too much more time in this line of thinking, I now want to rule out the possibility that the anti-piracy scheme of AHP also requires that the X-10 server has to be online to even run the AHP software. If anyone knows the answer to that possibility I would like to hear it.

If a working Windows PC with lawfully installed AHP software truly has all the necessary software and data modules in their proper places, I would to hear from someone who has a working Windows computer with AHP installed and can post in this thread an exhaustive list of those software and data modules and their  file paths.  That would allow me to inventory the modules that I have and determine what's missing, if any.

I think that such an exhaustive list of what constitutes a complete AHP would be a valuable reference for all AHP owners, not only those whose systems are in distress.

In the meantime I will post my own inventory of files I have from the dead D500 drive.

Thanks,
Bob

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 06:02:45 AM »

Bob;
There are some good threads on AHP installs. On Tuicemen's forums. Along with the information I expect to be added here.
http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?board=67.0

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.