Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ninja with Camera  (Read 5612 times)

murray

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Ninja with Camera
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:01:04 PM »

At times I find my Ninja in operation when AHP is closed.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Ninja can operate without AHP starting it?  Any ideas on how to prevent startup when AHP is closed?

zach1234

Re: Ninja with Camera
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:24:49 PM »

I think your remote batterys are low. Try that and get back to me.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:55:31 AM »

Hi murray and welcome to the forums...

I have several Ninja's and have not seen this problem. However here is what might be going on. The Ninja gets it's pan and tilt commands via RF from the CM15A or the CR14A hand held remote. The plug in power wart supplies the unit with power to operate the internal drive mechanism. If the power wart looses power, when it comes back on the Ninja will automatically move and center itself. Take a look at the position of the Ninja when it moves by itself and see if the position is center. If it is it may be that the power wart is loosing power. Let us know how it goes and we can go from there.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:14:52 AM »

...If the power wart looses power, when it comes back on the Ninja will automatically move and center itself....
This is true for the Sentinel also. That reminds me of another thing I need to add to my power restore macro.   :)

I wish you could set a default position other than center as I like mine pointing at the front door. The Sentinel sends a hard wired video signal all the time it has power. i.e. Sending it an "RF ON" signal enables wireless transmission and camera control. Sending it an "RF OFF" signal turns off wireless transmission and camera control but  the wired video signal continues. This means the only way I can think of that will allow me to have any additional cameras connected to AHP also is to cut power to the Sentinel camera. Then I'm faced with the problem of the Sentinel pointing uselessly at the wall when its power is restored.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:30:45 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:07:45 PM »

....The Sentinel sends a hard wired video signal all the time it has power. i.e. Sending it an "RF ON" signal enables wireless transmission and camera control. Sending it an "RF OFF" signal turns off wireless transmission and camera control but  the wired video signal continues.

This means the only way I can think of that will allow me to have any additional cameras connected to AHP also is to cut power to the Sentinel camera. Then I'm faced with the problem of the Sentinel pointing uselessly at the wall when its power is restored.

This could be a good use for the auto-switcher I use. Modulating the Sentinel's video into the switcher... then using the video out to your video adapter (AHP). Then plugging your other cameras into the switchers video inputs, would cause them to over-ride the Sentinel's video... without turning the Sentinel off.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 03:15:51 PM »

This could be a good use for the auto-switcher I use. Modulating the Sentinel's video into the switcher... then using the video out to your video adapter (AHP). Then plugging your other cameras into the switchers video inputs, would cause them to over-ride the Sentinel's video... without turning the Sentinel off.
That could work. It looks like it accepts a video signal so no modulation would be needed. Is there a priority if more than one item has a signal? e.g. My Sentinel would have a constant signal. Would only switch if there was a signal from another input and return to the Sentinel?

Hmm.. I think I have something like that that I used for an old TV that had only 1 audio / video input. I'll have to go through a few old boxes but I think I have an idea where I have it. Now I wonder if my switcher switcher switched on video or audio. It it works, my next step will be to find a manual for my X10 flood cams and reset them so they don't come on with every breeze.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »

That could work. It looks like it accepts a video signal so no modulation would be needed..................   Hmm.. I think I have something like that that I used for an old TV that had only 1 audio / video input.

The auto-switcher excepts 4 video inputs (more with "Y" cables). However the "default" is the "F" connected (modulated) cable or antenna connection. ANY other video device connected to one of the video inputs will over-ride the "F" (connected device) when ON. If you use a (your old) modulator for the Sentinel.... and connect the Sentinel via the "F" connector... the Sentinel will become the default video. Any other camera turned ON... connected to a video input... will over-ride the Sentinels Video. So... you wouldn't never need to "kill the power" to the Sentinel.

I use a VCR to UN-modulate the "F" connectors (antenna/cable signal) output. And then route the signal again Via [the VCRs] RCA output. There are reasons I do this... I know it doesn't sound simple.. but it works flawlessly.

• In my case I centralized my camera inputs.. in an area convenient to the cameras.. but nothing else. I also modulate my Home Theater's Video and tie it and the cameras into my own cable network.
  • This allows me to view movies (or the cameras) on my office TV (I smoke in my office.. but not the theater).
  • The VCR allows me to record camera video (VCR Commander actives recording).. but as importantly it converts the signal back to RCA. I use RCA output to feed the X10 Video sender/receivers... this allows me to also view the cameras (and HT movies) on TV upstairs.
  • I also use a video receiver to feed my IP Video Server. The IP Server is set to send (email) Video clippets when motion is detected. Motion activation turns ON the video receiver.. which the IP Server detects as motion.

Is there a priority if more than one item has a signal? e.g. My Sentinel would have a constant signal. Would only switch if there was a signal from another input and return to the Sentinel?

The auto-switcher outputs any audio or video input... over-riding the default "F" connection. If more than one video input is ON... the auto-switcher will select the strongest signal... or the 1st on.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 04:45:41 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.