Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A new way to view camera images?  (Read 16772 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
A new way to view camera images?
« on: May 10, 2008, 09:22:49 PM »

I've recently noticed that some New Digital Picture Frames have WiFi capabilities. Meaning that by ether by connecting to a WiFi [home] network, or a particular computer via a bluetooth dongle.... pictures can be uploaded directly to the picture frame.

This could mean a whole new way to view camera images! Maybe even with the use of BVC with the USB-UIRT and a voice announcement followed by the frame automatically turned on (IR remote) and current images or videos displayed.

I currently have active camera views automatically display on the living room TV (if it's being viewed). But because that is also the TV I use to watch important news programing (and Star Trek)... I limit what/when camera views are displayed. If camera views could be displayed on a separate (yet attractive) device... all activity could be displayed.

I would love to be the 1st to set this up and report back. But being on a fixed income... hurrying to be an early adapter could lower my WAF. The future is here.... and I like it.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: A new way to view camera images?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 05:38:03 PM »

I've recently noticed that some New Digital Picture Frames have WiFi capabilities. Meaning that by ether by connecting to a WiFi [home] network, or a particular computer via a bluetooth dongle.... pictures can be uploaded directly to the picture frame.

This could mean a whole new way to view camera images! Maybe even with the use of BVC with the USB-UIRT and a voice announcement followed by the frame automatically turned on (IR remote) and current images or videos displayed.

I currently have active camera views automatically display on the living room TV (if it's being viewed). But because that is also the TV I use to watch important news programing (and Star Trek)... I limit what/when camera views are displayed. If camera views could be displayed on a separate (yet attractive) device... all activity could be displayed.

I would love to be the 1st to set this up and report back. But being on a fixed income... hurrying to be an early adapter could lower my WAF. The future is here.... and I like it.

That is a very interesting idea and I'm surprised at how cheap those WiFi enabled frames actually are! :o  I mean, price-wise you could get a larger LCD monitor cheaper (maybe a TV even).  However with a monitor or TV you would have to run wiring or use a video-sender or some such (either of which might interfere with my WiFi).

At $249.99 MSRP for the 10" and $199.99 MSRP for the 8" they aren't horribly expensive for all Kodak has packed into them.   :o

Maybe someday when I have some bills payed off.  (drool)   :-\
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:41:42 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:16:19 PM »

You can transmit video signals via 2.4ghz and receive them with a receiver hooked to to any video capable device like small lcd monitors, etc.

Just throwing out the notion that viewing video signals via non wired connections is alreaty pretty simple and not that expensive.
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »

...........viewing video signals via non wired connections is alreaty pretty simple and not that expensive.

Oh I agree! I use the video sender/receiver(s) now to transmit to my upstairs TV. A macro causes them [sender/receiver] to come on when a camera is turned on (triggered). I use a auto-switcher at the TV... so when a camera is triggered on... it automatically replaces whatever else was on the TV.

I just like the idea of more choices... more options.

EL34

• My X-10 projects
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:53:07 AM »

Other fun ways to spread video signals.

I used to use a wireless transmitter from my tv/direct tv satellite box to a receiver in my home office.
The office computer has a video capture card.
That had the usual wireless problems, like micro wave ovens and telephone signals trashing the picture.

I since moved my office to another building, and the tv is now close to a computer in my house.
I have a RG6 cable from the Direct Tv satellite box to the video capture card on that computer.
I run a windows media server and broadcast the signal across my Lan.

Any computer on the Lan can access the broadcast via windows media player.
You can even watch it over the internet if you know the IP address.
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:23:32 PM »

Other fun ways to spread video signals...........
Any computer on the Lan can access the broadcast via windows media player. You can even watch it over the internet if you know the IP address.

Very cool!

EL34

• My X-10 projects
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »

I don't watch TV on my computer at work much, but it is cool to do and the picture quality over my Lan here is decent.
I set the windows media server at a high bit rate since I vew it over a lan and not a internet connection.

I usually only tune in when the Tour De France is on and then only when the brutal mountain stages are on.  >!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 02:23:26 PM »

this is good choice?

Choice is always good.... even though the wrong choices... are often made 1st.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.