Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Maximum wire length for DS10A? Running from 110vAC -> 3vDC converter?  (Read 5097 times)

orcusomega

• Helpful Post Rating: 6

My home is already wired for an alarm system that uses contacts (magnetic and mechanical) all over the place.  The wires run to a central location in the basement.

That said I would like to use the DS10A devices, and wire them to the existing contacts.  Has anyone done this?  I would like to minimize the visible impact throughout the house...  I would expect the longest run to be likely ~30 feet or so.

Also, has anyone disassembled the devices to run them on direct DC power (i.e. 110AC -> 3v DC)?  I have 15 window and door contacts - thats a lot of little white boxes and a TON of batteries to worry about :)

Any help is appreciated!

Bob

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Maximum wire length for DS10A? Running from 110vAC -> 3vDC converter?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 02:47:41 PM »

Gee Bob, if it is already hardwired, why would you want to use a RF link for the intruder detection?  The reason for using RF is that it is so difficult to install a hidden hardwired system after the walls are up.  It should be less expensive and more reliable to just install the magnetic sensors and connect them to a standard alarm panel.  I installed a DSC system here, and it has worked perfectly for 7 years.  (I did have to replace the 12V backup battery once.)

As I recall, the magnetic sensors were about 3 bucks each.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

orcusomega

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »

Gee Bob, if it is already hardwired, why would you want to use a RF link for the intruder detection?  The reason for using RF is that it is so difficult to install a hidden hardwired system after the walls are up.  It should be less expensive and more reliable to just install the magnetic sensors and connect them to a standard alarm panel.  I installed a DSC system here, and it has worked perfectly for 7 years.  (I did have to replace the 12V backup battery once.)

As I recall, the magnetic sensors were about 3 bucks each.

Jeff

Well, here's my problem(s):

1) The contacts are wired, but the alarm system is not active.  Since I went to VoIP, the dial-out capability does not work (grrrrr) so I have an expensive siren that I can't attach to anything.  Doesn't do me much good.
2) I am a n00b, soI am trying to figure it out as I go.  My plan was to use the existing contacts (they are installed all nice and hidden like already) and cut the ends off the DS10A, and splice them into the wires run out to the windows.  Think of it as removing the existing alarm panel, so that when the contacts open, it fires the DS10A instead of the alarm panel...
3) I can't figure out how else to get the contact sensor information i want - I have a special needs son so I can't simply attach the boxes right at the window, he will pull them off.

Thoughts???  I don't know what I don't know, unfortunately...

vantech

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »

I have an ademco 10p alarm panel with VOIP and mine dials out just fine to the central monitoring station.  Geez you can pick up an ademco 10p alarm panel on e-bay for about 30 or 40 bucks and have a much more reliable alarm system

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 06:24:32 PM »

If you already have hidden sensors, just replace the panel with another one that will do what you want.  It will be less expensive and more reliable.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dwp

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:45:43 PM »

you shud be able to wire up the D/W sensors to the exsisting contacts ,

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.