Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3rd party components that dont need batteries??  (Read 9556 times)

lurky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
3rd party components that dont need batteries??
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »

Hi
I just bought the 99 dollar package.
Im most interested in the motion sensors, but theyre awfully big and require batteries.
Can anyone tell me about how long the batteries will last in the motion sensors?
I was hoping for the option to plug them in, can they be wired to do so?
or are there other components on the market that work with the system? perhaps smaller ones?
THX

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: 3rd party components that dont need batteries??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 06:48:46 AM »

Can anyone tell me about how long the batteries will last in the motion sensors?

Mine have lasted a couple years (so far).

or are there other components on the market that work with the system? perhaps smaller ones?

Not that I have heard of.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: 3rd party components that dont need batteries??
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »

Hi

I was hoping for the option to plug them in, can they be wired to do so?

They can, I have one that I power from 3 volt "wall wart".  But...they are very sensitive to "ripple" on the DC supply. I had to add extra capacitive filtering before my Active Eye would work. However, depending on the amount of traffic the sensor sees, the batteries can last a year or more, so putting them on power supplies may be more trouble than it is worth. Unless you back-up the wired power supply with re-chargable batteries, everytime you lose power, you will have to reprogram the sensor.

If you are still worried about replacing batteries... I also have a couple Eagle Eyes that, because of location, I power with D cells rather than AA cells.   A 2 "D" cell battery holder hot glues perfectly to the back of the Eagle Eye. The battery weight is a great stabilizer, so the sensor becomes more "placeable" for a longer time ( i.e. jammed in the fork of a tree for two years).

FWIW  To any of you "surplus" guys out there; Electronic Goldmine  (www.goldmine-elec.com) has 3V DC switching wall warts for $1.29 each. A surplus Radio Shack brand power adapter for Game Boys. They have a clean 350ma output. What a deal, I bought ten. So far I am only using three, but they tolerate being controlled by Socket Rockets and they don't "noise-up" the powerlines enough to effect X10. FWIW
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.