Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need the perfect system for my grandmother  (Read 7556 times)

jaboomba

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need the perfect system for my grandmother
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:12:24 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading the forums and the X10 Catalog for the past 3 hours and god does my eyes & head hurt!! Hahaha

I am visiting my grandmother in Antigua in December and because of the recent increase crime I wanted to get a SIMPLE, but effective alarm system for her apartment. She is 71yrs old and just recently started understanding her DVD player so I need something very simple. I am looking at the $99 protector plus security system, but I wanted some advice from the people who are the experts. She has 1 exterior door & 1 exterior sliding glass door I would like to cover. All of the windows have bars on them so those are pretty secure!

Here are my questions:

If I understand correct the auto dialer is the hub of the alarm system. It has the siren, the arm & disarm button, etc.... Is that correct? Is it as simple as my grandmother pushing the ARM button & that's it?

What is the delay when she returns to her apartment before the sirens go off?

Is there a chime feature on the doors?

I also see there is a remote control. I assume this will allow her to arm & disarm the alarm system before she enters her apartment. Is that correct?

I apologize for such newbie questions, but I want to make sure my grandmother is happy with these & sleep comfortably at night. If someone knows of a product that is better suited for my grandmothers needs I appreciate that info also!

Thanks for all of your help & advice!!

Jim

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Need the perfect system for my grandmother
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 10:31:28 AM »

Before you spend any money, several things to consider:

1. North American X10 systems are designed to work on 120 Volts, 60 Hz and have the USA style plug and socket.  Is this the case in Antigua?

2. There are limitations in the telephone numbers which can be dialed by the X10 Security Console.  Verify that the Antigua telephone number system is  compatible.  (Perhaps the folks in these forums can shed more light on these limitations.)

3. X10 can require a certain amount of troubleshooting to install and continue working properly.  If something goes wrong, who would be available to help on reasonably  short notice?  E.g., would your grandmother be able to deal with something as simple as changing the batteries in a sensor (and possibly having to re-register the sensors with the console if she doesn't do it fast enough).

(If you or a technically competent individual is not on the scene, your grandmother could have a system which is not working more often than working.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »

I agree with what Charles Sullivan said. Plus I would not use X10 Security Console to keep anyone safe. If you really want safety I would use a professional system like ADT or what ever systems that are in Antigua. The professional systems will call police and Fire and are easier to maintain plus you have there Tech. help for what that is worth.

X10 requires a technical person to have a system working and running all the time and it sounds like to me you are far away from her house to help out every other week or so. We all love X10 but it does take work to play with it.  ::)
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:14:46 PM »

(If you or a technically competent individual is not on the scene, your grandmother could have a system which is not working more often than working.)

X10 requires a technical person to have a system working and running all the time ............. We all love X10 but it does take work to play with it. 

If it takes a third to pass a motion.... consider this motion passed.

You have the right idea. Alarm systems do buy peace of mind. Maybe you should give the local pros a call:  http://www.antiguanice.com/psp_securities/index.html
Home Automation is an always changing technology

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 04:37:33 PM »

For what it's worth, I also agree with what the previous 3 have said!
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

jaboomba

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank everyone for their input!! We originally were pursing the route of a professional & monitored alarm system, but her landlord was against the idea of any permanent system in the apartment. After I spoke to her today and mentioned the concerns everyone here has raised she decided that it didn't make sense to move forward with the alarm. I  decided to put a call out to PSP securities (thanks Dave!!) and after taking for a short time offered me option for the landlord. They have a wireless system that they will install for my grandmother and also provide a complimentary system for the landlord. It's a little expensive compared to the states, but well worth the expense!!

Thanks so much for all of your input & advice. It is definitely appreciated!!

Have a GREAT weekend!

Jim

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 07:39:31 PM »

I would like to thank everyone for their input!! .............. Thanks so much for all of your input & advice. It is definitely appreciated!!
Have a GREAT weekend!

Thanks for the reply.... it always feels good to be helpful.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 12:49:06 AM »

Agreeing with everyone else, I'm glad you decided on a professionally installed system.

...They have a wireless system that they will install for my grandmother and also provide a complimentary system for the landlord....
Great marketing to give the landlord a system. They'll most likely make their money back in the long run with the service and in the meantime they pretty much guarantee themselves an in for installing more systems in the area.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 02:43:27 AM »

Before you spend any money, several things to consider:

1. North American X10 systems are designed to work on 120 Volts, 60 Hz and have the USA style plug and socket.  Is this the case in Antigua?

2. There are limitations in the telephone numbers which can be dialed by the X10 Security Console.  Verify that the Antigua telephone number system is  compatible.  (Perhaps the folks in these forums can shed more light on these limitations.)

3. X10 can require a certain amount of troubleshooting to install and continue working properly.  If something goes wrong, who would be available to help on reasonably  short notice?  E.g., would your grandmother be able to deal with something as simple as changing the batteries in a sensor (and possibly having to re-register the sensors with the console if she doesn't do it fast enough).

Absolutely excellent advice Charles gotta give you a point for that one myself!

Tom j.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.