Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: volume of siren???  (Read 28247 times)

alex

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
volume of siren???
« on: October 19, 2005, 06:43:26 PM »

what is the volume of the powerhorn siren?
as loud as a crackle bomb firework? as loud
as those fire drills at school?

shag

Re: volume of siren???
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 11:24:35 AM »

The large Powerhorn model PH508 is 120 db,
and the mini Powerhorn siren, SH10A is 90db
methinks.. Just go to the product info on
X10.COM and the specs are there,, if not
directly, inside the installation
instructions.
It doesnt actually sound like a siren, more
like a loud shrill, shrieking noise, sort of
like my ex-wife. lol

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 04:55:15 PM »

The smaller SH10A in my opinion sounds like
a cricket on steroids! The larger PH508 like
a loud two tone warble!

Johnnylaw

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »

I just installed my system and ran a couple test to make sure that is was working,
my only complaint is the BIG PowerHorn (PH508) is a little wimpy!
The siren that comes on the Voice Dialer Console (PS561) is a Lot Louder than the Big PowerHorn.

I installed the PowerHorn in my garage and my console is about 40 ft away.
I tripped the system and standing in my garage i could hear my console siren over the Big PowerHorn.

Tell me I have a defective PowerHorn and that it's not that wimpy.

Thanks
John

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 05:24:05 PM »

Tell me I have a defective PowerHorn and that it's not that wimpy.

You have a defective PowerHorn. (Maybe check it in a different plug... to make sure you don't have a defective plug.) The Large Powerhorn is very loud... the one I have mounted in the garage can easily be heard next door, or on the street.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 06:08:07 PM »

I would also say it is defective. Mine is very loud.

Johnnylaw

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »

Thanks for the replies
It is defective, I M sending it back for replacement.
After reading other post on here about the special they are running buy 1 get 2 free
I ordered that also, so I will have 4 Large PowerHorns with the system.
That should alert anyone close that something is going on.

ps: I love this system. I have 3 camera's, 8 - door / windows sensors and  1 motion sensor installed.
all this I installed over 2 days about 10 hrs total and that was running a couple new electric plugs into the attic for the outside camera's

this is a very easy system to setup and get running.

I will be adding lots more goodies in the near future.

John

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »

I will be adding lots more goodies in the near future.
John

Thank God the X10 addiction is completely legal. I got hooked on X10 when I wanted to be able to dim the lights on my Home Theater. As It turned out... my X10 has brought me more enjoyment than the Theater. If you like the X10 security system (and why wouldn't you) take a peek at my X10 (and BVC) YouTube Video. I use the X10 floodlights (PR511) as well as the AHP (with the CM15A) to turn on lights and trigger a Voice Warning Announcement.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:15:46 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

Johnnylaw

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 06:59:55 PM »

Thank God the X10 addiction is completely legal. I got hooked on X10 when I wanted to be able to dim the lights on my Home Theater. As It turned out... my X10 has brought me more enjoyment than the Theater. If you like the X10 security system (and why wouldn't you) take a peek at my X10 (and BVC) YouTube Video. I use the X10 floodlights (PR511) as well as the AHP (with the CM15A) to turn on lights and trigger a Voice Warning Announcement.

I watched you video and showed it to the wife, she is in love with the endless options.
one question...  how did you get the juice to the bird house camera?  did you run underground wire to the base of the tree?
I loved how you hid the camera.

I think the AHP is the next step for me.

John
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:16:43 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

one question...  how did you get the juice to the bird house camera?  did you run underground wire to the base of the tree?

Yes... I am an old wire-twister... I always find a reason to run a little wire. I like using CAT5 for extending the X10 cameras, it's pretty easy to do. Because I keep the power supplies inside and only run harmless low voltage wire.... I don't need to trench to get the wires underground. I use a spade to split the ground 3-6 inches deep. Then I tap in the wire with a board.

To extend the wire for a wireless camera the easiest way can be a store-bought mini-stereo plug extension. The wired cameras can be extended simply using a (proper) phone extention cord.

I like to place my cameras where they can be seen by another camera... so they can keep an eye on each other. Some of the cameras are pretty much hidden.... but I like to keep one or two easy to spot. I feel that helps provide a deterrent. Also... some of my cameras are mounted on the house... and some away from (and looking at) the house.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:25:08 AM by Dave_x10_L »

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 02:34:51 AM »

Dave's right you got a bad one this thing is really LOUD send it back.

Tom j.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 11:32:34 PM »

You know one of the best sirens x10 makes is the one on the Monitor Plus it's totally different then the one on the DS7000 security console. The siren is extremely intimidating and if I was x10 I would use that driver in the smaller powerhorn, it would make a great little siren.

Tom j.

Johnnylaw

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 02:34:22 PM »

[b]Yes... I am an old wire-twister... I always find a reason to run a little wire.[/b] I like using CAT5 for extending the X10 cameras, it's pretty easy to do. Because I keep the power supplies inside and only run harmless low voltage wire.... I don't need to trench to get the wires underground. I use a spade to split the ground 3-6 inches deep. Then I tap in the wire with a board.

To extend the wire for a wireless camera the easiest way can be a store-bought mini-stereo plug extension. The wired cameras can be extended simply using a (proper) phone extention cord.

I like to place my cameras where they can be seen by another camera... so they can keep an eye on each other. Some of the cameras are pretty much hidden.... but I like to keep one or two easy to spot. I feel that helps provide a deterrent. Also... some of my cameras are mounted on the house... and some away from (and looking at) the house.

I'm a Wire Twister myself (getting older   ;D)
thanks for the idea's I will be using them in the near future.
My 3 Large Powerhorns are supposed to arrive today, I can't wait to plug them in and hear the NOISE.

Johnnylaw

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 07:52:49 PM »

:)%
My 3 new Large PowerHorns arrived this afternoon and I rushed and plugged them in

WOW  WOW  WOW   very nice and VERY LOUD !

just the way I like it.

also after futher reading on here I tried my defective powerhorn in 2 other plugs and PRESTO it worked in the 2nd plug
so I won't be sending it back after all.

so now I have 4 large powerhorns in my house and the house ROCKS when the system goes off.

John

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.