Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wall dimmer not working  (Read 12208 times)

anthony

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wall dimmer not working
« on: January 04, 2006, 09:21:08 AM »

i have just installedsome of my 1st X10. the
dimmerworks locallymy hand but not on the
remote. i also have a working lamp module so
i know the x10 is working. is it possable my
lights and sockets are not connected together
and is there anything i can do to fix this?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Wall dimmer not working
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:41:14 PM »

Maybe a phase problem. Most homes are split
phase. Half the home on each phase. X10
signals have problems getting to the other
phase. A rough test if you have a 220 volt
appliance like a dryer or stove. Turn it on
and test the bad switches again. If they
work you need a phase coupler. They make
plug in ones for dryer sockets or hard wired
ones for the main breaker box.

Snoochy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:25:04 PM »

I have just run across the same situation on all my wall switches.  Last month they worked with remote, manually, and with the software.  Then, I installed the dryer phase coupler (4826A Coupler - Repeater) last week to fix other issues I had, and now all of a sudden, the dimmers do not work with remote or the software (I have the latest AHP software with myHouse, OnAlert). 

To be more specific, I can still manually dim the lights at the switch.  However, if I use the software to dim the light to 50%, it begins to dim, and then drops to say 7 or 8%.  If i try to dim it again by clicking at 50% on the software, it shoots up to 100%.  The remotes do not dim the lights at all now.

Any ideas (since it seems that the phase coupler was not the issue in the first place...and obviously I can't simply remove it since I need it to fix the phase issue I have).  Could it be that the coupler I got (which was pretty $$$) is also a repeater and maybe I should have cheaped out and just got the coupler with no repeater?

Anyone else seen this problem?   ???

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:07:13 PM »

Snoochy... I had the same problem when using the coupler/repeater. Thought I was doing the right thing early on by getting one. Turns out that the reapeater part didn't help. Multiple signals on the wire caused some strange things to happen.

I since went out and got the Passive Coupler and every thing went back to normal and worked good on both phases.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 03:42:08 PM »

Couldn't agree more. Also trashed my leviton repeaer and installed a PASSIVE coupler and things improved dramatically.

Also the "boosterlinc" option in my SH keypadlinc makes the house go nuts.

These things *may* work if you have a lttle or no noise on the line. Also I have heard better things about the ACT line than I have heard about the leviton line - esp. the 6201.

GLT

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 10:37:35 AM »

FWIW
$0.02
I have used Leviton and ACT repeaters (CR230 and CR234),  and yes the ACT work much better. They have higher output, I have never had them "lock-up" which the Leviton would do on regular basis, and they repeat DIMs correctly.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tlemons

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 11:31:06 AM »

Thanks for this conversation.  I read conflicting things, though.  Several of you feel that couplers work better than repeaters; others feel that some repeaters work better than others.  What's the real deal?

In my house, I can send commands to an X10 lamp module PLM01, if the lamp module is plugged into an outlet on the same floor as the CM15A, or if the lamp module is plugged into a bathroom circuit on the other floor; but I can't send commands to the PLM01 if it is plugged into an outlet on the other floor that isn't a bathroom outlet.  I'm guessing that I need a repeater or a coupler, from other notes that I've read.  If that's true, which one do I need?  Any way I can test this to make sure before I buy?

Thanks
tl

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 08:42:14 AM »

Turning the dryer or stove on generally mimics a passive coupler.

1. How big is your house? Over 3500 sq. ft. and some recommend a repeater.

2. If you buy a repeater, buy the more expensive ACT (aka Homepro) one. Ya get what ya pay for (sometimes).

3. I love my wired in, passive coupler - but in the lightning capital of the world - they seem to go bad every 3-4 years. I HAVE a (working?) Leviton repeater in my JUNK box.

4. How serious about X-10 are you? I *THINK* if you buy a signal meter and FILTER all of the offending electrical items, the repeaters work better. Otherwise, they repeat and amplify noise.

5. See my post above.

GLT

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »

tlemons
FWIW
I think I am echoing glt recommendations:
I think a repeater amp is a better way to go over a passive coupler. A STRONGER signal is always more desireable, regardless of house size.
I have used both ACT and Leviton repeaters and do not believe they will repeat "noise". I prefer the ACT models as they have a higher output and are not "dumb" (they handle DIM/BRI strings with no problems). I have had many problems with my Leviton going stoopid (simply locks up and does nothing), but it is a decade old, so may be a problems fixed long ago.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tlemons

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »

Thank you for the replies.  I'm not an electrician, so I want to keep installation simple.  Does the ACT HomePro repeater require electrician installation?  I've seen some repeaters that plug into the dryer electrical plug, bridging the two house phases.  Does an ACT model exist that does this?  I Goggle'd around, but didn't see one.

Thanks
tl

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »

I have not seen an ACT Brand that plugged into a Dryer Outlet. The Smarthome one does and I can verify with a AM14A or LM14A two way module. It can send a continuous stream of X10 garbage. On certain Addresses when first connected as it does a status request to the X10 controller and the request caused a firestorm of X10 signals.

tlemons

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 10:55:03 PM »

It can send a continuous stream of X10 garbage. . . . the request caused a firestorm of X10 signals.

Ick.  Are you saying that this Smarthome dryer repeater doesn't work, or doesn't work well?

tl

jkarney

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 12:20:24 AM »

Just to add my two cents:

I have been using the Smarthome Plug-in Coupler/Repeater over the past year and a half. I have 25+ x10 modules (wired & plug-in), multiple motion sensors, all offending equipment filtered , and using AHP / CM15. My experience with the coupler/repeater has been great. My system is very reliable. Tried just a passive coupler, no go; I needed the signal boost. My house is just over 2200 S.F.

I have not experienced what Brian H has reported.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 06:47:59 AM »

It works fine. Except the Status Request from the LM14A and AM14A two way modules; when powered up;  can cause a firestorm of X10 signals and that is only on certain addresses.

tlemons

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 09:29:02 PM »

Excellent; thank you, both.

What model repeater did you buy from SmartHome?  I want to get what you got.

Thanks again
tl
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.