Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Macro Triggered on Power Failure  (Read 42324 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Macro Triggered on Power Failure
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 12:14:03 PM »

...the Powerflash won't work for an outage that is less than a few seconds (perhaps there are capacitors in it that need to discharge or something).
For some applications it might be critical to act upon even the briefest power interruption. eg. Restoring security lighting.

On the other hand, I actually see the delay as an advantage. It will reduce the number of multiple macro executions every time the power flickers. My application will be to make sure certain appliances aren't left on. eg. The coffee pot. While I wouldn't want it to be turned off with a power flicker, I would want it to be turned off it I had left it on and gone to bed or left the house.

Also I have plenty of indoor night lights that will stay on during a power outage and outdoor motion detector lights. I also collect LED flashlights. (Someone asked me how many I had once and I lost count after 20 or so.) With my flashlights, green laser pointer and several UPS units, I actually have fun when the power goes out. eg. I can sit on the front porch and entertain the neighbors with my laser while talking on the cordless phone during a power outage. ;)

I've even thought of putting a UPS on the garage door opener but figure I can use the exercise opening it manually if I needed. I do have my power up marco set up to re-latch to the garage door and close it when power is restored, however.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2006, 01:23:12 PM »

FWIW

You can use a "Time Delay Relay" to trigger a Powerflash "X" minutes after power is restored, thus giving time for computer to boot or CM15A to stabilize.

Most TDRs have a 120v output. Some models the time delay is variable, either by a fixed value resistor, or a pot. They are usually fairly inexpensive, $5 to $8 from electronic surpluse houses like:

MECI
All Electronics
Electronic Goldmine
Electronic Surplus Inc
American Science and Surplus

I use one to energize a 120v coil relay which then powers an outlet strip where I have computers, printers, CM15A, etc, etc plugged in. I wanted to eliminate the flicker/noise/spikes/low voltage etc, typically whacking your house for seconds after a large area power restore.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 01:55:51 PM »

FWIW
You can use a "Time Delay Relay" to trigger a Powerflash "X" minutes after power is restored, thus giving time for computer to boot or CM15A to stabilize. ...
Most of my components (computers, phone, entertainment centers & fish tank :)) are on UPS for line protection but I like your idea to delay restoration to your system.

For this application the easiest way to use a time delay relay is to simply connect the switched contacts to the input of the PowerFlash. Less wiring challenges for one thing. I'll keep your idea in mind if the natural delay of the PowerFlash isn't enough.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.