Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP Doesn't program Socket Rockets  (Read 32825 times)

michael

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP Doesn't program Socket Rockets
« on: November 09, 2005, 12:04:05 AM »

Not that Socket Rockets are my favorite
module, but I just found AHP doesn't program
them when you add a new Socket Rocket
module.  That was actually a nice feature in
original AH.

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: AHP Doesn't program Socket Rockets
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 11:45:52 PM »

It would be convenient if AHP would program Socket Rockets, but their is a macro that can be created and ran to program them. I don't remember how it works, but I think it can be found on the X-10 website trouble shooting page under Soket Rocket.  From what I remeber, one has to call the address to be programmed, pause a second or two, and then call the address again, pause, and then call the address a third time.   

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 12:19:18 AM »

...From what I remeber, one has to call the address to be programmed, pause a second or two, and then call the address again, pause, and then call the address a third time.   
I'd buy a controller box before I'd create a macro every time I needed to program a Socket Rocket. Creating a macro just to program the Socket Rocket is more trouble than it's worth. On the other hand, if AHP did it for me without creating a macro...
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

nklght

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 01:21:45 AM »

I have to agree with you to a point, it is a pain in the behind to create the macros to program the Socket Rocket, and after creating and running the Macros to program the socket rocket I have not been able to get the dumb thing to work.  When ever I need to program a Socket Rocket is that I use a lamp not connected to x-10 and hit a button 3 or 4 times and program the rocket, then I place the rocket,  it is easier to program everything manually.  If, AHP had a built-in to program the dumb thing, that would be great.  I would not recommend creating the macros, I was just trying to help Micheal out.   

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 11:12:58 AM »

I agree.

Socket Rockets are easily programmed from a MC-460 desktop controller and a lamp. send the code 3 times, the light turns on. Unscrew the Socket Rocket and put it where you will use it.  I have 3 Socket Rockets in my basement and all were programmed that way. No fuss, no muss.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

nklght

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 01:15:19 AM »

I have never had success with the recommended macro.  Many users do not realize that they can screw the unit into a non-X-10 fixture and then use a remote set to the code that they want the Socket Rocket to respond to, hit the on button 3 times, then move the Socket Rocket to the desired position.  I currently use 5 Socket Rockets, and all have been programmed using a non- X-10 desklamp and then moving the unit to its desired position.

Roland

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 12:22:11 AM »

If they publish the macro and say it works, why don't they make it work?  I thought that this would be the way to do it and buy a controller to program them.

Lots of advertising but no substance.

Roland :'(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:50:36 AM »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 09:10:58 PM »

The easiest way is still a MC-460 and a lamp.   Forget the macro.  The way I do it is no fuss, no muss.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

nklght

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 03:58:41 AM »

I agree the macro doesn't work, the way I programmed the socket rocket was to screw it into a lampbase and hit the button for the appropiate code 3 times on my remote, if the light screwed into socket rocket turned on I know the unit accepted the code, if the light did not turn on, then I would hit the button until the light turned on, after that I can move the socket rocket anywhere in the house I want.

waterstom

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »

"Many users do not realize that they can screw the unit into a non-X-10 fixture and then use a remote set to the code that they want the Socket Rocket to respond to, hit the on button 3 times, then move the Socket Rocket to the desired position. "

YEP, just like the INSTRUCTION SHEET says to do...

Be careful with SR's as they seem to be fragile.  Had a few that if turned too hard, broke the screw-base off and rendered useless.

As a tip, I have sorto an X10 kit that I use when tinkiering, consisting of a lightbulb, and one of those adapters with a plug on one side, and a light-socket on the other.  I use THAT for programming SR's easily.  I grab those items, and a remote, and walk to any wall outlet, and presto!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 04:34:04 PM »

...I have sorto an X10 kit that I use when tinkiering, consisting of a lightbulb, and one of those adapters with a plug on one side, and a light-socket on the other....
My test box has regular power switch controlling a GFI outlet to the right to it and a standard outlet to the right of the GFI one. The standard one is the test outlet. The test outlet that is wired with neutral and ground only. I have a wire coming out of my box connected to what would be it's live side of the test outlet. I have a test wire connected to the live side of a plug that I plug into the GFI outlet. Both wires have wire nuts on them for connecting and testing switches. Plugging in a 25 watt bulb via an adapter in the test outlet makes a quick tester. I wire everything with it unplugged or at least the switch off. The GFI box helps keep me alive for future tests should I decide to "test the load created by a direct short" or "route electrons away from their proper return path".
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 12:54:03 PM »

If you want to set up a Socket Rocket using AHP there is no need to make a macro, simply follow the link that Brian H supplied. In short you simply set up a chime module in AHP set to the house and unit code you want to program the Socket Rocket to. You can simply select the chime module three times and as it only sends on commands it will program the socket rocket.

I have used this method for years and it works fine.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

dkistner

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 08:48:17 AM »

I don't believe it. After all that frustration this morning, the Remote Chime trick worked like a charm after just three clicks. Now I'm hopeful I can get all this other stuff to work, too! THANKS!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.