Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Compact Flourescent (Energy Saver) Bulbs  (Read 132593 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Compact Flourescent (Energy Saver) Bulbs
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 10:11:31 PM »

I use the CFLs and I have found that one in a package of two can create enough line "noise" to disrupt my X10 system. While the 2nd CFL may work just fine, with no noticeable line noise at all.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 03:52:59 AM »

Compact Flourescents,
can be used with any fixture that does not allow dim.  I had a set of CFS not cooperating and found out that the problem was with macros and timers,  Since, I based most of my timers on dusk and dawn, the lights were never on in the mornings, shut of during the day, and ran all night long.  I had to give hard time times to the timers.  My timers were supposed to turn off at 6:15 am and turn on 30 minutes before dusk, due to the seasons they would shut off before they were turned on, I then learned to respect the use timers and not blame the use Compact Flourescents.   

nklght

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 01:09:45 AM »

X-10 needs to work with CFL manufactures, to provide devices that work with the X-10 technology.  Some states are considering mandatory use of CFL's to conserve energy.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 10:22:29 AM »

X-10 needs to work with CFL manufactures, to provide devices that work with the X-10 technology.

Let's face it, CFL manufacturers don't give a hoot about X10.  The bottom line is all that is important nowadays.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »

I think you are right.

I have CFLs in all my Socket Rockets, as they don't dim. I also put a CFL in every non X10 controlled lamp in my house.  I've looked at dimmable CFLs, but they are either very expensive or not available in my area (Baltimore, MD).  The only lamps that don't have CFLs in them are my Dining Room overhead fan, which one of these days is going on X10.  Perhaps in that time dimmable CFLs will be available at reasonable prices.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 08:29:41 PM »

Like Dan I use CFL's about everywhere I can and in all my socket rockets. All my CFL's are Phillips and I have had no noise problems to date. (using 13 Watt and 23 Watt).

Here is a link to a dimmable 20 Watt CFL by Phillips for $9.95. I have not tried one.
http://www.prolighting.com/ph20wdicfl28.html

Most florescents, magnetic ballast or electronic ballast can be dimmed but it takes a special dimmer. You can expect to pay around $100 to $140 for the dimmer control.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »

$9.95 for a dimmable CFL is highway robbery.  You can buy non-dimmable CFLs in 3-6 packs for half that amount.

At $9.95 per, 4 would cost me nearly 40 bucks to put them in my fan lights if I put the fan/lights on X10 control.   That's my major gripe.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 07:18:03 AM »

Quote from:
$9.95 for a dimmable CFL is highway robbery

Guess that entirely depends on the amount of electric savings over  the  life expectency of the bulb. It might actually be cheaper than a standard filament bulb of the same light output.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 01:04:15 PM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »

Thats true JimC... the 20 Watt is = to a standard 75 watt bulb. I have a 13 watt CFL thats on 24/7 and has been on about 8 months now. A standard bulb would have been replaced at least once maybe twice by now.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 07:20:57 PM »

I think we will see considerably more of the CFL's..... before they are banned. They contain heavy metal (mercury). As they save some pollution, by using less energy, that same energy will be consumed in the "recycling process".

The CFL's have been available for nearly a decade... I have been using them for eight years. Only now that they have become "cheap" (manufactured in china) are they catching on with the general public. And only now are the environmentalist beginning to holler. CFL's are going the way of the "plastic bag". Plastic bags replaced paper ones to save trees. Now plastic bags are being banned to save land fill.

I purchased three LED light bulbs the other day. The bulbs have 18 LEDs in-cased in a plastic bulb-like defuser, but even with the defuser the light is very directional. They consume 1.3 watts each and (though no spec was included) I would guess one puts-out about as much light as a 15 watt incandescent bulb. The light is not white... even by CFL standards... seems to have a tint of green.

They work fine with my X10! They even dim smoothly (I didn't expect that).

For now, I am looking for brighter LED bulbs.... that only cost an arm... or a leg... instead of both. But, with a 100,000 hour life span any LED I buy could last me "forever".  Another advanage, Led is much easier to spell than either incandescent or fluorescent.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 05:41:26 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nklght

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 03:50:28 AM »

I have used CFL's in certain parts of my house, but the light output they provide is still lackluster compared to incandescent bulbs.  They need to develop CFL's which are equivalent to higher wattage incandescent bulbs.  I have a cieling fan with 4X 13 watt CFL's, not controlled by X-10, the light output sucks, and we use floor lamps to light the area.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2007, 04:10:16 AM »

I have used CFL's in certain parts of my house, but the light output they provide is still lackluster compared to incandescent bulbs.  They need to develop CFL's which are equivalent to higher wattage incandescent bulbs.  I have a cieling fan with 4X 13 watt CFL's, not controlled by X-10, the light output sucks, and we use floor lamps to light the area.

Strange!  I use CFL's almost exclusively and the output seems to match the "incandescent equivalent" quite nicely.  Granted they take a minute or two to "warm up" to full brightness, but otherwise they are about the same (except less power used).  Maybe you got a bad batch?   ???
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

nklght

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2007, 05:07:58 AM »

I doubt that we got a bad batch on two cieling fans, but it might be possible that due to the light location, and position they are not able to provide enough usable light, but ambient light.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 07:38:37 AM »

Have not tried any with dimmers, but GE has a line of CFLs that are 6500K color scale bulbs. Like Bright White. The 4700Ks to me look dull.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.