Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [IDEAS] Using Programmable Thermostats With X10 (AH/AHP)  (Read 30885 times)

Pikachu

[IDEAS] Using Programmable Thermostats With X10 (AH/AHP)
« on: December 01, 2005, 02:11:25 PM »

I'd like to be able to overide a
programmable thermostat using macros, so
that I can save energy when no one is home
(sensed by motion sensors).  I don't like
the Set-Back device - it is an ugly kluge
and requires a power outlet, appliance
module, and extra wiring and devices on my
wall.

brian

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: [IDEAS] Using Programmable Thermostats With X10 (AH/AHP)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 01:20:37 PM »

Pikachu,
I second that request! Maybe X-10 can make
some money with this one.

david lomax

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 04:55:12 PM »

I Third that request, I have been wanting
to control that energy guzzler better. And
the way energy costs have been going up
across the country that would be nice.

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 11:34:28 PM »

I also agree,
The add on module looks like an old add on for a rotary thermostat rarely used today. I bought a new house 6 months ago and my in-laws purchased a new house 2 years ago.  Both of them came with a thermostat that looked like it was programmable, but they lacked the features.  In order to use that module I would have to buy an antique looking thermostat and then purchase and wire the x-10 module.  I currently use a programmable thermostat and would like to be able to use x-10 to make it more functional.  Since, schedules change and drastic temperature swings can occur, or you might take the day off.  All of these events require someone to physically change the thermostat.   I have it programed, yet it usually stays on hold. 

bigbear1969

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 02:33:25 PM »

For a temporary workaround, you can take an old cheap manual thermostat and run both it and your programmable to the HVAC. Interrupt the control line of the manual thermostat with a universal module. Set the manual thermostat for a temp colder than u want in the summer and warmer than you want in the winter. Then turn on the universal module when you want to overide the programmable thermostat and then when the temp gets to what you want, turn it off. Since the programmable and the manual are both set to make it colder or both set to make it hotter, they don't fight each other. When you turn off the universal module, the temp slowly changes until you turn the u/m back on or the programmable kicks in on it's programming. Not a perfect fix, but it works well for me most of the time. The only problem I have is when the weather changes are severe enough that I'm switching from heat to A/C.
When I first tried it, I set the manual at the actual temp I wanted the house to be and didn't like that as much as the cooler in summer, warmer in winter settings. I was more likely to forget and leave the u/m turned on if it didn't go past a cofortable temperature.
I use HAL deluxe and have if/then statements set up to try it with a second u/m on the programable, to ensure that they are never on at the same time, but have not yet taken the time to wire it up. I'm also trying to rig a temperature sensor so I can have HAL tell me the current house temperature over the phone so I can check on whether or not I turned of the manual thermostat.
I use this setup because my work schedule (I'm the sound engineer in a theatre) is very erratic and the programming on my $50 thermostat hardly ever got used. Now I have a regular schedule programmed that saves me money on electricity and the manual to overide with for comfort.
I also have my hot tub on an x10 switch (pneumatic controls, so I can't control the hot tub directly without a lot of extra high voltage wiring and I just don't want to mess with it around water) with a normal schedule of on for even hours, off for odd hours. I have a series of macros set up that will overide the schedule and keep the hot tub on (or off) all the time or for certain periods of time.
It's really nice to be able to call the computer as I'm leaving work and tell HAL "I'm on my way home" and have him turn on the HVAC, my hot tub and the driveway light which has a non x10 motion detector. I take about 40 minutes to get home and the light comes on when I pull into the driveway and the house and the hot tub are both at perfect temperatures. Now if I can just figure out a way to teach HAL to have a frozen margarita and a hot blonde waiting at the hot tub...

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 03:14:40 PM »

...Now if I can just figure out a way to teach HAL to have a frozen margarita and a hot blonde waiting at the hot tub...
Be sure and let us know if you figure that one out.  ;D
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

nklght

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 01:36:45 AM »

If I understand what you are saying, 
I should run another line (multiple wires)  connected to the household air handler and to a second thermostat.  I could then set one to heat and the other to A/C.  As long as the temperatures, don't over-lap, the system will work fine,  since I am energy conscious,  I will let my house get colder or warmer than comfortable, when nobody is home.  How will this setup help me when someone comes home early, It will allow the system to switch from heat to A/C, but if someone comes home early, they will still need to manually override the system.

bigbear1969

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 08:30:25 PM »

Not exactly. Let's deal with one season at a time and that should make it a little easier to follow. In the summer, you set the programmable thermo to the energy saving temp of your choice, let's say 85 degrees. This will be the temp that is in use when u are all away from, the house. It will also be programmed with the exact temperature (let's say 78 degrees) that your family finds comfortable, but it will be scheduled to use that temp ONLY when you are certain that someone will be home (10 pm to 6 am or such). The manual thermo is set to a few degrees below that number (say 72 degrees). When someone is on their way home early, they can call (if you have a telephone controller) and activate the universal module which will connect the manual thermo to the HVAC unit. When it comes on, the HVAC will come on and start cooling off the house. By the time they get home, the house will be cool. When the house gets colder than you want (below 78 degrees) you will notice that the manual thermo is still engaged and remember to send the x10 signal to turn off your universal module.

In the winter, you set the programmable thermo to the energy saving temp of your choice, let's say 68 degrees. This will be the temp that is in use when u are all away from, the house. It will also be programmed with the exact temperature (let's say 74 degrees) that your family finds comfortable, but it will be scheduled to use that temp ONLY when you are certain that someone will be home (10 pm to 6 am or such). The manual thermo is set to a few degrees above that number (say 80 degrees). When someone is on their way home early, they can call (if you have a telephone controller) and activate the universal module which will connect the manual thermo to the HVAC unit. When it comes on, the HVAC will come on and start warming up the house. By the time they get home, the house will be warm. When the house gets hotter than you want (above 74 degrees) you will notice that the manual thermo is still engaged and remember to send the x10 signal to turn off your universal module.

As I said earlier, "The only problem I have is when the weather changes are severe enough that I'm switching from heat to A/C.", But once summer is really here, it runs great, likewise, once it truly turns to winter, this works well.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 12:50:05 PM »

Check out the RCS TXB16..

nklght

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 01:42:46 AM »

Thanks for the link, that looks like it solves the HVAC problem I wanted X-10 to solve, of course after researching what it does, it will cost some dough to implement.  Home automation isn't cheap.

KingwoodAutomation

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 01:35:27 AM »

I am kinda new here guys so cut me a little slack before you hammer me with technical jargon. ;D

I have been looking for an X10 compatable thermostat that was programmable. Looks like the TSB16 is really all that is available. How can I get it put into my new home pro software? All I see is one of those old ancient set back systems to drag and drop into a macro.

Is there a macro I can get from X10 or anybody else to help automate this thermostat with "Smart Macros"?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 03:24:27 AM »

...Is there a macro I can get from X10 or anybody else to help automate this thermostat with "Smart Macros"?
Start by checking out the X10 Decode Tables at the link in Roger1818's message. It appears the this thermostat can be operated in different modes.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 03:55:57 AM »

...Is there a macro I can get from X10 or anybody else to help automate this thermostat with "Smart Macros"?
Start by checking out the X10 Decode Tables at the link in Roger1818's message. It appears the this thermostat can be operated in different modes.

Utilizing the full capability of the TXB16 requires sending and receiving the old-style Preset Dim codes, which are unfortunately not supported by  either ActiveHome Pro or the CM15A firmware.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 08:02:09 AM »

The TXB16 will only work with the CM11A controller. I know mControl software will work with the TXB16 unit but it has to be connected to the CM11A.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 08:15:43 AM »

Utilizing the full capability of the TXB16 requires sending and receiving the old-style Preset Dim codes, which are unfortunately not supported by  either ActiveHome Pro or the CM15A firmware.
My quick look at the X10 Decode Tables led me to believe you could send specific ON and OFF codes to control setback or specific temperatures. How are Preset Dim codes used? Can it also set temperature temperature based on a particular dim setting?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.