Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Door/window switches.  (Read 9705 times)

charlie d

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Door/window switches.
« on: February 07, 2006, 09:32:39 AM »

I would like to see door/window sensors,
similar to those for the security system,
but for use with home automation.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: Door/window switches.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 06:46:41 AM »

I agree with Charlie D. This would be very
useful. I am currently using magnetic
switches connected to Universal modules and
this works fine but it would be nice if X10
had a product designed for this.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »

It would be nice to have them be wireless.

How about a wireless motion sensor? Pair a mercury switch with transmitting switch for a cheap garage door position indicator.

Hmm... That gives me an idea. I have an extra keychain remote lying around. Maybe there's a trip to Radio Shack in the near future.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »

It would be nice to have them be wireless.

How about a wireless motion sensor? Pair a mercury switch with transmitting switch for a cheap garage door position indicator.

Hmm... That gives me an idea. I have an extra keychain remote lying around. Maybe there's a trip to Radio Shack in the near future.

The probelem with using a keychain remote is that will be continuously transmitting while the door is open (or closed).  If you put a capacitor in series with the door switch you should be able to get it to send a single on signal when you open the door and a single off signal when you close it.  You will have to play around a bit to figure out the correct value of capacitor though.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 01:32:37 PM »

From my experience, holding down the button on a remote (or shorting the contacts under the button) results in the code only being sent once. In order to send the code a second time, you need to release the button (un-short the contacts), and press it (short the contacts) again. I found this to be true for the keychain remotes, the hand-held ones, and for the plug-in mini controller.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 01:34:44 PM by Noam »

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 02:17:38 AM »

I would like to see some sort of door/window switch available.  This would be a lot more convienent than using motion sensors and timers.  I currently have timers set to come on at dusk, yet the weather plays a bigger part in dusk and dawn, not only the supposed sunrise and sunset in the AHP program.  It can be noon outside and due to the weather be pitch black.  I have pets at home and when using the different motion sensors, they managed to trip them all the time, when I started installing x10, the motion sensors were the first to go, since lights would turn on at all times of the night.   With a door/window switch, I can set my macro's to turn on when the switch is tripped and the sensor reports dusk.  This will also allow me to stop turning on the lights hours before anyone comes home.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.