Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Appliance wall switch?  (Read 10264 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Appliance wall switch?
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »

Pardon me if I'm bringing up the subject again but I got lost while doing a search. Also I didn't see the question put quite this way.

I'd like a non-dimming wall switch that does not respond to an all lights on command.

My specified application would be to turn a fan on and off.

Is there such a switch? Can a switch be modified to not dim? How about not respond to an all lights on?

Worst case I suppose I could use a regular switch and put it on a house code of its own that is never dimmed or sent an all lights on.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Re: Appliance wall switch?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 12:53:32 PM »

The WS13A will do the job:

http://www.activehomepro.com/accessories/acc_wallswitch_ws13a.html

It's a non-dimming appliance wall switch.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 01:36:02 PM »

The WS13A will do the job:...

Well it certainly is the best switch I've seen for the application. The main drawbacks for my application is that I'd like it to not  respond to an all lights on. I can live with that limitation by putting it on a different house code, however. I would like it to default to the off condition in the event of a power interruption like the wall switches do. Does it? Also the style of the switch will be a bit inconvenient sharing a box with 1 or 2 other conventional X10 or regular switches. I'd need some form of custom wall plate cover like I had to use for my X10 test box. My test box has a GFI protected outlet in the middle of a power switch and a standard outlet. The GFI outlet needed a similar rectangular hole like the WS13A needs. (Since one of the test items involves plugging in a wire to the live side of the outlet, I wanted to make sure I had the extra protection of the GFI.)

I also need to make sure I have a neutral wires at the two boxes where I have fans.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:52:28 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 02:11:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure there's an X10 Pro model with the same functions but not using the Decora-style dimmer. Actually, I think you can remove the paddle switch from the WS13A and use a push-button switch that's underneath it.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:40:26 AM »

I'm pretty sure there's an X10 Pro model with the same functions but not using the Decora-style dimmer.

Really?  What is the part number of this?  I looked on x10pro.com and couldn't find it.

Actually, I think you can remove the paddle switch from the WS13A and use a push-button switch that's underneath it.

So are you saying that you can combine a WS13A and a WS477 to make a "toggle" style (non Decora) appliance wall switch?  I have often wondered if you could do this, but have never actually tried.

ericb

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 05:30:03 PM »

The XPFM fixture module does not respond to the All Lights On command; you could mount it in the wall and stick an SS13A where the light switch used to be.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.