Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help installing PA011  (Read 4071 times)

ozlo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help installing PA011
« on: February 26, 2006, 10:53:21 AM »

Not sure if I am posting in the appropriate category. Apologies if I have misposted.

What I thought would be a simple swap has presented me with a problem.

How do you install a PA011 receptacle when the existing receptacle has 2 separate hot and neutral lines as in the image below?

Any qualified help appreciated. Thanks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Help installing PA011
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:15:25 AM »

I can't tell from the pic if the brass bit between the 2 screws is intacked or cut!
if it isn't cut on either side then installing is a snap. As both black can be joined together with a black wire to your new add,both white joined together with a white to your  added outlet.
I'm not qualified to do this so if in any doubt get an electician to do it!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 02:18:32 PM »

In the picture...

You need to check if the 2 wires are connected together at the receptacle, if they are great just connect em all together. or check if they are both on the same circuit.

If they are separate, one wire is running the top recp. the other is running the bottom recp. and they could be both on different circuits. In this case you should NOT just connect all the wires together. asking an electrician would be a good idea.
If Seperate, you could just ignore one set of wires comming in and hook up just the other to the new switch.

BUT, if they are connected, its most likely an in & out wire (one wire comes in - to plug - the other wire goes out - to another plug called daisy chaining) connecting all the wires is fine here.

remember, having them separate means you could say plug a fridge into the top and a microwave in the bottom as they are on separate circuits (or should be), if they were connected together using a fridge and microwave on the same plug will almost max that circuit, which isn't good if other recp. are in that specific circuit.

LOL, hope this helps you understand the 2 different connections possibilities at the receptacle better.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 02:22:08 PM by Mystyx »
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

ozlo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 02:42:02 PM »

Thanks for the quick and clear responses which are very much appreciated!!

poursha

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 05:41:38 PM »

Is DOES look separated.  Let me guess!  One of the two is connected to a wall switch?

If this is the case, then you just need to decide which one you want to use.  The switched or unswitched.

I'd just cap-off (put wire nuts on single wires) the two that you don't want to use, and use the other two as normal.

PS.  Personally I don't see value in the X10 receptacles.  Easier just to use an app-mod or a lamp-mod.  But, just me.

Rob

poursha

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 05:45:07 PM »

remember, having them separate means you could say plug a fridge into the top and a microwave in the bottom as they are on separate circuits (or should be), if they were connected together using a fridge and microwave on the same plug will almost max that circuit, which isn't good if other recp. are in that specific circuit.

Good POINT!  What is designed to be plugged into this outlet?  What your capacity max!

Rob

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.