Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Basics - receptacles controlled by a toggle switch  (Read 4085 times)

kajinka

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Basics - receptacles controlled by a toggle switch
« on: February 26, 2006, 10:16:04 PM »

Hi,

I've been trying to read up on X10 on-line for a bit but I'm still not sure what I need. Could somebody please give me a hint?
I'd like to replace a switch that currently controls just one plug with a toggle-looking x10 switch that would control 3 more lamps. I don't like the plug-in modules, so I'm planning to get some x10 receptacles but I don't know what to do to have a toggle switch control them (no plans to use any wireless remotes). Would a 2-way switch do it (or even better a 2-way dimmer)? If so, would I need to get a controller or something else to program the switch (I plan to have two of these setups in different rooms)?
I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Karla

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Basics - receptacles controlled by a toggle switch
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 12:19:38 AM »

I hope you realize that X-10 receptacles (and those of other manufacturers) are On/Off only.  If you require dimming you'll have to use either wall switch dimmer modules for permanently wired lamps or plug-in dimmer modules for table lamps.
(A dimmer receptacle would represent a definite hazard should someone unknowingly plug an appliance, e.g., a vacuum cleaner, into the receptacle.)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

kajinka

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 04:17:14 PM »

Thanks for the reply!
OK, now I know I shouldn't try to use dimmer switches for receptacles. I assume the 2-way toggleinc switch could control the receptacles - but do I need to buy something in addition to the receptacles and the switch to program them? Anyone, please!

Thanks a lot,
Karla

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 05:54:22 PM »

Before you spend any money, verify that the switch box includes the neutral wire required for the ToggleLinc.

To program the ToggleLinc, you'll need an X10 transmitter.  For your particular application an X10 MiniController will _probably_ do,  although it will limit you to setting the unit codes to the 1-8 range.  (More advanced features of the ToggleLinc require a transmitter  like the X-10 MaxiController which can send sequences of Housecode|Unit address codes _without_ function codes, but it doesn't appear that your setup could use any of these advanced features.)

BTW, if you're just using lamps where the bulb is oriented base-down and there's enough space in the harp, you might consider using a X10 LM15A "Socket Rocket" controller in each lamp.  They'll avoid the hassle of installing the receptacles and they switch silently (the receptacles click when they switch).  (Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with them so can't speak to their reliability.  I've seen complaints about LM15A failures from the heat when the bulb is oriented base-up under the unit, like in a ceiling fixture.)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

kajinka

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 12:57:30 PM »

Thanks so much for all the info, Charles!!! It helps a lot.

Karla

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.