Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How can I disconnect phone/DSL w/o xmitting over power lines  (Read 2914 times)

PeterV

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How can I disconnect phone/DSL w/o xmitting over power lines
« on: March 01, 2006, 11:00:52 AM »

I have teenagers that like to sneak on the phones and internet (DSL) late at night.   >:(   I want a way to completely disconnect my phone line (killing both) at night.  The only place I think I can disconnect all the lines is at the box on the side of the house where there is no 120V power.  I think I can use the universal module to do this, but it requires line power.  So my questions are: 
a) is there a wireless, battery operated, low level, x10 compatible or other, switch that can handle freezing temps, that I can remotely control from in the house?
b) will putting a simple relay in series with the phone line likely cause DSL problems?
I have begun to install an x10 system (security system plus a few wireless light switches).  I have not yet decided whether to buy/use the old CM11A based computer SW or the CM15A/Pro stuff (I have both 98/serial and XP/USB machines) to do further automation. 
c) Any thoughts on that choice would be appreciated also.
If you are not happy where you are, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!  Earn what you deserve.  Contact me today to learn how you could be earning a six figure income this year.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: How can I disconnect phone/DSL w/o xmitting over power lines
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 11:39:11 AM »

Stay away from 98 for your homeautomation which ever way you go (old stuff won't work with any new gadets you get).
I say go with the CM15A but then I have no problems with it. There are other options out there besides the CM11A and the CM15A!
There are Phone disabling devices out there Smarthome makes one. I always just used my pc to dial home disconected in the morin.  kids pick up and get a busy signal they think the phones broken! Well it worked for me ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

PeterV

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 12:22:23 PM »

Thanks Tuiceman.   I am not sure what the other options are (other than x10 SW/HW).  I have looked a little but haven't found anything that anyone is touting as incredibe or better (maybe less buggy, but not better).  I wish x10 would figure out what's going on with so many of the CM15A systems.  If it isn't buggy, then it sure seems much more susceptable to something than the prior/other systems. 

I'll look for the Smarthome phone disabler.  I have the GE Smarthome catalog, but it isn't in there.  We have been taking the phone off the hook in our bedroom so far, but that doesn't disable the DSL.  I can't lock the PC at the bootup level as it is already locked at the BIOS level (without requiring a bootup password) and no one know how it happened or what the BIOS password is.  ::)   
If you are not happy where you are, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!  Earn what you deserve.  Contact me today to learn how you could be earning a six figure income this year.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 01:51:05 PM »

Ok AutomatedOutlet has one not sure if it will lock your DSL Phonelock
As for your bios password it is easy to reset but you have to open the case.
Depending on the mother board manufacturer and if you have the mother board book you can do it by shorting out a pin.(book will show how)
If you don't have the book removing the battery will do it.  In most cases 5 min to 2 hours but I have heard of it taking over night to reset!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 05:11:47 PM »

As to cutting off the DSL, that's the easy part. Unplug the DSL modem!!!! No DSL, no WEB.  100% guaranteed.

For the phones, you can buy phone equipment to allow line splitting in the house. The Grey box outside is the telco's interface. A pair of wires leads inside the house.  Put the wires to the kid's rooms on a branch that can be shut off without loosing total phone service. If you can't do it, an electric contactor should be able to do it at no great expense.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.