Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are your favorite X-10 (or related) Modules?  (Read 1118 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: What are your favorite X-10 (or related) Modules?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2024, 06:23:11 PM »

Too bad it was discontinued.

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 01:07:54 AM »

Agree, but like a lot of these things, I now and then see them on E-Bay.

But that said, your comment could and does apply to an ever growing number of X-10 products. Either out of stock, not in production, it replaced by newer, often cheaper or smaller non X10 products.

(sigh).

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2024, 12:52:39 PM »

Actually, I think it's astonishing that X10 is still around at all. It will be 50 years old next year(!) with little to no change in its product line and nothing made obsolete or requiring firmware updates.  It's hard to think of any other consumer product that's had such a long run.  But times do change and newer offerings eliminate the constraints imposed by using PLC.  While the PLC issues have been successfully mitigated by serious users, most whom are members of this forum, today's options are just easier for the masses to use.

X-10, as the defacto HA standard for years, never evolved their product and has been surpassed by others who offer better solutions.  Even their WM100 was obsolete the day they released it and they've done little to improve it. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2024, 03:12:51 PM »

I am a bit surprised X10 is still around.
I know some here still have BSR modules still functioning.
After X10 Wireless Technologies just shut down with no warnings one day.
Thought we where done.
I am glad we got a new owner.
Yes it looks like newer automation users are going a different route.

brobin

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2024, 03:56:27 PM »

Case in point! Lighting up the world:

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2024, 06:27:34 PM »

I have been using X10 for as long as it's been around I think. Amazingly enough, I'm still using the original Radio Shack 'Plug-n-Play lamp modules I first got. They are in daily use with my second CM15a to turn my lights on and off every day.

Funny thing, when I met my wife and we first moved in together, I went around plugging in modules and installing switches in our apartment...she was like 'what is all this crap?' but now, she has the controller by her side of the bed and also is the biggest fan of Alexa integration with the Smartenit, which she also had some kind of snarky remark about when I was setting it up.

It's hard not to appreciate never coming home to dark house or having to turn on lights when it gets dark...

brobin

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2024, 08:10:10 PM »

Same here. Whenever I'd automate something new my wife would roll her eyes and then come to rely on it & complain when it doesn't work.  Over the last 40 years she's changed to asking if I can automate this or that and loves it - particularly Alexa.

guyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2024, 09:22:49 PM »

My legally blind wife certainly appreciates the Alexa integration. Yesterday I got chewed out because it wasn't working after I was fiddling with it. Got it back up and she's happy.

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2024, 09:30:35 PM »

Spouses of early adopters are usually early complainers...but, as I think we have all seen,  the benefits of HA, though slow to be realized soon become part of the everyday fabric and habits in a smart house.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 09:53:37 PM by glacier991 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 07:18:46 AM »

I don't  have a favorite x10 module but do use the CM15A the most. Since embedding a raspberry pi into a few they have become the key element to both my off grid and city residences.
I do have a few x10 devices that I found to be useless, the credit card remote is one that comes to mind.
 Like many users here l have a box full of spare x10 devices or that have been replaced with newer technology  but just can't  part with.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

radioguy1007

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2024, 01:37:26 PM »

I have to say I really love the in-wall light switches with soft start.  I have at least 20 of them installed in my home.  Nice to be in bed and tell Alexa to turn off the bedroom lights in 15minutes.

An old favorite was I think the PR511 floodlight with motion sensor / 8 code transmitter.  Was great to have for security - mounted on garage, would fire the local floods and turn on both front and back porchlights on the house.  Used the photocell channels to turn on lights inside the house.  It was too bad they did not make them out of UV resistant plastic. 

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2024, 10:40:33 AM »

My favorite would have been the SmartHome ToggleLinc except the life span was too short.  They made those switches for a very short time with a near OG X10 price point (around $15/ea).  I bought a couple to try and realized they were great!  But, by the time I had time to test them, the price had shot up to $45 (when on sale) while the standard WS467 was still around $5.  I wish I could have bought a bunch of those original ToggleLinc (and RelayLinc) switches and replaced everything X10 for my switch use!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.