Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just ordered my X10 ADT Home Security Burglar Alarm System Wireless!  (Read 3728 times)

jmblownws6

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Well I have read on here for the past two days and went to the FAQ's and it seems like the support is there. Just moved into my new home and I feel like this is the best bang for the buck system out there. ADT called me today and I got my quote and it was over 1k for what I wanted  :o So this was the last thing I was waiting for before I purchased the system. This is what I ended up with for a little over $250.00 off a ebay dealer.  ;D

1 Console for DS7000 Security System
1 Security Home control Remote
12 Door/Window Contacts/Sensors
2 Wireless Motion Detectors
2 Wireless 105 Decible Power Horn (Siren)
4 Lamp Modules
3 Keychain Security Remotes
3 Door or Window Decals

I cant wait to install it. The only thing the dealer didnt have was the wall mount bracket which I will purchase from x10 tomorrow. So how does everyone like there systems?

Thanks for your time

JMG
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 12:31:09 AM by jmblownws6 »

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16

Most of the stuff you bought is fine the only problem with the DS7000 are the MS10a motion detectors. In the one movement mode they are prone to false alarms. I have a spare console and recently used it to test some of MS10a's I bought a while back when x10 was offering 8 for less then fifty dollars. I put multiple units in a spare room that's on the back of the house had them pointing away from the windows and any heat sources and they all tripped within a few months I did this because I kept getting false alarms and couldn't figure out why. Actually that's why nobody really makes 1 movement detectors anymore one fraction of a second of interference can trigger a 1 movement motion detector that's why most if not all manufactures only have two and three movement detectors. These things can't be perfectly isolated from RF interference and would be prone to false alarms. There's also a problem with the two movement mode I was actually able to run the vacuum cleaner and basically cleanup the house before the detectors tripped and this is not an exaggeration. Out of 8 sensors I was only able to find 1 that would work 100 percent of the time. The analogy I like to use is would you buy a car that the brakes only worked 99% of the time? I think not and motions detectors if working and designed properly should be able to detect movement pretty much 100% of the time. So if you use the 2 movement mode test it thoroughly because if a intruder gets past your perimeter sensors those motion detectors are your only protection. One good thing is that the window door sensors are what I consider 100% reliable! I do remember when they had serious problems but apparently these have been resolved, you should absolutely have no problems if properly connected. Try the two movement mode and get back and share your experience with me, just curious.

Tcj
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 01:00:34 AM by tom j »

jmblownws6

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I will let you know ASAP. Thats not a good thing to hear. Because you are right. If they do get past the winodw and door sensors I would be screwed. I will install them and let you know ASAP.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16

I will let you know ASAP. Thats not a good thing to hear. Because you are right. If they do get past the winodw and door sensors I would be screwed. I will install them and let you know ASAP.

Great! Say Jim I bought that 8 pack for something like 50 bucks back in November and out of 8 only one was really reliable in the two movement mode. Some of the better ones would work maybe 80% of the time but like I said before would you feel comfortable driving a car with breaks that only worked 80 or even 99% of the time? So make sure you test them thoroughly before you conclude they are working properly, don't forget these things are your last line of defense and possibly the only thing standing between your valuables and the front door! I also think I've identified a design flaw with the MS10a and I need you to help me confirm it let me know when you have a few minutes and I'll explain the problem I've discovered. Jim don't get me wrong if you happen to get a working system it's great but I believe there are some serious problems with the motion detectors and x10 needs to address it, there are just to many people out there that depend on this system.  Another thing you might want to consider is taking out the extended warranty on your system, I know you can still purchase it even if you didn't purchase it initially. I bought a new console a while back just as a backup for my primary system and to test it I just plugged it in and really forgot about it until one day I came home and heard something buzzing it was my backup console and luckily I had a few more months left on the warranty so I was able to get a replacement witch luckily I haven't had similar problems with. I mention this not to try to scare you but just so you're be aware, the extended warranty isn't that much and is really good insurance. Hope I've been of some help.

Tcj
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:35:45 AM by tom j »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.