Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What would i need to...  (Read 2781 times)

squishedfly

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What would i need to...
« on: March 03, 2006, 01:01:45 AM »

Heres the thing...

my dad constantly gets mad at us leaving the lights on all over the house (kitchen, hallway, toy closet) and he always blames it on me even though its usually not my fault.  I saved up some money in hopes of getting it so i can have a remote to contorl the lights.  I would like to have one remote that can control 4 or 5 lights (just on/off, i dont care if it dims).  What should i buy to do this?  By the way, the lights arent connected by a plug into the wall, they were pre-wired when we bought the house

thx for the help
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 01:06:01 AM by squishedfly »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: What would i need to...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 07:54:20 AM »

Since this is expandable and your probly not looking to spend alot or have it to complicated for the moment you could get a Firecracker kit and some socketrockets they just screw into the existing light socket but you'll need extra space for the bulb (about 2 in)
The Firecracker kit usualy comes with a palm remote to control up to 16 devices, a tm751 transmiter,a lamp module,and a small computer interface (not needed unless you wish to get into some computerized stuff)
The kit usualy sells for less than the remote alone. You can then add a Socketrocket one at a time or watch for a 2 or 3 for one offer at X10.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 01:15:30 PM »

If your parents want the lights off always, get them in on it to pay for it....

tell them they will save money by setting up X10 switches and motion sensors to turn lights off after 5min of motion, or to dim them to use less energy when they dont need to, and later can expand to outside security lights to. no more worrying if you guys have left something on. :)

most X10 gear is just plug it in, no wiring of the house, a light switch is just a matter of changing the current switch to a new one (maybe your dad can change a wall switch). they can also be set on a timer for when your not home or to turn off after 10minutes. It makes the house look lived in while away too.
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

frank

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • "All the time in the world..."
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 10:12:49 PM »

Heres the thing...

my dad constantly gets mad at us leaving the lights on all over the house (kitchen, hallway, toy closet) and he always blames it on me even though its usually not my fault.  I saved up some money in hopes of getting it...

Tuicemen's nailed it! The Firecracker Kit is where I got my start. It's easy to set-up, and cheap. The "socket rockets" are definately the way to go to "get your feet wet in the sea of HA (home automation) products". Like Mystyx said: "maybe your dad can change a wall switch". If you wanna go that route instead of the "screw-in simplicity of the socket rockets", please don't get "over-enthusiastic" and try to do any house wiring on yer own!  :o Your Dad will be proud of your thoughtfulness. You don't wanna make him mad at ya fer burnin' down the house!  :-[  Or worse yet, causing harm to yerself!  :'(
I admire the way your handling your "share of the blame" by stepping-up to the plate and seeking-out a solution to the situation. It shows a level of maturity that yer Dad will be proud of, not to mention you'll be a "hero" in your sibling's eyes for getting "the grouch"  ;D  off their backs!

Good luck... and save yer pennies! Once you start, there's no turnin' back!

Frank
A1 used to bring a sizzzzling steak to mind.........

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.