Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unit will respond to on command, but not off comand  (Read 15989 times)

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Unit will respond to on command, but not off comand
« on: March 07, 2006, 01:50:13 AM »

I am using AHP with the cm15a, I have an 3 gang box containing 2 WS467 and 1 XPS3-IW.  All three are feed from the same circuit, yet the XP33-IW will not respond to the off command.  I have no issue with WS467.  I find it odd that one switch will turn on, but not off while the other switches (on the same circuit in the same box) have no issue following all the commands.  How do I determine if the switch is bad or if it is an issue with my wiring?
Thanks for the advice,
Nick

kog

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Unit will respond to on command, but not off comand
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 01:17:50 AM »

I just found your post, I am having the same problem with an XPS3, and it has no other modules on the circuit.  It simply controls a flourecent light; module was working for a couple of days, and then just wouldn't respond to off signals anymore.  I just posted a similar question specific to the XPS3, so I tend to believe there is something wrong with the module. 

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:01:38 AM »

Although the XPS3 and the WS13A can safely be used to control fluorescent lights, if the fluorescent light produces too much powerline noise, it can prevent the wall switch from hearing the command to turn off.  This problem is most typically seen when controlling certain brands of Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) since they use a switching powersupply. 

The easiest way to solve this problem is to change the brand of CFL that you are using.  If that doesn't help, the only way to solve the problem is to
install a noise blocker (such as the X10 Pro XPF or a Leviton 6287) between the wall switch and the fluorescent light.  Be sure to choose one that is rated higher than the maximum load.  The filter will also filter out X10 commands, so don't install it between the wall switch and the breaker panel. 

For more information, see my tutorial on Powerline Noise.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 11:17:44 AM by roger1818 »

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 01:04:55 AM »

I thought the XPS3 and WS13A were designed for use in applications which would create noise, such as powering flourescent fixtures and motors.  That is why it requires being directly connected to a neutral line, so it doesn't recieve the noise from going through the fixture. 

This comes straight from the X10 website:

Now You Can Have Both! With X10's decorator wall switch you can now enjoy the flexibility of X10 remote control along with a wall switch to control fluorescent lights, low-voltage lights and higher load appliances like air conditioners, ceiling fans or high-wattage lighting.

The WS13A decorator wall switch is like a heavy-duty appliance module you put in the wall. It works on 120V and can handle up to 20-amps at a maximum of 2,400 watts. This makes it the ideal switch to help you cut energy costs by putting devices like your air-conditioner or landscape lights on a timer while retaining manual control with the wall switch.

* Control ceiling fans, fluorescent lights, pool equipment, air conditioners
    * Save Energy by controlling 120V devices at up to 20-amps and 2,400 watts
    * Red LED indicates if switch is on
    * Works in 3-Way or 4-Way setups when used with Companion Switch (WS14A)
    * Responds to ALL LIGHTS ON and ALL UNITS OFF
    * Does not respond to bright and dim commands
    * Match your decor. Includes both white and ivory paddle switch covers and trim plates

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 12:51:20 PM »

It's not noise the creates the need for modules like the XPS3 and WS13A, it's the type of electrical load. The X10 signal doesn't travel on the neutral line, so that doesn't change the possibility of noise or signal attenuation affecting the ability of the module to control the load..

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 01:21:24 PM »

I thought the XPS3 and WS13A were designed for use in applications which would create noise, such as powering fluorescent fixtures and motors.  That is why it requires being directly connected to a neutral line, so it doesn't receive the noise from going through the fixture. 

No, they are not "designed" for use with loads that create  noise.  They are designed for loads that cannot be dimmed.

They can also be used for loads that have too high an internal impedance for the signal to travel through.  The regular wall swathes don't use a neutral wire so the signal must travel through the load, but the WS13A requires a neutral wire so the signal can travel directly from hot to neutral.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 06:46:22 AM »

Otis69; What type switch? Two wire dimming or a Relay type?

calconinc

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 05:00:53 PM »

I thought the XPS3 and WS13A were designed for use in applications which would create noise, such as powering flourescent fixtures and motors.  That is why it requires being directly connected to a neutral line, so it doesn't recieve the noise from going through the fixture. 

This comes straight from the X10 website:

Now You Can Have Both! With X10's decorator wall switch you can now enjoy the flexibility of X10 remote control along with a wall switch to control fluorescent lights, low-voltage lights and higher load appliances like air conditioners, ceiling fans or high-wattage lighting.

The WS13A decorator wall switch is like a heavy-duty appliance module you put in the wall. It works on 120V and can handle up to 20-amps at a maximum of 2,400 watts. This makes it the ideal switch to help you cut energy costs by putting devices like your air-conditioner or landscape lights on a timer while retaining manual control with the wall switch.

* Control ceiling fans, fluorescent lights, pool equipment, air conditioners
    * Save Energy by controlling 120V devices at up to 20-amps and 2,400 watts
    * Red LED indicates if switch is on
    * Works in 3-Way or 4-Way setups when used with Companion Switch (WS14A)
    * Responds to ALL LIGHTS ON and ALL UNITS OFF
    * Does not respond to bright and dim commands
    * Match your decor. Includes both white and ivory paddle switch covers and trim plates

I ordered the ws13a for my ceiling fan.  My fan has two speeds.  will this switch be able to control the two speeds?

Mainly the switch " Responds to ALL LIGHTS ON and ALL UNITS OFF"
I want to disabe that command.  It would not be good for that to come on with "all lights on" 
can that be disabled

Thanks

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 12:32:18 PM »

I ordered the ws13a for my ceiling fan.  My fan has two speeds.  will this switch be able to control the two speeds?

No.  It will only turn the fan on or off at the speed that the fan is set at.  If you want to control the speed of the fan, your best option is the Lightolier CCWHISPLC.

Mainly the switch " Responds to ALL LIGHTS ON and ALL UNITS OFF"
I want to disabe that command.  It would not be good for that to come on with "all lights on" 
can that be disabled

Most X10 modules are designed to either respond to ALL_LIGHTS_ON or not and this cannot be changed.  ACT's A10 modules however can be programmed to respond to any or all of ALL_LIGHTS_ON, ALL_LIGHTS_OFF and ALL_UNITS_OFF during configuration.  To my knowledge, they are the only ones with this programmability however.

pittpanther

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 11:10:33 AM »

I am having the same issue with the XPS3 controlling under the counter fluorescent lights.  They will turn on, but not off.  I read Roger's wiki, and then realized my load actually is dimmable (each light fixture has a 3 position switch, off/low/high).  I am sure the dimmer is blocking the off command and just wanted to know if there are any x10 solutions for a dimmable fluorescent load (i.e.:  will a noise filter work, etc.)?

Thanks!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 11:28:01 AM »

The Leviton 6287 wire in module has been used by some here for noise. It would have to be wired into the fixture or between the XPS3 and the fixture.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:01:20 PM by Brian H »

roger1818

• Roger H.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:23:05 AM »

I agree with Brian H.  The way you want to wire it is as follows:

Breaker Panel -> XPS3 -> Noise Filter -> load (including 3 position switch).

This will block any noise generated by the load from feeding back to the XPS3.

pittpanther

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 02:02:02 PM »

Thank you both for the responses - I will definitely check out the 6287 and report back!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.