Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 DS10A Door/Window sensors used with DS7000  (Read 15213 times)

James S.

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
X10 DS10A Door/Window sensors used with DS7000
« on: March 09, 2006, 02:09:58 PM »

I replaced the batteries in two DS10A Door/Window sensors after one year of use and the sensors now no longer work. I had this problem once before with a DS10A and thought that it was maybe a fluke. Now I'm wondering if this is a common problem. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

X10Securitysystems

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
    • X10 Security Systems
Re: X10 DS10A Door/Window sensors used with DS7000
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:21:19 PM »

Hey James,

I have to ask you if you registered the DS10A's sensors with the console after you replaced the batteries. When the batteries are replaced, the registration to the console is typically lost. Then the console and sensors cannot communicate until they are registered again. For more info on this process click this link...http://www.x10securitysystems.com/setup_sensors.html. Hopefully this helps, if you did re-register and  it still doesn't work we should be able to figure out your problem.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 05:49:11 PM by X10Securitysystems »
X10 Security Systems Advisor
X10SecuritySystems.com

James S.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »

X10: The DS10A's are completely dead after replacing batteries. Can not even attempt to register with DS7000 console. I double checked the batteries condition and proper polarity and that is not the problem. For some unknown reason, the DS10A's do not power up again after battery replacement, so the test button does not even respond. Last time this happen I had to replace the DS10A's to correct the problem. Since it was over a year since purchased I was unable to return for replacement. Perhaps next time I should replaced the batteries on a eleven month cycle just in case this happens again.

James S.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »

X10:  I left the batteries removed from the DS10A's Door/Window sensors for a couple of days and rechecked the defective ones. I discovered that the two seconds recommend in the instructions for setting a new code was not enough time. On the older units, I was successful at getting all the DS10A's to work by holding the test button for five to ten seconds. Perhaps this new information will help anyone having trouble with the DS10As after replacing the batteries.

X10Securitysystems

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
    • X10 Security Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »

Hi James,
 Congratulations on solving the DS10A sensor problem you were having, and thank you very much for sharing your newly learned information with all of us. I am quite certain that this technique will help a lot of people in the future...

Thanks again,

X10SecuritySystems Team
X10 Security Systems Advisor
X10SecuritySystems.com

KH

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 03:48:53 AM »

You know I have more problems with these wireless sensors then anything else.  I have a theory of what is happing to mine which may help some of you.  I have a double set of French doors.  So to save sensors I placed the transmitter on one door which is normally stationary and the magnet on the one which opens.  The problem is they last for about a week then the system goes haywire only with those two sensors which go out.  Now I noticed not any one of my other doors are having problems; I theorize it is because the transmitter is on the wall which is more secure for the electronics/transmitter and it does not receive as much sock from the doors being opened and closed.  So far my theory is working.  But who knows… 

Prospectively, any brands of wireless sensors are problematic.  One of the largest causes for problems in wireless sensors is battery limitation.  I wonder why manufactures have not figured out how to transmit directly to a device instead of broadcasting omni-directional which seriously has an effect on batteries.

VF

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 12:44:16 AM »

I, too am a new user.  I am having difficulty with the my console continually chiming after installing a new door sensor.  I registered it, installed it, put the Console back to RUN1.  When I "Arm" the system, it continually chimes.  I am stumped as to how to fix this and would appreciate any assistance.

thanks,
Valerie

Hey James,

I have to ask you if you registered the DS10A's sensors with the console after you replaced the batteries. When the batteries are replaced, the registration to the console is typically lost. Then the console and sensors cannot communicate until they are registered again. For more info on this process click this link...http://www.x10securitysystems.com/setup_sensors.html. Hopefully this helps, if you did re-register and  it still doesn't work we should be able to figure out your problem.

Thanks

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 09:49:53 AM »

I, too am a new user.  I am having difficulty with the my console continually chiming after installing a new door sensor.  I registered it, installed it, put the Console back to RUN1.  When I "Arm" the system, it continually chimes.  I am stumped as to how to fix this and would appreciate any assistance.

Valerie: Have you verified on the console that the door sensor you just installed is the culprit?

Could you have possible registered the new door sensor twice?

Sometimes it's best to just do a reset and re-install your sensors (and remotes).

VF

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:02:57 AM »

All of the above could be the issue....
1)  I did not verify that the door sensor was corrupt (don't know how);
2)  I very well could have registered it twice or three times;
3)  How do you do a reset?  I have installed a horn, motion sensors and door sensors, do I reset all of those?

Thanks for your prompt assistance!
Valerie

Valerie: Have you verified on the console that the door sensor you just installed is the culprit?

Could you have possible registered the new door sensor twice?

Sometimes it's best to just do a reset and re-install your sensors (and remotes).

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 11:39:28 AM »

To do a reset:

• 1) Unplug console from wall

• 2) Remove 9V battery

• 3) Wait 10 Seconds

• 4) Re-connect battery

• 5) Plug console into wall

• 6) Re-install all door/window sensors, motion detectors and remotes

Any lights or sirens are ok since they don't get registered with the console.

A suggestion: write down the order of the sensors/detectors as you install them, then if there is a problem you can match up the number with the LED number on the console.

Note: In case you are not aware, if you have more than 8 sensors/detectors then you have to press and hold the bypass button on the console if you want to see their LED status.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.