Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automating and "webifying" suggestions for a large area  (Read 3769 times)

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Automating and "webifying" suggestions for a large area
« on: March 11, 2006, 02:29:41 AM »

WARNING! -- I tend to ramble and "subject hop". I try to "clean up and organize" after I've written a long post but ...

OK, here's my current list of parts followed by several questions about what may be best for me.

1 - RR501
1 - TM751
1 - KR22a
5 - UR19A
1 - (other remote - 2 module on-off only)
1 - CR12A
5 - WS467
2 - XM13A
1 - XC19A
1 - XC18A
1 - VR31A
2 - MS14A
2 - UX23A (don't ask -- I think I bought 2 package deals that included it)
1 - LM465
2 - (older screw in lamp modules -- not in front of me to get the number -- have code wheels)

What I want to do:

Fully automate and "webify" my home AND possibly remote control from multiple points on 2 acres that will be used for parties/camping.

I *LOVE* X-10 products as a low cost home automation product.

I *HATE* their advertising tactics and website with a passion. I will *NEVER* buy direct from X-10 again. I will buy from resellers (and I have one who provides VERY responsive customer service with limited ability to actually suggest which products to buy -- quick refund when I bought something then wasn't sure it was what I needed and caught hem before they shipped).

OK, I'm looking at buying AHP (with CM15A), IWitness, VA11A, MyHouse Online as a starting point.

I need to know ... can the "online control and viewing" software be used WITHOUT connecting to view.x10.com or whatever? IE, can they be run "standalone" if one has a way to determine the IP address of the machine they are running on?

The whole purpose of the remote software is so I can monitor my home remotely and no-one else can have a peek while I'm home (or not). I plan to leave it running on a headless machine and do most of my controlling via my WiFi equipped laptop. The only reason I can see in forcing customers to connect to an x10.com server any time the software is running is to make the access available to x10. There is absolutely no reason x10 should have access to the "server ID" and username/password of every person in the world who uses their software to remote control/view their home. Initial ONE TIME verification of a registration code is one thing, continuing tracking is quite another.

If the software forces you to give access to x10, does anyone know of any alternate software for web access with the same CONTROL features -- macros and timers are a nicety, not a necessity. I want the ability to control modules remotely as if I were sitting at the computer connected to the CM15A and also the ability to view multiple cameras remotely. I am frequently away from home on business for several days at a time but I almost always have internet available.

I do have the ability to run my own web server and database if that's all that would be required to use the x10 software without actually connecting to the x10 servers.

Step 1 at the house will be local cameras and fan/light control.

I need suggestions for signal amplification to ensure the X10 signal always reaches the modules. I've located the schematics for a passive line coupler but I'd like amplification as well. When I reach the point that I'm wiring things at the other end of my property I'd like control to be able to reach the end of a 300' cable run. I plan to add several SR731's when I reach that point so RF controllers will work from anywhere.

And, for now, I need to track down the modules I need to control incandescent lights, flourescent lights (dimming would be nice), ceiling fans (speed control??). I obviously already have a handle on the incandescent lamps. I'd like to switch to "2-way" modules at some point -- I can only find the LM14A for that, is there a wall switch replacement module like the WS467 with "2-way" communication capability?

Flourescents with dimming would be nice so I can switch all the bulbs in the house out with the low draw flourescent replacement bulbs that are avalable with standard incandescent type bases now.

Fans with speed control -- I have 5 ceiling fans in the house.

Any suggestions welcome -- especially in the web-control software area. After reading the Myhouse setup documentation it does look like it requires going through myhouse.x10.com for every connection. No thanks. I may be forced to use it as a temporary solution but it's not ideal ..... HEY!, if AHP is running on a WinXP box then simply using a remote desktop connection should work, right?

OK, discuss at will.

Thanks all,

Gerald

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Automating and "webifying" suggestions for a large area
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 07:14:59 AM »

Any suggestions welcome -- especially in the web-control software area. After reading the Myhouse setup documentation it does look like it requires going through myhouse.x10.com for every connection. No thanks. I may be forced to use it as a temporary solution but it's not ideal ..... HEY!, if AHP is running on a WinXP box then simply using a remote desktop connection should work, right?
MyHouse requires going threw their server as of now I seen that they're looking at being able to change that down the road but as of now you don't want it. There are several other things you can use.Remote desk top as you mentioned, X10dispatcher (freeware addon ) actualy I've seen a few made with the SDK. Real VNC (freeware) used it for years works with any OS. one of these should work until MYhouse works the way you want it ! hey you may not want it after you try the freebies! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Automating and "webifying" suggestions for a large area
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 08:44:42 PM »

OK, I've decided on these items

AHP with CM15A
iWitness
SmartMacros AHP plugin
XX20A for the garage view
XPDI3 -- a couple of them for fans
VA11A
VK74A (one or two of them)
SR731 (at least one to start with to help motion sensor range)
MS14A (one for the new cam and a couple more to "play with")

Other suggestions? I'm going to use WinXP's remote capabilities for rwmote viewing/operation for now.

Gerald

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.