Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motion Sensors False Alarms  (Read 4680 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Motion Sensors False Alarms
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:31:14 AM »

Hi guys I've had 2 false alarms since the beginning of the year! Every time it happens I think someone might be walking around my house so I have to call my neighbors and usually leave work or if I'm out run home immediately. Just wondering what the major cause of false alarms is in x10 motion detectors, it's my understanding that it could be RF. I've heard they aren't that well shielded and suffer from interference.  ???

Tcj

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Motion Sensors False Alarms
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:46:18 PM »

Motion sensors are very sensitive I've read of tree movement seting them off.
You may have to narrow the field of view and raise the angle so cats don't set it off! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 04:23:21 PM »

The motion sensors are IR triggered so that is more likely the problem. They are very sensitive and some here have modified them for less sensitivity.

tom j

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 04:55:09 PM »

Hi Brian could you give me details on that modification? really would appreciate it. Also do you think better shielding would help? I have friends with wireless systems not x10's and they tell me they never get false alarms. My parents have a hardwired motion detector and in 10 years haven't got one!! think it's all in the design. As a matter of fact I had an OLD x10 Motion detector the one's that use to take 9 volts and in 8 years that's how long it lasted before it died (pretty good for x10) I never got a false alarm (in two step), been pledged with them as of late. I would place all of them on the two step but I just don't trust them because I've sometimes been able to walk up to them from across the room and take the batteries out without them going off. Only have one really reliable x10 motion detector that works in the 2 step mode, and it never goes off by mistake. If I could do some kind of mod and maintain reliability that would be great! Thanks again.

Tcj

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 06:12:39 PM »

The mods I saw now that I found the saved web page was for an MS14a motion detector. I don't know if you can apply it to a DS10a Security Sensor.
I have also seen some putting waxed paper over the lens do deaden the sensitivity.

http://www.edcheung.com/automa/ms14a.htm

tom j

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »

Thanks for the help I'm going to put up a wish list for the home security forum where folks can suggest possible improvements. Hopfully x10 will be paying attention to our concerns. I'll check out the link you provided. Thanks Again!

Tcj

tom j

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 08:13:21 PM »

Thanks Brian!! that link was fantastic for the little MS 14A I've been really plagued by false alarms with theses things in the daylight can't wait to try a few of the modifications. I found myself that a thin piece of electrical tape at the bottom will get rid of all false alarms by small animals, now it looks like I'll have to place a thin layer at the top to hopefully prevent false alarms from the sun I'll give it a try tomarrow. Say do you have any of these outside wondering what kind of luck you have in bright sunlight. Thanks!!

Tcj

tom j

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 01:33:32 PM »

The motion sensors are IR triggered so that is more likely the problem. They are very sensitive and some here have modified them for less sensitivity.

Hi Brian! yes I realize that but these things are tripped for no apparent reason and it's my understanding it poor isolation from (RF) Radio Frequencies. I place two in an empty room on the back of the house turned them away from the windows and any heat source and within two months they both triggered. I just did this as an experiment before I started to blame the sensor for all the false alarms I was getting in the 1 movement mode. Actually I think that 1 movement setting is way to sensitive with the poor isolation, one millisecond of RF could set it off if it's not properly shielded. I really just love motion detectors they are one of my favorite gadgets, and when properly designed and constructed are just incredible little marvels!! Got two of the little Eagal Eyes  watching my new car at night (these things are useless during the day way to many false alarms from sunlight) and after a few attempts I haven't had another problem in over a year now!! I have an alarm but I really love the added security.

Tcj

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.