Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timers won't turn lights on  (Read 5230 times)

Crazy Canuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Timers won't turn lights on
« on: March 01, 2006, 09:31:14 PM »

I have been using a cm 15a (two in fact) in my city and country houses and before that the cm 11a
Everything worked fine till I upgraded to 3.199. Then nothing worked right. I tried 3.200 and 3.201 and still problems. I uninstalled Ahp including any registry entry I could find and tried 3.198. After deleting the memory in the interface and removing the batteries and unplugging it. It seemed to work ok at my city house.

My country house is another matter. Try as I might there is no way to make a module turn on automatically. If I turn them on manually by way of the computer interface everything is fine. If I try to set a timer, and I’m talking about a standard timer here, nothing to do with dusk to dawn, either for an individual module or a macro, no lights or units will come on. If I watch my computer monitor I can see the module activate on the screen, however, even though the AHP program shows that the light is on, it isn't.

As a strange twist, every timer that is set to turn a module off works just fine. It just won't turn things on. Considering the fact that I need this for home security, I am rather concerned.

I have tried versions 175,186,187,198,200,201 to no avail. Each time down loaded over a dial-up. To say that I am fed up is an understatement.

I have tried all the above on 2 computers with the same results, one a PC the other a laptop, both running XP sp2 , both recreantly re-formatted. I have tried different locations in the house with no change.

I must state again that everything worked for over a year, including dusk to dawn timers, till this trouble.

Is there any better way of resetting the cm15a other than unplugging it and removing the batteries. Is 2 hours long enough?

By the way I have the XPCR coupler amplifier so I know the single is ok. I can operate lights in my garage over 250' away.

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Re: Timers won't turn lights on
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 12:40:32 PM »

If you can control the lights from AHP, and the "Off" portion of the timer will work, it sounds like the problem might be with the "On" command being used. What kinds of modules are you controlling? Try changing the module type for one of them in AHP to an appliance module, and then set a timer that you can watch (a couple minutes in the future, just for testing). Does that work? Are you storing the timer in the interface or running them from the PC?

Crazy Canuck

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »

Dear X-10 Pro:

Believe me I have tried just about everything that I could think of, Including changing the type of module.
The actual modules that I am using are light switches, one two way and one 3 way. I have noticed that sometimes that when I open AHP, all the lamp dimming units shown in the first room that comes up look like that they are on although they are not and the brightness level has a question mark in the area that should show the percentage of brightness. If I unplug the cm15a and plug it back in, this seems to fix it, also removing the batteries  This only happens when I open AHP. If I switch from room to room, everything looks ok.

I have tried using basic timers to control the lights, and also tried a macro on a timer to activate the lights, same situation, the macro will operate the modules if I start the macro manually, but not if the timer controls the macro. However once again, if I am looking at AHP on the computer everything looks like it's working. I have literally spent 2 1/2 solid days trying everything I could think of. I have spent hours setting timers for a couple of minutes in the future with different lights in different
 rooms to no avail. I have tried creating new profiles (ahx files) on both computers with only one module to controll in each, with the same results. I have redone my complete main profile twice with the same results.

I have also tried changing the modules in AHP from dimmable light switches to non dimming appliance modules with exactly the same results.

Also for some reason sometimes one of my outside spots come on for no reason at all. Always the same one, controlled by a 3 way light switch. I had a perfect system for for over a year, and now this. FYI I have not added or moved anything electronic or electrical in the house so that isn't a concern.

Right now I have resurrected my cm11a to turn my security lights on and am using the cm15 for everything else. I don't like doing this because It's only a stop-gap for now but at least it works. I want to get my cm15 working properly again.

Mike C

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 09:05:28 AM »

Have you tried checking the checkbox in the Macro Options in the preferences menu.  The unit will issue an On in place of Bright 100%. I also had to rebuild my ahx file after the upgrade to the latest version.  You may want to use your cm11a to help see what commands if any are being sent.  Using two computers would be helpful.

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 12:36:58 AM »

Since the patch? did this patch update the CM15A? or just software?

I have a similar problem since the patch... try reset interface with your setup and close AHP, i found it works even with the USB connected but stalls with AHP open.
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

Crazy Canuck

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:32:04 PM »

Mike C,    Thanks for the idea but the box is checked. I have spent a lot of time reading other people's problems and tried almost   everything.

Mystyx,    Exactly what patch are you talking about? If you mean the updated drivers that come with an older version of AHP, then yes I have. I have unplugged the cm15a completely and removed the batteries to no avail

What I can't understand is why the switches work in AHP but the commands are not sent, except when I do them manually. Also I have tried using my old RT505 remote to control my lights via the cm15a. Although the switches on the display operate as commanded, the lights or appliances do not. Please note that this is a different house, cm15a, and computer.

X-10 pro  I am still waiting for a response to my last message. I have just received an order from you for more switches and filters. I am expanding my systems please help solve my problems

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 01:27:32 AM »

I just meant to say try and clear interface and download timers, then close AHP program right away and see.
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.