Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Door/Window Sensor on Windows  (Read 11427 times)

bmize13

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Door/Window Sensor on Windows
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:09:16 AM »

OK... I've been messing with X10 home security for a whopping 7 days now.  So if this is an unusually stupid question, please bear with me.

I can understand now why one would want to mount the magnetic contacts to a door utilizing the screws that come with the pack... I came to that understanding at about 5:03 this morning when the alarm went off and pulled me from bed.  On one hand, I was very happy that everything worked as it should.  On the other hand, it has presented me with a new problem that I can't figure out how to solve.

I have no room to actually screw the windows contacts to the window frame.  The terminals on the back of the wired side prevent me from mounting it flush against the window frame, but the problem may extend further.  If I install screws, I won't be able to open my window... will I?  I haven't taken the window apart, but it is apparent that the screws would penetrate into the track for the window.

How have y'all done it?  I certainly don't want any more false alarms... I'll be screwing the door attachments in tonight (even though I hate drilling into my metal doors!).  I just can't figure the window out.

gomeztsi

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Door/Window Sensor on Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 02:58:06 AM »

Hello,

I don't know if anyone's responded to your request but go out and buy some 3M double sided tape.  Clean your window and frame with a little acetone.  The 3M tape is a lot stronger than what the sensors come with. 

I'm still setting up my system also, and it sure takes a lot longer than I thought it would. 

Good Luck!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 09:03:52 AM »

...I don't know if anyone's responded to your request but go out and buy some 3M double sided tape....
Good idea!
Also don't rule out a good glue.
On the dozen or so windows I have the installers mostly used double sided tape with glue used in other places. I don't think any screws were used at all. I've only had 1 failure in over 4 years and I fixed that with silicone glue.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Michael M.

• Typologist
  • Helpful Post Rating: 9
    • X10 Community
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 08:57:58 PM »

Another option is to use velcro, as it functions well as an adhesive...   :)
Read my blog at www.x10community.com/michaelm

Visit the Community Site at www.x10community.com

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 09:03:24 PM »

Another option is to use velcro, as it functions well as an adhesive...   :)
Depends on how strong the velcro adhesive is. I seen some velcro that doesn't stick worth a dip. Besides why make it easy to remove.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Rallwest

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »

There are certain surfaces that different adhesives bond and don't bond to. In construction , and especially in painting, surfaces need to be primes. Like in flooring with linoleum; the suface on which the adhesive will be applied needs to be clean, dry, and often primed (even over concrete).
Also sanding, or roughing the surface with steel wool is utilized before priming and painting, or application of adhesives.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.