Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Floodcam Lights Won't Turn Off  (Read 44915 times)

kaemack

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Floodcam Lights Won't Turn Off
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 11:57:26 PM »

chinaboy-
do u have a multiple floodcam system? do u have multiview? a vcr commanderII? do any of them work for u? did u have problems getting them 2 work?
thanks
kaemack

chinaboy

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 04:09:37 AM »

I only have one floodlight and 3 Instant on color cameras. I use multiview to record snap shots and webview to monitor the cams remotely. The only problem I have with multiview, it does not show the correct camera when going thru the different cams. I had the same problem like everyone else with the floodlight not turning off. But the steps I followed below work for me. I do have the vcr commander, but havent found the need to hook it up yet.

ETalmadge

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 03:51:56 PM »

Hey guys, mine are on their way back - enough messing with them.  Just not worth it.  As a matter of fact, I had an X10 Support Rep tell me I would be much better off and get better picture quality if I went with stand alone floodlights (like I originally had installed) and use the low-light b/w cameras.  May give this a try.  Thanks for all the suggestions and good luck to those of you that want to keep fighting the floodcam.   ;)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 04:14:28 PM »

Don't send it back, get a XPS3 switch and wire it to control the Floodcam. It will turn the power to it on when you want it on and turn it off when it's not supposed to be on.

The non Floodcam X10 floodlights have the same problem - they won't turn off in daylight hours, even it defined in AHP.  Add a XPS3, perfect control!!!!!
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

kaemack

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 01:14:13 AM »

i'm glad it worked 4 - u...i thought mine was working fine until i came home from work only to find that the flood lights had been on all afternoon/nite. a nuisance for my neighbor!!!
kaemack

chinaboy

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 12:12:01 PM »

I was just curious, I am now using the AHP to monitor and control my cameras. I am using the FloodCam VT38A. Is there a way to actually see from within AHP that the lights to the floodcam is on. I know I can tell the camera is on by the On Air indicator. But the light may be on too, and I would like to make sure that stays off. Also can I turn the lights on but the camera off or viseversa from with AHP. Thanks

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 09:31:28 PM »

Get a XPS3 switch and wire it to control the Floodcam. It will turn the power to it on when you want it on and turn it off when it's not supposed to be on.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

daboysjason

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 08:59:59 AM »

I'm having the same problem as with quite a few people I see from searching X10's website.  I did come across 1 post which I am going to try tonight.  Try setting your floodlights further away from your motion detector (i.e. spread them further apart or maybe up or down)  Apparently the heat from the lights can cause the sensor to trip as they are heat sensors not actual motion detectors. 

I had these hooked up to my previous house and everything ran fine for over 2 years, but I do admit I had the lights pointing directly down while the camera was actually facing directly straight out, Well good luck, I will try it tonight and report back in a few days.  If anyone else trys please let us all know before people start going crazy around here....lol

Cheers
Jason

hphandyman

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 10:07:53 PM »

Hi all,
I have figured out the cause of the lights NOT turning off. I fixed mine after three months, three different vt38a's, umpteen times up and down the ladder, etc. etc.  I put the light up for the third time on Saturday, that night the lights came on when motion was detected and it was after dark.  But they would not go out.  Sunday I brought the lights down again and tested the vt38a plugged in to the wall and a detached light, it worked fine most of the time.  One time when the light was pointed slightly towards the motion detector it locked on, but the rest of the time it worked fine.  Back up the ladder, this time I installed the floodcam as far away as possible from the light, but still pointing in the same direction, as that is where you want the light and camera to point.  Darkness, motion, light locks on again!  Took a few mental pictures and thought about it today.  Tonight I taped a 2"x2" piece of metal (solid dark plastic will work) to the side of the floodcam under the hood.  Tonight it works fine.  I can now put my ladder away.

Here is the problem;  Floodcam circuitry turns OFF and ON the light only if it's dark.  If the bulb is mounted so that it sheds even a small amount of light on the motion detector, the detector assumes it is daylight and then fails to turn off the lights.  They are locked on.  My shield keeps the light off the sensor so it doesn't think it is day. 

Depending on the mount location and angle to view the lights may work fine for many people.  If the view angle is in line with the three mount holes the lights would probably be ahead or behind the camera and not shine directly on the sensor.  In my case the view angle was 90 degrees to the three mount holes, thusly the sensor and light(s) are beside each other and reflect onto the sensor causing the problem.

For X-10 floodcam engineers, the fix is to have motion turn on the lights if it is dark and turn off the lights when motion times out all the time, day or night.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 10:11:59 PM by hphandyman »

chinaboy

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 11:35:35 PM »

Interesting find!!! I am confused to where you are putting the metal piece. You said you put the metal on the side under the hood. Are you referring to the lid where the settings are located? Are you saying that this method will allow me to turn the lights in any direction and still work without problems.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 12:30:51 AM »

Interesting find!!! I am confused to where you are putting the metal piece. You said you put the metal on the side under the hood.

Without actually owning a Floodcam (but owning PR511s and other similar photo/motion sensitive floodlights; i.e. remember the HeathKit folks? IIRC, only allowed 3 Housecodes: A, B, C), I'd venture a guess that hphandyman is advising that you BLOCK *ANY* light from the floodlights (that turn ON) from reaching the Floodcam's Window (where the photocell and motion sensors are located).

I had a similar problem, years ago, with a non-X10 Motion Detector Floodlight, when light from the base of the bulbs was escaping via a ΒΌ" CLEAR gap and 'confusing' the sensor. I solved it by spray-painting the base of the bulbs with heat-resistant (backyard grill, IIRC) black paint.

So, bottom line - put the metal piece (or any 'piece' that blocks the light) *WHEREVER* it blocks the light! ;)

[COOL! 76 Posts = Sr. Member  8)  (I wonder what 76 'Not Helpfuls' is?  ;D]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:34:05 AM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

hphandyman

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 09:06:20 PM »

Hi again

I actually used a 2X5" piece of metal taped on to the side of the flood cam placing it forward in line with the hood over the motion detector.  Then the light beside the sensor cannot leak light into the motion detector.

Thanks

RockinDolphin

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 08:42:04 PM »

Hey, y'all!

It's been quite a while since I was on the forum and it looks like they've changed everything but the quality of the products!

Do you happen to have a Ninja camera base working with these two Flood-Cams? Or, are you using a Ninja remote? I have discovered that, if you use a Ninja remote in conjunction with Flood-Cams, the Flood-Cam lights will not turn off. I also once had a problem where a Flood-Cam was turning off and on repeatedly. It was a case of light bouncing off an object on the porch which made the camera think it was daytime, so the light switched off. I just quit using the day/night feature. 'Hope this helps!

~Kenny

immyfish

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 02:58:34 PM »

Just bumping this to the top as it seems like some viable solutions here. Thanks to those who contributed, and any updates on the success/failure of your fixes? Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.