Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: is x10 right for this?  (Read 3275 times)

theMezz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
is x10 right for this?
« on: April 07, 2006, 02:32:08 PM »

I need to construct a panel with 12 light bulbs of which any one of them can be turned on by a remote wireless device (maybe something like a remote car starter)

Someone would notice the on light - do a particular action and then reset the light to off.

Is X10 a good way to do this?

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: is x10 right for this?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 05:38:06 PM »

Yes.  X10 could work well for this.

For the panel you could use 12 either lamp or appliance modules (I would reccomend the appliance modules if you don't need to dim the lights), but that might be a pain since you would need 12 electrical outlets spaced far enough appart to let you plug them all in. 

A better option would be to use in-line modules which could be wired into the electrical box behind the lights.  They are more expensive, but the result would be much neater.  X10 doesn't sell them directly but check out Automated Outlet for your best price on them.

You will also need a transceiver (such as the TM751 or the CM15A from ActiveHome Pro) to convert the RF signals from the remotes to powerline.

To turn the lights on and off, you will need some remotes.  The Palm Pad Controller will let you control 16 lights in banks of 8 (you have to slide a switch to switch between banks), the Credit Card Controller will let you control 4 sequential lamps and the keychain remote will let you control 2 sequential lamps.  All of these remotes have buttons to brighten and dim the lights, but you probably don't need that.

You can also get computer interfaces.  One could have the CM15A and others could use the CM17A.

I hope this helps.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.