Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED - How to, and what product to get?  (Read 3442 times)

sportsplanet

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
HELP NEEDED - How to, and what product to get?
« on: April 16, 2006, 05:03:06 AM »

Dear all,

I do not have an electrical enginering background.

I want to develop a PC billing system (for a snooker venue) that is activated by normal wall light switches. Eg. When the lights of a particular snooker table is switched on, the controller sends a signal to the PC (possible via the serial port) and the PC handles the billing based on the time the lights are turned on (and off).

I can handle the PC software, but what I don't know how to do is to send a signal that is readable by the PC when the light switch is turned on and off. I will need to know which switch is being turned on and off, and a signal informing whether the switch is being turned on OR off.

I believe some sort of control circuit/controller that is linked to the switch (and the PC through the serial or parallel port) is required to pass a readable signal message to the PC.

Anybody can put me in the right direction or advice on what I can do? What product should I get?

Much thanks in advance.

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Re: HELP NEEDED - How to, and what product to get?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 01:14:12 PM »

This might work best using ActiveHome Pro's USB interface and SDK, and some X10 Pro products to control lights and send signals. In-wall keypads (XPT & XPT1) plus inline control modules (XPDF or XPFM depending on the types of lights) will allow you to send a signal to the computer and turn the light on or off.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 02:30:16 PM »

This might work best using ActiveHome Pro's USB interface and SDK, and some X10 Pro products to control lights and send signals. In-wall keypads (XPT & XPT1) plus inline control modules (XPDF or XPFM depending on the types of lights) will allow you to send a signal to the computer and turn the light on or off.

This would work, but a better solution might be to use 2-way wall switches (switches which will transmit their status) to control the lights.  Unfortunately X10 doesn't make 2-way wall switches, but several other manufacturers do (including Leviton, SmartHome and ACT).  Probably the best (and most affordable) module would be the SmartHome ICON Switch (either Dimmer or On Off Switch).  These also have the advantage of being Insteon compatible, so you could migrate to that technology in the future if you want.

ericb

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »

You could also use the LM15A Socket Rocket (or the WS467 wall switch or XPDF In-Wall Fixture Module)with the SS13A Slimline Switch. All these products, excepting the XPDF, are often available at a deep  discount (I've seen 80% or more) if you buy five or so. This will be a *lot* cheaper than buying two-way wall switches.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.