Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Error communicating with AHP USB Interface  (Read 12259 times)

KimiD

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Error communicating with AHP USB Interface
« on: April 14, 2006, 09:34:23 AM »

AHP CM15A was working.  Now I keep getting "An error has occurred while communicating with your ActiveHome USB Interface.  To make sure your timers and macros continue to run, click OK to download your settings to the interface" no matter what I do.  I have unplugged, plugged, rebooted, changed USB ports, reinstalled software per other posts to this site...nothing works.  Clear interface memory starts then hangs.  I am using AHP v3.203 and WinXP Pro.  Windows says the USB's are working.  The error keeps showing up as long as AHP is running.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Error communicating with AHP USB Interface
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 11:17:16 AM »

AHP CM15A was working.  Now I keep getting "An error has occurred while communicating with your ActiveHome USB Interface.  To make sure your timers and macros continue to run, click OK to download your settings to the interface" no matter what I do.  I have unplugged, plugged, rebooted, changed USB ports, reinstalled software per other posts to this site...nothing works.  Clear interface memory starts then hangs.  I am using AHP v3.203 and WinXP Pro.  Windows says the USB's are working.  The error keeps showing up as long as AHP is running.
I had a simular problem about a year ago after an Update. I think reverting to a previous version fixed the problem then I down loaded the update and reinstaled it.
I may have had to make a new Ahx file as well. At one point it got corrupt with a Update, Luckly I had a good backup copy.
Also and you may not be able to do this:  ::) I had AHP installed on another PC and I could clear the memory on that PC which may have helped!
Sorry I can't be of more help but I did experiance your exact problem at one point and was able to get it working I Know I posted it but at one point alot of old posts on the old board were lost ::) and it may have been one of them! ??? if you did deep into the forums you may find it! ??? I'll also see if I can find the post! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

KimiD

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 11:33:11 AM »

Tuiceman,
I think you're on to something.  I searched for an ahx file and clicked on a sample one and it did not display the error.  When I clicked on the most recent sample ahx file, it did.  How do I recreate my ahx file?  Thank you.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 11:56:44 AM »

Creating a new file is easy (but Alot of work if you configuration is large)
1: click on file
2:click on New
3: add you modules
4:Click file then save as and name it something you'll remember maybe KimiD AHP will save as kimd.ahx
if you exit AHP when you reload it loads this file.
go to AHP folder find this file and save it to a floppy or cd for backup also saving to a different location on your hard drive works but not if your PC fails.
I also found an old message I posted Although not the one I was looking for but it does mention puting the CM15a on another machine to get it working. ;) :D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

KimiD

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 12:36:32 PM »

Sorry.  It didn't work.  And eventually the sample ahx got the same error.  Thank you.

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »

Unplug the interface from the USB port, then unplug it from power and remove the batteries. Connect it to USB again, then plug it into the wall. If you don't get the error any more, put the batteries in.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 12:49:04 PM »

One more thing to add to X10 Pros post try turning off the pc do what he discribed and reboot I had to do this when I added AHP to my 98 machine inorder for it to see the AHP USB device  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

KimiD

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 08:44:29 AM »

It wouldn't work with the batteries so they weren't even being used.  I tried all the recommendations.  Finally, I sent my problem to X10 support and received a RMA for a defective CM15A.  Thanks for responding Tuiceman.

kevreid

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:30:41 PM »

I have had exactly this problem. I have tried batteries in out, usb connect disconnect pc re-boot, software reload, earlier versions, later versions. New files created from scratch. Originally a serial interface but that started doing it so changed to the cm12 USB (UK socket - not CM15 USA Socket) Still doing it - I sent the CM12 back under a RMA and the new one does the same.

I ran for 3 years originally before this error started appearing now it happens every few days. I have rebuilt the file without macros and that makes no difference.

has this problem gone away for everyone else or have you found a way to get rid of it for good.

Thanks

Kev

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 01:48:27 PM »

I'm not sure what's going on, but it almost sounds like a problem with the USB port itself.
I had similar symptoms when I was using a USB-over-CAT5 extender.

A few questions:
1. Are you plugging the CM12 directly into the PC, or are you going through a hub (powered or unpowered)?
2. Have you tried replacing the USB cable?
3. Have you tried a different USB port?
4. How long is the USB cable you are using?
5. What other USB devices do you have plugged into the PC, and do any of them get plugged and removed on a regular basis (like USB drives, etc)?

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 01:56:20 PM »

One other thing -
I am guessing you are using the European version of the software. Have you checked for a newer version?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 02:18:17 PM »

CM12 is similar to our CM11A it runs Active Home not Active Home Pro.
There are some tips on this sales page for communications problems.
http://www.letsautomate.com/10075.cfm
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:24:22 PM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »

CM12 is similar to our CM11A it runs Active Home not Active Home Pro.
There are some tips on this sales page for communications problems.
http://www.letsautomate.com/10075.cfm
Thanks for explaining that.
From that description, it looks like the CM12 comes with a USB-to-Serial adapter, but it still a serial device at heart.
I really don't know what else to suggest, other than the usual "What changed?" that applies any time something stops working properly.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »

-:) Oh our AHP was updated for the older CM11A interface.
Maybe the European version of AHP was also updated for the CM12 like ours was for the CM11A.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.