Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multipule wired cams  (Read 47705 times)

John E

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Multipule wired cams
« on: May 03, 2006, 08:33:44 PM »

I am looking into the kits for multipule wired cams and just cant see how they are all hooked up together with the on receiver????    Somebody please give me some help on this..   Is there a splitter that I have to buy or what??

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: Multipule wired cams
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 07:44:14 AM »

I  had two of these cameras. I hooked them up to my TV through my VCR which had two selectable inputs. Short of doing this you  could buy an "A"/"B" switch from Radio Shack.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

gumby801

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:36:58 AM »

Another way to go would be a 'modulator'.  A modulator will convert an A/V signal and assign it to TV channel 3 or 4.  More expensive modulators can assign a TV channel of your choosing (CH. 14 - 78) or even multiple channels.  They are available from 1 to 4 input signals.  Google it and you can find many out there.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:03:01 AM »

I believe there are also video switches made. Multiple Video Inputs to a single output going to the monitor.

nfm1

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 06:35:04 AM »

check out Mace.com for splitters

swoods1701

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 03:00:51 PM »

Hello this is my first post and I felt like that I may have some helpful information that may answer some questions about more than one camera at a time.  I currently have 7ea  X-10  cameras black and white and color x-cam and 4 other cameras and I am able to view them all.  I have a quad switch that will split into eight screens on to the TV and I take the eight screen and put a multiple switch so that screen rotates those cameras works just great.  The X-10 cameras are just great for this type of system and I record all cameras at the same time on my harddrive like a DVR....Super low price system just as good as most small store security cameras.  Please feel free to ask questions.....

nfm1

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 07:11:49 PM »

SWoods... 

On your multiple cams (non X-10)  how do you get them to be available via the macros or when you click on the GO LIVE.. are they just ALL on the screen together?

miesk5

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 12:05:26 PM »

ty swoods1701 !!! :)

what brand quad switch do you use?

tia

Frantz

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 02:06:33 AM »

I would like to know what brands you are using as well.  I have 6 cameras and no way to hook them all up to view.

Lexington_Browns

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 04:33:54 PM »

What was recommended to my by X10 support was to use Y connectors to cascade the 4 cameras I have down to the one input to the VCR.  I balked at this but X10 support said that if a camera is on and it sees an ON signal for a camera with a different address then the first camera will turn off.

This seemed to be the way it works.  I had to skip address numbers when using the motion detectors so that they would turn off and on. 

However I was checking on them today and discovered that the two camera's that were working fine are not working at all now.  So I have to wonder what caused that. 

From the FAQ I was looking at today it looks like they recommend either the Y cable or using a multiplexer.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 04:56:10 PM »

X10 groups their controls for cameras in groups of 4  1 - 4  5 - 8   9 - 12 and 13 - 16. In a group when a cam is turned on the other 3 are switched off. So when you use a Y connector to cascade everything into one feed, there is only one signal at the last connection.

I use 2 non-X10 cams and have them hooked to appliance modules and when switching from one cam to another the 2 non-X10 cams have to be switched off first manually..
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

hocuspocus

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 03:11:30 PM »

A search on Amazon gave me the following results:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e/102-7098559-4416149?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=Video+Quad+Processor+&Go.x=14&Go.y=15

I believe one of these should work in this case scenario.

mikebhoff

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 12:41:36 PM »

I'm missing something.  What is the advantage of switching cameras on and off with x10 addresses.  Why not leave them all on and switch video signals?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 12:51:37 PM »

Wireless cameras have to be switched on one at a time or they interfere with each other. I don't think wired ones would have to be power switched on one at a time.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 02:52:04 PM »

I'm missing something.  What is the advantage of switching cameras on and off with x10 addresses.  Why not leave them all on and switch video signals?

I have an auto-switcher that can scan through four different cameras. It allows me to predetermine the time it spends on each camera.

There are also quads that will allow you to capture several (generally 4) tiny images at the same time. There may be any number of ways to switch video that I haven't tried... or even heard of.

The real advantage to switching cameras on or off.... is only capturing (or viewing) what needs to be viewed. X10's ad says: "catch only the action" (or something like that). Using X10's "system" allows for complete integration and control of lights, alarms, cameras, recording... and sending images via email. Most commanly this is done by motion (detection) sensors to activate everything. Not to say... all that couldn't be done with some sorta software driven computerized switching system.... but how much would that cost?

X10's system is simple..... easy enough to set-up... and affordable.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:01:54 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.