Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starting order  (Read 5006 times)

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Starting order
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:24:24 AM »

OK, after reading here a while I'm about to place my order to further expand my current basic setup. I was going to wait until I had the dedicated computer for AHP finished but transferring my mail server stuff to a new machine is proving to be a pain in the rear so it won't be available for a while. I'll run AHP on my "play box" for now to test it out.

Here's what I'm starting with. Total including shipping from a third party dealer is going to be right at $300.

>  1  4816H SignaLinc Hardwired Phase Coupler -$13.99 ($2.50)
>  1  VA11A USB video adapter for cameras - $32.99 ($2.50)
>  1  CM15A package (CM15A + ActiveHome Pro software)- $49.99 ($4.75)
>  1  IWitness plugin for AHP - $29.99
>  1  SmartMacros plugin for AHP - $19.99
>  4  MS16A motion detector - $31.98 ($6.25)
>  1  1135K WGL V572AB all housecde transceiver - $89.99 ($12.50)

That should give me a basic, stable system with phase coupling and extended RF range.

I have to do some rewiring before I add a lot of control modules. The guy who originally built the house I'm buying was an electrician, but he was a lineman  :-\ . There is stuff like having two ceiling fans AND their light fixtures all wired to a single wall switch and sharing a single hot/neutral. Cheap fans with lights that flicker when the fan is running/vibrating. No wiring to the garage at all. Wall sockets that don't work though no breakers are tripped. Outside lights (motion sensor type) connected by putting a plug on the cable and plugging them into outdoor receptacles.

Right now I have a WS467 on one bathroom light. An SL575 on one ceiling fan light in the living room and one SL575 controlling a bedroom light. An RR501 doing the tranceiving and controlling a lamp as my "doorbell" using an MS14A and an LM465 controlling a set of 120V rope lights on the dusk-to-dawn "one code higher" setting of the MS14A. (I use the LM465 so I can dim he rope lights if I want to kick back on the porch on a cool evening).

Later I'll add the following which will be about another $300:

>  4  XPDI3 Inductive dimmer (for fans)- $63.96 ($11)
>  2  VK74A Ninja pan/tilt - $49.98 ($12.50)
>  1  XX20A Low light B/W camera - $29.99 ($3.75)
>  6  SS13A Slimline Wall Switches - $25.98 ($7.50)
>  2  SC503 Wired Maxi Controller - $31.98 ($8)
>  3  KR22A Credit Card remote - -$12.99 ($3.75)
>  3  AM466 3 pin appliance module - $23.99 ($4)

I'm trying to decide what to do for my fan-mounted light fixtures. I have some SL575 modules now and was going to buy LM15A modules since they are the "replacement" for the SL575. Then I discovered the LM15A does not dim. That sucks. I want to be able to control my 4-light fixtures in pairs to allow greater variation between full dim and full bright. I guess I'll have to rewire the lights internally and run 3 hots to each fixture to use wall switches (1 hot for fan and 1 for each pair of lights).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Starting order
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:05:36 PM »

Don't forget the video reciever which your VA11A connects to to recieve signals from your cams Unless you already have one! many have forgotten this and not been told of it when ordering from third party dealers.
The 1135K WGL V572AB all housecode transceiver  may not be needed and for $89.99 ($12.50) I'd wait and see!
As for your later adds I'd stay away from the credit card remotes I never could get them to work more then 2 feet (I have 3 of them) the 4 button key flobs are much better!
and the low light cam you probly won't be happy with my color wide-eye cam works just as well as the low light maybe better. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 01:23:15 PM »

I've seen X10 specials for the above with all the plugins for less.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

phorce1

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 03:24:34 PM »

Don't forget the video reciever which your VA11A connects to to recieve signals from your cams Unless you already have one! many have forgotten this and not been told of it when ordering from third party dealers.
The 1135K WGL V572AB all housecode transceiver  may not be needed and for $89.99 ($12.50) I'd wait and see!
As for your later adds I'd stay away from the credit card remotes I never could get them to work more then 2 feet (I have 3 of them) the 4 button key flobs are much better!
and the low light cam you probly won't be happy with my color wide-eye cam works just as well as the low light maybe better. ;)

I didn't list the stuff I own but don't have connected to anything yet.

1 wireless color cam
1 wireless wide-eye color cam
1 (or mayb 2) audio/video recievers
2 VCR Commanders
another MS14A
5 or 6 of the 6-in-1 black remotes
1 5-in-1 learning remote that never has worked for X-10 stuff
1 KR22A (that I've had work fine with my RR501 at well over 30')
1 (2 button) key-fob remote that eats batteries like there's no tomorrow

I may be missing random other stuff since I'm not looking in my toybox right now.

I could never get satisfactory results from the wide-eye in low light conditions. If I decide I want GOOD video I may go with wired cameras from another company later and modify the X10 camera power bricks to operate the power on those cameras. We have some REALLY nice ones that provide their own IR light at night up here at work. $1500 for the full DVR system and 2 cameras is a bit much but roughly $100 per camera isn't bad. At night with their IR beams they are good to about 20'. With a floodlight they show up whatever is lit. During the daytime you can spot a dime in the parking lot at 50'. I should be able to use the low voltage output from the X10 camera power packs to control a relay to turn on the 12V or 24V power supply for the better camera. Just need to find out if the addressable power supplies are available separate as "repair" parts.

I'm getting the 572AB because I want extended range outdoors. My house is small enough that I *KNOW* I don't need it for day-to-day use inside (unless I get a bad CM15A with range that sucks bullets). I want all housecodes to be available so if I get a bad CM15A then using my RR501 to trancieve won't help when  inside lights are on I and cameras are on C and outside lights are on O.

Plus, my house is set up like this -  HOUSE|CARPORT|GARAGE I plan to put the 572AB antenna outside at the corner of te house nearest the carport/garage so I will have wireless control available from inside the garage.

I'm also considering mounting KR22A's in to wall plates and making battery packs using 4 AA cells in parallel. They'd never need changing PLUS, the KR22a offers one feature that NONE of the stick-on or wired "keypads" offers -- on/off control of *4* units plus dim/bright. All of the "prety keypads" only operate 3 units. The wireless ones operate 3 on/off plus dim bright. The wired keypads can operate 4 devices but only for on/off. If you want dim/bright you drop back to 3 units on/off + dim/bright.

With the circuitry for the KR22A available why does X10 limit the BIGGER wall switch sized keypads like that? They could build a very nice looking 9 button unit (8 + dim) in the same space.

My bedrooms each have 2 ceiling fans with single-bulb light fixtures attached. Need 4 buttons for full control. With my Dremel, a solderig iron, and cyanoacrylate I should be able to flush-mount the KR22A in a standard faceplate and build a battery pack that "never dies" and fits in a wall box.

phorce1

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 03:29:07 PM »

I've seen X10 specials for the above with all the plugins for less.

I hate the X10 sales site with a passion. I would rather find a third party distributor with STABLE low prices and order everything from them. Allowing X10 to spam me as I wait for a good "special", or plowing through the "used car salesman on crack" website looking for specials is just something I'm no longer willing to put up with.

The website was designed to make quick sales to the uninformed. Like the impulse items beside every cash register in any retail store.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.