Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two Questions regarding camera recordings  (Read 6084 times)

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Two Questions regarding camera recordings
« on: May 13, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »

My setup consists of AHP and all plug-ins and a TM751 (used to increase RF range).  One camera and motion sensor is in front of the house.  One camera and motion sensor is in back of the house.  Problem #1 -- When motion is detected it takes (on average) about 5-6 seconds before the cameras are activated.  Can this time be reduced or, is this about "normal" because of my setup?  Moving the motion sensors further away from the cameras is not an option. 

Problem #2 -- The cameras are set to record video on my PC for 30 seconds when motion is detected.  If the motion sensors send another RF signal (because of continued motion) before the 30 seconds is complete the second video recording gets clobbered (no video recorded -- just static).  The first 30 second video is recorded correctly.  The Activity Monitor shows these events;

time 1 - first RF signal received
time 6 - camera turned on
time 10 - second RF signal received
time 29 - camera is turned on
time 30 - camera is turned off  (video is O.K.)
time 60 - camera is turned off  (no video)

I have a flag set in the camera macro to clear after the 30 second recording is finished.  But as the Activity Monitor shows the camera is activated again 1 second (from the second RF signal) before the first 30 second recording is finished.  Even putting a 5 second delay at the end of the camera macro had no effect.  Do I have a Preference setting that's not correct which would cause the second video to be no good?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Two Questions regarding camera recordings
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 05:04:15 PM »

You have part of the problem figured out ! You need to use flags but you have to use conditions as well, in the condition place if flag(#) clear
This looks to see if a flag is set before starting the cam no flag set then it will run .
Note: you must set the flag as the first step in the mcro and clear it in the last step.
Hope this helps! ;)
Unless your using the instant on cams there is a delay (warm up period)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Don N

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 02:16:22 PM »

Tuicemen -- thanks for the response.

Problem #1 - since I don't have the instant-on cameras I guess I am stuck with the 5-6 second delays.  Moving the motion sensors further ahead of the cameras would certainly work.  However, I loose RF range.  Would buying TM751s and placing them in between the motion sensors and cameras help?

Problem #2 - after posting the original message (my brain started to work) and I put a condition in the macros to check if the cameras are on.  This prevented the "clobbering" of video recordings.   

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 10:23:53 AM »

Buying a tm751 (you only need one) would  help but could allso create other problems. None of which can't be over come ,others will suggest the  RR501 as it has better reception but all I use in my cam setup is the tm751 with no problems.
Not sure  of you cam setup AHP handles cams in groups of 4 eg 1-4, 5-8,7 so on. if your cams are in the same group when you switch from one to the other the warm up should be minium except on inital start up. if cams arn't in the same group you'll notice a longer warm/startup. ;) or at least I do! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Don N

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 10:59:45 AM »

Problem #1 - As I mentioned in my original message, I already have a TM751 in place.  The distance between the existing TM751 and my motion sensor is about 30 feet and through one wall.  If I could move my motion sensor another 20 feet, that would allow enough time for the camera to warm/startup.  But, I loose RF range if I move the motion sensor further away.  So maybe I'm just stuck with the delay (thus missing some action being recorded) or investing in the instant-on cameras.  Although it would seem that I should get greater range with the TM751 in-place.  And yes, my cameras are in groups of 4.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 11:49:13 AM »

Can you move your tm751 and your motion sensor! Try placing the tm751 on a heavyduty extention cord and higher as hight seems to improve reception. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Don N

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 09:16:14 PM »

Tuicemen, those are all good suggestions and I thank you but ...

I moved my motion sensor about 10 feet from it's current location and then moved my TM751 all over the place, upstairs, downstairs, living room, den, family room, bedrooms, bathrooms (hmmmm) antenna up, down, antenna horizontal, etc.  I just don't get any more RF range.  The only thing I haven't tried is a big hammer!!!!!!  Anyway, I think I will quite on trying to increase my RF range beyond the current 30 feet for now.  Maybe I need to invest in noise filters for my UPSs, PCs and surge protectors or invest in something to test the circuits.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:36:06 AM »

Don: All good Ideas for you X10 setup they won't help with your RF range issue but will help with PLC issues.
Another option (although it isn't recommended) is to place your tm751 outside if you can protect it from the elements so it has a straight line of sight to you motion sensor.
Many newer building materials if not the tradditional WOOD could have additives that deflect the rf signal. One other simple thing to try replace your batteries with lithium ones they tend to withstand extream temps better  and others have reported good results with using them!
Keep the Hammer in the tool box It won't help I've tried  ;) :D
I just though of another easy try!
cut a small strip of wire to use as a passive antenna for the motion sensor think 6-9 inches
place it horizontaly directly over the motion sensor  using tape. I'll see if I can find the link to this mode Ive read it will increase the range.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Don N

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 10:39:03 AM »

Tuicemen -- thanks again for all the great ideas ... I'm not worthy!!!!

I tried putting a wire horizontally over the motion sensor, but nothing changed.  I did not try placing the TM751 outside, close to one of the motion sensors, because I need to keep the TM751 centrally located for the other motion sensor.  I may try the lithium batteries just to see if that helps increase the RF range.  If it does, I will definitely post the results.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »

:) Glad to help ;) :)
One more thing as I didn't realize you were using the tm751 for motions sensors for both cams. Will AHP (the CM15A) not pick up the signal from at least one of the motion sensors? that way you could locate the tm751 closer to one (the problem one) and the Cm15A monitor the other!  It would mean changing the House code on one motion sensor and setting a transcieved house code in the AHP configuration.Just a thought ???
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Don N

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 10:59:39 AM »

Tuiceman -- thanks for more good ideas.  Unfortunately, my CM15A has an RF range of about 5 feet, so using it to receive signals from the motion sensors is useless.  That's why I was trying to use the TM751 for all RF receptions.  Putting titanium batteries in the motion sensors did increase the range somewhat.  But that could be attributed to fresher (titanium) batteries versus the older (3 months) alkaline batteries that were in the motion sensors.

Question -- Can I plug-in two TM751s?  One close to each motion sensor.  Would this cause problems?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 12:13:16 PM »

You can use 2 tm751s but they "must" be asigned different housecodes and will only respond to RF on that code (means some reprograming)
I don't understand why you have such poor reception is the house new construction?(wraped in foil?  :)  ???) Try running your CM15A outside does the range increase? if not you may have a bad unit, like wise for the tm751. You should be getting better range for both ??? an exchange maybe a better option! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.