Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XCam2(xx16a)/ninja recording B&W on VCR  (Read 27911 times)

tivopro

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
XCam2(xx16a)/ninja recording B&W on VCR
« on: May 14, 2006, 06:38:26 PM »

I've recently hooked up a second xx16a/ninja combo unit up in my backyard.   My frontyard ninja has always recorded b&w on the vcr which I thought was strange being a color camera.   Live video is color but recording is b&w.   strange!

Now that I tried recording to vcr with the backyard ninja, it records color.   Something's amiss here.

Here's the setup.........

VR31A to TV.
frontyard ninja using extension cord to power unit (using ninja power supply)
backyard ninja plugged directly to wall power through windowframe. (using ninja power supply)

The only thing I can think is causing the b&w is the extension cord or a faulty ninja unit in front.

I'm using AHP with VR36A and everything records in color on the PC.

Any thoughts?

TivoPro

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: XCam2(xx16a)/ninja recording B&W on VCR
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 07:05:41 PM »

If your able to record in AHP in color then the problem is at the vcr connection.Perhaps faulty video connectors,if your not using RCA cables there switch to them. ;)
Another thought, check for metal obstructions between the two (VCR & front cam)  ???
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tivopro

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 08:07:33 PM »

I just moved the backyard ninja to the front and switched the controllers and same thing.   Back ninja color and front ninja records b&w.

Since you mentioned metal objects, would the extension cord running over the garage door cause this?   My next test would be moving the front ninja to the back to eliminate any metal objects.

I wouldn't think the RCA cables since the backyard ninja is recording in color.

I'll let you know the results.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 08:25:39 PM »

The extension cord running over the garage door shouldn't be the problem as the video is not sent threw the power line. If the door is blocking a straight line of sight from the cam to the vcr that could be the problem.Try moving the cam to one side of the door or the other if this is the case. ;)
Remember wireless Cams suffer the same problems/limitations as other RF devices only they are more vissible. :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tivopro

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 08:38:12 PM »

I just moved the front ninja indoor and did a record test and still b&w recording...weird!   As before, LIVE video is color so I know it's not a nightwatch cam(b&w).

I'm leaning toward something with the ninja pan & tilt base but what??  Unless the person who had this before me hooked up the wrong power supply (camera power supply) instead of the ninja ps.   Would that cause it to revert to b&w only?

Should I still try changing the RCA cords to see?

TivoPro

tivopro

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 09:04:54 PM »

Ok, looks like a camera problem of some sort.   I have 3 cams so I changed the cams and it's recording in color with the new camera attached to the ninja base.

Now what exactly would be wrong with the camera to do something like that?  LIVE video in color and vcr recording b&w.

Would it be best to call X10 on this or just buy a new camera?  These cams were bought in 2002.

TivoPro

Sorry for all post bought thought it might help others out if similar symptoms occur.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 10:44:21 PM »

Call support!  you've now proven it is a cam problem they may have a known issue with that cam if not it would be good to let them know. Doubt if they replace it but you never know! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.